Strong jobs growth could trim profits
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strong jobs growth could trim profits

Strong jobs growth could trim profits

I know, I know...it's Friday afternoon. But here we go: It seems as if techs changes his stupid sig every other day. This is in response to his latest garbage.

From CNN/Money

Employers are adding jobs at the fastest pace in four years, a government report showed Friday, which is great for workers but could worry investors if it slows recent white-hot gains in corporate earnings.

Friday's Labor Department report showed an increase of 248,000 jobs outside the farm sector in May, compared with a revised gain of 346,000 for April. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com forecast the May report would show a 225,000-job gain.
    And the strength in the job market is starting to be seen in workers' paychecks.

For the second straight month average hourly wages rose 0.3 percent, last month to $15.64.
    Oil extends slide under $40

Oil prices eased further below $40 a barrel on Friday as an OPEC deal to pump more crude outweighed underlying fears of political instability in top producer Saudi Arabia.

Light crude for July contract fell 57 cents to $38.71 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, following an 80-cent drop on Thursday when OPEC agreed a two-stage output increase of 2.5 million barrels a day in July and August.
    Must be another secret deal between the Saudis and Bush, huh? j/k

Survey: executives see strong growth

The latest reading on executives' business outlook finds many expecting to add staff and increase capital spending in the next year.

A survey of 101 Chicago-area senior executives by accounting firm KPMG found nearly three-quarters said their companies were performing better than 12 months ago, and about the same percentage predicted their companies would be performing better a year from now.

The survey said 40 percent expected to increase hiring, with only 7 percent expecting to cut staff. In addition, 48 percent said they expected to increase spending on capital improvements and technology, and 39 percent expected to increase the number of markets their companies serve.
    Hmmm...must be Bush's fault. again, j/k

Of course, there is other good news but I suppose we could harp on the bad...as I'm sure somebody will.

TGIF
    "YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAGH!!!" --Howard Dean, Chief of the Democratic Party

Oh
    Hello World

Here we go again......./me shakes head
    Follow this link to chat for a quicker answer!

NooNoo, grover, Matridom, cc_penguin, Octavian, crazyman, Major Kong, and Mayet onboard.....And now starring Ya_know!

Quote Originally Posted by DocPC
    Here we go again......./me shakes head

Oh, I don't know. I think it's good just to sit back and watch the poo fling. Sometimes it's fun to through the poo and try to duck it as it's coming at you.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    There you go again.
    Line by line:
    Employers are adding jobs at the fastest pace in four years
    Of course 3.5 of those years were BUSHES. So basically your telling us that Bush finally had three months that WERE NOT AS BAD AS THE GREAT DEPRESSION?
    Read my sig for the truth.

Friday's Labor Department report showed an increase of 248,000 jobs outside the farm sector in May, compared with a revised gain of 346,000 for April. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com forecast the May report would show a 225,000-job gain.
    Once again read my sig.

And the strength in the job market is starting to be seen in workers' paychecks.

For the second straight month average hourly wages rose 0.3 percent, last month to $15.64
    Now this is downright SHAMEFUL. Workers LOST disposable income for the second straight month due to Gas and Oil hikes, Health insurance increases,
    Drug price increases. Are you arguing that any month people have less disposable income is a GOOD month?

Oil prices eased further below $40 a barrel on Friday as an OPEC deal to pump more crude outweighed underlying fears of political instability in top producer Saudi Arabia.
    I knew it would happen. Someone would try to spin the huge oil price hike to their advantage the first day it went down.
    Well, it is still WAY TO HIGH. And isn't interesting that Bush who is the President most strongly supported by the energy companies is in office during these obscene price hikes.
    So now you are saying its a good thing that oil is almost 40 a barrel because it used to be 41 per barrel?

The latest reading on executives' business outlook finds many expecting to add staff and increase capital spending in the next year.

A survey of 101 Chicago-area senior executives by accounting firm KPMG found nearly three-quarters said their companies were performing better than 12 months ago, and about the same percentage predicted their companies would be performing better a year from now.
    The survey said 40 percent expected to increase hiring, with only 7 percent expecting to cut staff. In addition, 48 percent said they expected to increase spending on capital improvements and technology, and 39 percent expected to increase the number of markets their companies serve.
    Read the link. This is not a CNN survey. It is an accounting firms survey. So an accounting company who may stand to make money in good economic times funded a poll that showed, you guessed it, good economic times ahead.
    And all they are saying is that they expect things to be better than they were during the last year. The year we had the worst economy since the Depression.

It is sad that we have lowered our expectations so dramatically. We always held that our President shoud have created jobs while he was President. No way for Bush.
    We expected our disposable income to go up! Not down. And now we settle for a partial increase to offset increases in prices. In other words were happy we have only fallen behind by a certain amount?
    We are expected to be glad that oil is 40 per barrel instead of 41 per barrel.

So sad. There will never be the kind of employment we had during the Clinton years. Because the corporations want the high unemployment.
    Last edited by techs; June 4th, 2004 at 02:16 PM.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Funny how good news for America (economy going up, NOT DOWN), is STILL bad news according to techs. Can we at least credit Bush for this "small" upturn?
    I am Scuzzlebutt, Lord of the Mountains, behold my Patrick Duffy leg!

Quote Originally Posted by Zil
    Funny how good news for America (economy going up, NOT DOWN), is STILL bad news according to techs. Can we at least credit Bush for this "small" upturn?
    Absolutely Zil. Yes the Bush tax cuts have stimulated the economy.
    But will you at least admit that what is being touted as great economic news is only because its being compared to how truly awful things were for over 3 years?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Funny how bad news for American workers (their disposable income going DOWN, NOT up) is good news according to Zil. Can we at least credit Bush for this "small" downturn.

Quote Originally Posted by techs
    Absolutely Zil. Yes the Bush tax cuts have stimulated the economy.
    But will you at least admit that what is being touted as great economic news is only because its being compared to how truly awful things were for over 3 years?

And it looks like Bush did something about it, he fixed it! He deserves the credit for the tax cuts, the recovering economy, home ownership at record levels. He pulled us out of the mess, will you now admit that he has actually done something good?

Funny how bad news for American workers (their disposable income going DOWN, NOT up) is good news according to Zil. Can we at least credit Bush for this "small" downturn.

Now this is downright SHAMEFUL. Workers LOST disposable income for the second straight month due to Gas and Oil hikes, Health insurance increases,
    Drug price increases. Are you arguing that any month people have less disposable income is a GOOD month?
    Where in any article posted by Jaxson does it say their disposable income is going down? Yet again, please provide proof of your claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Zil
    And it looks like Bush did something about it, he fixed it! He deserves the credit for the tax cuts, the recovering economy, home ownership at record levels. He pulled us out of the mess, will you now admit that he has actually done something good?
    Never !

WOTPPP !
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers
    Oh, I don't know. I think it's good just to sit back and watch the poo fling. Sometimes it's fun to through the poo and try to duck it as it's coming at you.
    If you set things up right, it isn't so bad when the chimps go at it again.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    My loss of income stems from my wife wanting to put Pergo flooring down in 4 rooms of the house.

Me waves goodbye to a goodly amount of dead presidents!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    If you set things up right, it isn't so bad when the chimps go at it again.

ROFLMAO !!

WOTPPP !!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    My loss of income stems from my wife wanting to put Pergo flooring down in 4 rooms of the house.

Me waves goodbye to a goodly amount of dead presidents!
    Your supposed to distract them from those ideas.