IP Down?

Thread: IP Down?

IP Down?

We use an application which logs into a vendor's site. Since Tuesday, the application has gotten no response from the server. In addition, there has been no response from the company's web site, which is in the same IP range. Run a tracert on both IP's which times out leaving our network.

Call the company, and the tech (with accent from who knows where) tells me everything is working and that he can access the web site. I ask, "are you accessing it internally or over the internet?" He says over the internet. Not sure I believe him, but we are always making changes to our firewall, so it is possible that we are blocking it - although I can't imagine why. Tell him I'll recheck at our end.

Then occurs to me to run a tracert remotely from network-tools.com. That times out about 14 jumps out. So I conclude that it ain't us and the problem is on the vendor's end. Call back and ask them to check their server. Am I missing something? The website is www.firstamres.com
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

It resolves ok with an nslookup to 207.104.75.195 but I get no reply from either the fqdn or the ip address.

Looks like they have problems somewhere.

emr

Link works great for me! Some kinda HOST file mixup maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by InTheWayBoy
    Link works great for me! Some kinda HOST file mixup maybe?

Well the IP is resolving just not answering so I can't see that hosts files come into it.

emr

Well, now I can connect to the site from home, but not from the office (where I need to use the application). Have verified that our firewall is not blocking it. Anyone got any bright ideas?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Well, now I can connect to the site from home, but not from the office (where I need to use the application). Have verified that our firewall is not blocking it. Anyone got any bright ideas?
    the fact that it times out in your network when you traceroute indicates it's internal to your location. Do your traceroute and find the last IP that get's a result. you then need to look at that router, the problem will be there or one hop out from the router
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Are you tracert by IP or DNS name? If you are using the DNS name, try the IP instead. That will tell if this is a routing issue or a DNS issue. I had no problem going to the site. It feels to me that it is a routing issue with your ISP. Your ISP just does not know how to get that IP. But before you call the ISP, make sure it is not a DNS issue. Tracert or ping the site by IP. Thanks!
    "Computer, compute to the last digit the value of pi" -- Spock (Wolf in the Fold)

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

"Please, Spock, do me a favor ... 'n' don't say it's `fascinating'..." -- Dr. McCoy
    "No... but it is... interesting..." -- Spock (The Ultimate Computer)

I did the trace using the IP, so it shouldn't be a dns issue. I'm still leaning toward a firewall issue, since the problem started right after a firewall upgrade. I just realized that the firewall is blocking the traces to anything external, so I'm going to have to have the network techs at the main office run the trace to determine if its the router.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    I did the trace using the IP, so it shouldn't be a dns issue. I'm still leaning toward a firewall issue, since the problem started right after a firewall upgrade. I just realized that the firewall is blocking the traces to anything external, so I'm going to have to have the network techs at the main office run the trace to determine if its the router.
    Still not getting to the site from here; seems to be the same as when you originally posted and I tried it.

tracert dies at ded1-ga7-3-0.anhm01.pbi.net (64.164.49.247). That is the same result using the fqdn or the ip.

Don't know if that is any help for you?

emr

Site came back up for me late this morning. Its apparently some kind of internet backbone issue.

It was.

Akamai's DNS servers were crapping out.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    It was.

Akamai's DNS servers were crapping out.
    Strange all the same though because I was getting the same thing about two weeks ago when I checked it for hudson and am still getting it now. Guess there could still be some problems with their servers resolving after todays issues.

Saying that wasn't there a problem with Akamai's servers a few weeks back? Could be that I suppose but I remember that being the third week of May, not the beginning of June.

emr

Update on this. Site went back down for me several days later (and remains down). Here's the reason:
    The bank I work for (in New York) is a subsidiary of a South American bank. All our locations are networked, and the IP address of the firewall presents as South American. Turns out the vendor, in the interest of security, decided that nobody outside the United States needed to use its services and blocked all foreigh IP's. So now I'm in the position of having to fight the vendor for access to the application which I'm payiing for.

still dead for me.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yep still down for me. But being in England, I guess I'm a foreigner....
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"