Security+

Thread: Security+

Security+

I have been pondering this certification as an attempt to bring my certifications more up to date.

I'd be interested to know if anyone reading this has it. If so, how was the test, has it been worth it to you to have? Or is it like most of the CompTIA certs - overpriced and under-recognized?

Also, how does this look as a stepping stone towards CISSP?

*lin*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

Cissp home (certified information systems security professionals for anyone wondering )

So as far as security+ goes I've never seen it asked for as an 'only' pc cert & I'm wondering what other 'advanced' one you can have that won't cover much of this anyway, so it'd depend what else you have as complimentary to it, if anything ?..

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Cissp home (certified information systems security professionals for anyone wondering )

So as far as security+ goes I've never seen it asked for as an 'only' pc cert & I'm wondering what other 'advanced' one you can have that won't cover much of this anyway, so it'd depend what else you have as complimentary to it, if anything ?..
    I have A+, Net+, and several Microsoft exams, but never finished the MCSE. I was actually teaching A+ for awhile for a local state university. I was pondering the Security+ for two reasons really. 1) I was hoping there might be a market to get into training people on it after I pass it and 2) if it gave a good foundation for the CISSP topics.

Just in a brief search of Monster I found significant demand for the CISSP cert, and it was payin pretty good wages.

*lin*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Linthade
    Just in a brief search of Monster I found significant demand for the CISSP cert, and it was payin pretty good wages.
    So I know that bit, but usually assuming mcse too or lots of provable network experience or 'more' anyway than just CISSP 'mostly' I'd guess though, experience counts extra in security (for once, certs counting far too much if you ask me in IT generally).

CISPP says you are up to date with indepth knowledge of what security is specifically about & have a very good chance of stopping 'whatever', for most roles you want/need lots of networking exposure too, security+ says you get the idea & know what you need to start stopping it, so yeah its a start ..

To get paid as a trainer you don't necessarily need the qualification, but it does help , I'd have said just training one topic is too narrow to get any trade, you'd have to do many things if you wanted to set up your own firm .

Ot: Cissp

I've been cramming for this CISSP and it gets pretty detailed within the different areas of expertise ( the CBK is what they call it, common body of knowledge).

I haven't looked at the security+ cert but passing the CISSP will mean you know a good deal about traditional security and also more "management" type issues such as applicable legislation, government standards and classifications (EU and US), and good stuff like physical security and Disaster recovery. IOW it seems geared to make you more knowledgable as a manager or IS auditor
    rather than a "technical security guy".

I've used the study guide avail from their site and it seems to be the best resource so far, but I guess the real test will come when I get time to take the test. : (
    ***I Like Pie***