wireless installation problem with Win98
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wireless installation problem with Win98

wireless installation problem with Win98

I have a Netgear MA401 wireless pc card. Windows 98's knows it's there and starts installing. The problem arose when asked for the Win98 CD. Couldn't find the file needed so the machine locked up and had to reboot. On reboot, blue screen city. I then tried to remove netgear via devices. Machine hung. Had to reboot and go into safe mode to remove. I thought maybe it was the other network card that was causing an IRQ conflict, so I removed it physically from the machine. Rebooted. Installation then was going effortlessly, when again had to put in the Win98 CD. Two files were older than what was on the machine (I'm not at home, so don't have all my notes), so of course I selected keep new file. Blue screen city then back to desktop where it just hanged.
    Argh. Rebooted and there is a yellow exclamation mark beside the wireless card. It was getting late, so I had to close it down. There are no IRQ conflicts. What is going on?
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

1> Go to system properties. Remove the

2> Reboot

3> When it asks for the windows CD, be sure to type "D:\Win98" without quotes and replace D with your cd drive letter. Or you can point it to "C:\windows" or "C:\windows\system" When it asks if you want to keep the old files, yes. In other words think "Yes I do want to keep the OLD files"

* Also, before doing any of that, do this...

1> Go to netgear.com and get latest driver

2> Unpack or execute that driver.

3> Update the driver and point it to the new one you just downloaded.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    1> Go to system properties. Remove the

2> Reboot

3> When it asks for the windows CD, be sure to type "D:\Win98" without quotes and replace D with your cd drive letter. Or you can point it to "C:\windows" or "C:\windows\system" When it asks if you want to keep the old files, yes. In other words think "Yes I do want to keep the OLD files"

* Also, before doing any of that, do this...

1> Go to netgear.com and get latest driver

2> Unpack or execute that driver.

3> Update the driver and point it to the new one you just downloaded.
    I do type D:\win98. I did select "Yes" and that where it gets hung up. I have to reboot and start the whole process all over again.
    That machine is not "online" for such downloads, so would have to do it here at work or from my other machine.

Hello World

Thanks, I've been there(just downloaded updated files). I always like to seek as much information as I can.

Cool cool. I guess if this were experts-exchange then I'd be rackin up about zero tech points right about now.

Sorry i couldn't help. If I had the whole thing in front of me I guarantee I could make it work with my Wrbby magic, but I don't sooooo...
    Hello World

Wait until you get home Amy, then we can be there with you and will sort it out.
    Wrrby: 2 points for effort.;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    Cool cool. I guess if this were experts-exchange then I'd be rackin up about zero tech points right about now.

Sorry i couldn't help. If I had the whole thing in front of me I guarantee I could make it work with my Wrbby magic, but I don't sooooo...
    No need to be sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Wait until you get home Amy, then we can be there with you and will sort it out.
    Wrrby: 2 points for effort.;-)
    I hope to get around to it around 7pm. With the new downloaded files and the pdf I downloaded from Netgear, I hope to be good to go..If not I will send an SOS.

update

I copied what I downloaded from Netgear (the latest drivers). I then went to "Devices" and selected the netgear wireless card ("!"). I selected "update driver". That installation went so much better than yesterday, however, when it was at 98% installation (this is from the Win98 cd), I was prompted that the LOCproxy.exe was not found, skip or cancel. I selected "skip", then I was prompted about certain files were older than the ones installed and I had to pick "keep". This time there was no hanging up and after reboot I still have the yellow exclamation mark. I see this error message when I click on the yellow exclamation mark: Windows stopped responding while attempting to start this device again (Code 11). Please advise! I will also look on the Windows site for more info. Thanks..this is the explanation from the Microsoft site about code 11..Code 11

Windows stopped responding while attempting to start this device, and therefore will never attempt to start this device again. (Code 11)

For more information, look up ASD in Windows Help.

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver
    I've already updated the driver!!
    Last edited by amyb; June 9th, 2004 at 07:01 PM.

Well, that's a fine mess Netgear made, huh?
    There is no choice but to do this: start all over again. Shut down pc. Remove the wireless card. Boot into safe mode and remove all instances of the driver in device manager, and any other network devices as well just to be sure. Also check Add/Remove programs just in case it's there. Reboot the pc and let windows detect again, having ready the updated drivers, expanded and in a folder on the drive. Give it a whirl.
    The files you are being asked about are Windows drivers drivers having to do with Winsock and TCP/IP which have been updated over the years. When it installs the new wireless lan card, it reloads these drivers and uses the originals, which normally you don't want. so most times you should agree to keep them.
    Let us know if this works. You may want to disable AV protection and firewall temporarily while you are in safe mode just so nothing interferes with the install.
    Also, are the latest chipset drivers installed as well as bios updated? Yeah that's alot, but take it from the first step: the Triple R's: remove/reboot/reinstall, only this time you need to have it all clean prior to reinstalling.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Well, that's a fine mess Netgear made, huh?
    There is no choice but to do this: start all over again. Shut down pc. Remove the wireless card. Boot into safe mode and remove all instances of the driver in device manager, and any other network devices as well just to be sure. Also check Add/Remove programs just in case it's there. Reboot the pc and let windows detect again, having ready the updated drivers, expanded and in a folder on the drive. Give it a whirl.
    The files you are being asked about are Windows drivers drivers having to do with Winsock and TCP/IP which have been updated over the years. When it installs the new wireless lan card, it reloads these drivers and uses the originals, which normally you don't want. so most times you should agree to keep them.
    Let us know if this works. You may want to disable AV protection and firewall temporarily while you are in safe mode just so nothing interferes with the install.
    Also, are the latest chipset drivers installed as well as bios updated? Yeah that's alot, but take it from the first step: the Triple R's: remove/reboot/reinstall, only this time you need to have it all clean prior to reinstalling.
    Hopefully I will have more time tonight to devote to this grand adventure. No, I don't recall having the latest chipset drivers installed as well as the bios updated. I will have to do a Gateway update for this (we got this machine before we felt that Gateway was getting worse with their computers etc).. Anyway, thanks. I knew that this was going to be an adventure, but not this much!!

argh

Well, I'll just look at this new development as "at least I'm getting somewhere", went into safe mode, removed driver, also went into regedit and got rid of anything netgear. Put the card back in. Went through the sequence without any headaches. I rebooted..BLUE SCREEN An exception OE has occurred at 0028.00000009 in VxD-this may be called from 0028:C001A2C0 in Vxd NDIS (011) + 0000274C
    I'm able to continue, but get this message invakid Vxd from VDHCP + 0000278 to device VP. service 12 VNBT (01)+ 0000F99C..
    Then my windows configuration is invalid (you think?).

Able to get to desktop where I am greeted with your network adapter Netgear MA301 (0000) is not working properly.

However, I no longer have that ugly yellow explanation mark. whee.
    Will look into it more.
    update 2This error occurred when I again went into safe mode, removed all then rebooted, reinstalling everything..blue screen then Attention signal frequency is out of range please change signal timing I would do this in the configuration utility correct?
    Last edited by amyb; June 10th, 2004 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    I rebooted..BLUE SCREEN An exception OE has occurred at 0028.00000009 in VxD-this may be called from 0028:C001A2C0 in Vxd NDIS (011) + 0000274C
    I just booted into Safe mode and then went into the add/remove program files then went to the windows components part (the middle tab) then unchecked the communications box and apllied the changes... so basically uninstalled all communications components and everything was able to reboot without error took a while to do though but never the less it loaded