Access disk or network error

Thread: Access disk or network error

Access disk or network error

I have a client who has 2 computers on a network. They are connected by a cross-over cable and they have no internet access. First computer has Windows XP and shares an Access database with the second PC which is running Windows 98. Both machines used to be able to access the database at the same time with no problems. However they have recently recieved several "Disk or Network error[s]" on the Windows 98 PC. These errors seem to appear at random and they usually cause Access to crash. I have tried mapping the shared folder as a network drive and giving the PCs static IPs instead of using APIPA. This error occurs at random it seems and of course it never happens while I am there and so far it only happens on the Windows 98 PC.
    I'm a rage-aholic! I just can't live without rage-ahol! -Homer Simpson

Talking ..and of course it never happens while I am there ..

Well obviously check the cable & deduce they aren't brain dead & knocking it or turning the microwave on next to it etc

& you are well advised to get them to write down the exact errors.

How up to date patch wise are both machines ? Any changes lately? Maybe check master browser on the 98 box , if it repeats periodically.

I took a trip out there today and checked everything and I could not get the system to make the error occur again. The user was not there so I could not watch her to see what she does to make it happen. I do know for a fact that the windows XP machine that hosts and accesses the Access database is using Office XP and the Windows 98 machine is using Office 2000. Also I noticed that the Windows 98 machine had the Netsky virus at some point in time because it was listed in the NAV quarantine. I think these two people are a disaster waiting to happen. I am surprised they haven't corrupted their database already. Anyway, i was hoping that this was a common issue or something that was easy to fix. Oh well. I have tried everything I know to do that does not involve an old priest, a young priest and a lot of holy water.

Talking So still on the theme of - it never happens when you are there..

The words accident & happen & wait keep swiming in my mind too

You want to be sure about any virus remnants though, they are doing something 'not right' if they don't have internet access & are getting stuff despite having NAV present (Hijacthis logs are worth a run to see as you don't need to check BHO's etc as there shouldn't be any) & excuse yourself in the meantime by wanting exact errors before you visit again maybe ? Otherwise I just think you ain't got enough to go on or attempt fixes with & can spend a lot of time looking ..

Just as a note, I had Access errors like that once - It was random and I couldn't pin it down. Then I came across a post on computing.net that discussed problems with Access and Realtek network cards. I was skeptical, but switched out 6 realtek nics with 3Coms
    No more errors
    All who wander are not lost

What were we talkin bout ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grateful_Dad
    Just as a note, I had Access errors like that once - It was random and I couldn't pin it down. Then I came across a post on computing.net that discussed problems with Access and Realtek network cards. I was skeptical, but switched out 6 realtek nics with 3Coms
    No more errors

They are both Dell machines. I don't think Dell uses anything but Intel or 3Com NICs anyway but I will check and make sure the next time I go out. Maybe I will try uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC driver anyway. I think I will try reinstalling Office 2000 too. Thanks.

Access problem.

Hello all! I had this issue with a database I designed. This Link might help..

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=acc2000

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 304548

Hope this helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by timothyj98
    Hello all! I had this issue with a database I designed. This Link might help..

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=acc2000

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 304548

Hope this helps!!
    It might do - but I'd say 'better' advice is to patch all your office applications 'always' (whatever version it & this might be{its not stated}) -as that's what that KB effectively boils down to ..
    ..To prevent this problem from happening again, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Office 2000. You must install this service pack on all computers that run Office 2000..
    I kind of assume folks will have thought of that, but I guess not !

I went out there yesterday and tried reinstalling Office 2000 and that did not work. I also tried disabling the Norton AV Office Plug-in. Keep in mind that the system worked fine until a few weeks ago. I am taking it home with me today so I can back it up and try formatting the drive and reinstalling everything. I have looked at several MS knowlege base articles and none of them have given me any clue how to fix this problem The database they use is only 9 meg so it is not like the system is running out of memory, although it does give that error message from time to time. I will diag the hardware while I backupp the hard drive to make sure this is entirely a software problem. I will post an update later today or tomorow. Thanks to all for the advise!