[RESOLVED] Unable to install my cirrus logic modem on Windows NT.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Unable to install my cirrus logic modem on Windows NT.

gojinjedi

Red face Unable to install my cirrus logic modem on Windows NT.

I just bought a new computer running on windows NT 4.0 (SP4). I took my Cirrus logic 56K v90 modem from my old computer and put it on my new computer (a dell computer) on the PCI2 port. I tried also to put it on PCI port 1. The problem is, when I go to the control panel and try to install the modem first it doesn't recognize that there's a modem on my port (anyone I used). Then, I tried to install it manually with the drivers and when I try to connect NT gives me a 692 error (failed to open port or wire connection isn't plugged, something like that). I've checked everything again and nothing seems to work. What's the problem? There's no support from cirrus, no support from dell for the modem, I don't know what to do anymore.

Gojin

Hi.

Is the modem switchable between PnP and non-PnP configurations? Some Cirrus-based modems, such as the ActionTec DT5600 series, could be jumpered for either. They did not always work as a PnP card under NT, and in fact the manufacturer recommended setting them up as a non-PnP modem for NT.

Have you tried physically removing the card, uninstalling all the drivers, and then starting from scratch again in a different slot on the motherboard?

Does the modem still work in the old system?

I have had my Cirrus-based modem die on me because of a RAS exercise gone horribly wrong due to some misconfiguration of the system - my fault. It would not initialize as a PnP card. It could not be found by any OS, either as a PnP or non-PnP card. I had to revive it by reflashing it.

If there was static damage during the removal and reinstallation (rare, but not unheard of), reflashing might also revive the card.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by houseisland (edited November 03, 1999).]