Where to start?

Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Hello,

I could really use some advise on which certifications I should obtain and maybe get some suggestions about in what order I should obtain them.

I have my AAS in Networking Technology and 4-5 years experience in pc (all versions of Windows OS), technical and Novell network support. I have my CNA but I have limited practical experience with actual work on servers - Novell or otherwise. I have "some" experience with IIS but I have no experience in Exchange, Enterprise - no hands on experience with NT or Windows 2000 server. We are primarily a Novell shop. I feel sadly under qualified to move on from where I am. It is not an option at this time to complete my bachelors.

I would like to make myself more marketable to employers in this tough job market but I am trying to avoid being just a lousy piece of paper.

What direction can I go in to gain some marketability? I assume A+ and Network+ are a given? Maybe MCSA? I have to admit that the MCSE seems pretty intimidating to me since I do not have the hands on experience.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I have my A+ and Network+ and I have to say that they were retarded easy. For there, I would maybe go CIW or CCNA depends on what you want to or like to do
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Have you considered going for some higher level Novell certs?

A+, Network+, and Server+ are all good choices from CompTIA. The MCSA would be a good choice also. Since you have so little experience with Windows, the MCSA would probably be the first thing you should go for. I would not bother getting more Novell certs since so few places have need for it. As always when somebody asks this question, I suggest you buy some good used equipment on Ebay and make a lab at home so that you can actually do the excercises in your books when you study for additional certs.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones