ATI Vs. Nvidia - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ATI Vs. Nvidia

Quote Originally Posted by Larommi
    SiS
    Hey Yeah, whatabout Pine? Nobody's mentioned Pine
    Last edited by Orangeman; June 3rd, 2004 at 09:02 PM.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Quote Originally Posted by Orangeman
    Heh, XFX is a division of Pine, so I'm guilty. Hey... Stop looking at me like that. Quit it. Dammit, this does not make me a lamer.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Best Eye Candy I ever got was with a GeForce4 4200Ti 128MB card, but I accidently zapped it, and I am now using a Radeon. I sort of like the Radeon, but the driver isn't nearly as user friendly as the NVidia one is.

I would like this card a whole lot better if it was as customizable as my GeForce was.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    What's a video card? I just figured you saw the picture thingy on a monitor that plugs in the back of the computer thingy that was some sort of on-board contraption. Somethin' called S3-Trident.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    Pansy.

2x 172mm fan

6x 80mm fan

1x Smartfan 2 at fullspeed for vid card

What was that? I can't hear you.

About to add 2 more fans for HDD cooling.
    I've got mine at 530x850 with no extra fans. It's stable but everytime I play UT2004 I get a 10-15 second pause ONCE during the first 10 minutes of the game and it never happens again. Weird. I always wind up dead as a result of course.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Actually I would like 1/2 of you to buy ATI, the other half to buy nVidia. Why? because that way they both stay in business and are able to compete for your money and mine. Thus producing cutting edge stuff at competetive prices.

When this happens we all win.

Personally, I like ATI. But I would hop the fence if nVidia came out with something I liked. Unfortunatly, nVidia with their new card has this power supply requirement that I am not fond of. ATI does not have this issue with the X800 series. That alone may be the deciding factor for me.
    U.S. out of U.N.

I see this is another waste of perfectly good webspace. There is only one correct answer and it has already been given.
    Which ever provides the best bang for the buck.

I run both ATI and Nvidia, but I can see the usual NVIDIOTS at it with their closed minded lame statements, etc. I use whichever is best the day I make my purchase...
    If speed kills, then I'm already dead

I thing I like most about Nvidia is its website. Just one driver to update and its really simple to find.

Unlike ATI where its, last time I checked, a maze...
    Maze?

You pick your OS and chip family (Radeon). If a person doesnt know that, then they need to pay someone to fix their PC anyway.

I suppose its possible that you havent been to the ATI site in a few years though.
    Common sense, isn't...

Oh yeah, pine! The below $20 card!

Yeah I got one for an OLD system and it looked worse than the integrated card (but it did let the kid play her games/movies after), didn't work during the bootup and didn't work at all with the drivers it came with and good ****ing luck getting the newer drivers for it (gotta hit the sis website to get the chip drivers).

Quote Originally Posted by Momoman907
    I see this is another waste of perfectly good webspace. There is only one correct answer and it has already been given.
    Which ever provides the best bang for the buck.

I run both ATI and Nvidia, but I can see the usual NVIDIOTS at it with their closed minded lame statements, etc. I use whichever is best the day I make my purchase...

nail <-- head <-- *THWAP*

Yessir, you couldnt be more correct. I hope that someday these people you speak of (in general) will realize that unless theyre married to the company, or they have a good amount of money invested in it, then its probably pretty silly to be THAT brand-loyal without a good reason. Technology is a tool, and using the right tool for the job is what matters the most when you need to accomplish something.

Im not sure who said it first, but: "If a hammer is the only tool in your toolbox, all of your problems tend to look like nails"

This means use the best tool for the job and dont be blinded by your emotional ties to a company (or whatever). Dont be a [pick an OS - Linux, Windows, OS/2, QNX] zealot, use the best one for the task at hand. If you are ignorant of how something works, dont attack it and say it sucks, learn about it first and you might just have more than a hammer to work with. I personally dont think very highly of alot of Microsoft products, but I still use them where appropriate. Just like I use AIX and Linux where its appropriate (mission critical stuff - AIX specifically).

Bottom line people.. Drop your prejudices and use your noggin to make solid decisions. If you carry these impractical, narrow-minded, zealous views with you in your professional life, you will find that it closes more doors than it opens.

$.02
    Shal

Dont be a , open your mind and exercise some free will.
    Common sense, isn't...

Poor blid fundamentalists

Quote Originally Posted by Spork
    Bah, your furry butt doesn't know what it's talking about.

In fact, get back in the cage with my other ferret. She needs some company.
    Yah, more and more fundamentalists are arriving at this foruns: where are the reasons spork? Well, probably you are one of those guys from the football: when your team wins its the best... when it looses it still the best, they were stolen in the game.... its a shame.

In my opinion Nvidia has been the leader until the ATI 9700 or 9800 has arrived. The FX series from Nvidia are a visible she..... They have compatibility problems with DX9, with new games, etc, etc. On the other side, the modern ATI just run with no problems with the later catalyst drivers. More: its visible the best perfomance from the ATI chipsets when you enable antializing and anisotropic filtering. With the nvidias cards you cant enable them without slide show!

Of course that this diferences arent even notticed by those that just desactivate everything on the graphics configuration to bee the fastest online gamer, but those guys should have the modesty to seev that they dont know what we are talking about.

I used to bee a fan Nvidia, but now that i've tryed my 9800 i dont wont anythig more: my ATI is suberb.

Mayby in the future I will change again, but with the actual panoram there aren't many doubts: ATI wins over Nvidia.

I havent yet tried the new generation from Nvidia and ATI, but wen i doo i will have no problem at all to advise again Nvidia, if i found that their card is the new king of graphic cards.

Until then, i just stick to facts: ATI is the best card at the moment.

Greetings from the country of Sun

I prefer the old days of 3dfx

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    I prefer the old days of 3dfx
    For me, 3dfx cards almost all made text overlap on pages like this.

Really annoying cards.

My S3 Trio 2Mb is having a spot of trouble with UT.............
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Spork
    Bah, your furry butt doesn't know what it's talking about.

In fact, get back in the cage with my other ferret. She needs some company.
    This is not a football game, and im tired of fundamentalist guys, that dont present arguments.

I was a fan of Nvidia until the FX series: but because of the horrible perfomance of this cards with antialising and anisotropic filtering enabled, I changed to ATI and i am very happy.

In the past, the problems were with capatist drivers (ATI) and Detonator runned fine, but all that has changed: today, the problems are generated mostly by nvidia drivers, and catalist just run without problems. Every friend of mine that use nvidia has some new game that just refuses to run...

In the future, who knows what card will bee better? I just know that, in the present, ATI manufacture the best cards in the market.

Greetings from the country of Sun