Windows 98 error message

Thread: Windows 98 error message

Windows 98 error message

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]

I have just installed a BenQ 5232 CD-RW with it's associated Nero express software.
    My Windows opens up to a point, (nearly all the way), and then displays the following message: "An exception OE has occurred at 0028:0000006EB in VxD ---
    This was called from 0028:C182F4C0 in VxD voltrack 04+00000430. It may be possible to continue. *Press any key to continue
    *Pres Cont+Alt+Del to attemt to restart
    etc.

There is no way in which I can now open Windows, even after removing the new hardware.

Any help here. please???

reboot the machine and begin pressing F8 until you get a dos screen with startup options...choose to boot to a command prompt.
    at c:/, type scanreg /restore
    you will get a list of previously backed up registry entries; choose the one with the date nearest todays date and choose restore. Windows will restore an earlier backup of the registry and will then reboot... hopefully all the way into Windows
    "If life is a journey....Who's got the map?"

Welcome to Windrivers swernoot

It sounds like the ide drivers got mighty upset!

Try getting into windows with safe mode with F8 - you can also try the command prompt suggestion that tobevers made.

If tobevers suggestion doesn't work, and you can get into windows safe mode (standard safe mode - not command prompt) have a look in device manager and if any items have ! next to them, remove them all and reboot. Windows should reinstall them.

If that doesn't work, then go back into safe mode and edit the registry - start, run, type in regedit and click ok
    You will get a window that looks a bit like explorer. Double click on Hkey_local_machine
    On the enum folder, right click and delete.
    This will remove all references to drivers and force windows to reinstall them ALL. This means you will need your driver disks or files for everything that windows does not have "natively" - eg, video, sound, modem, etc.

If you don't feel up to doing that, then get your windows cd out, set the bios to boot from cd and setup windows again. This is called an inplace install, you can tell windows to reinstall itself and it should not affect the installed programs or data (unless they are screwed up). You will have to do your windows updates again afterwards.

It would be useful to know what computer you have make and model please.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the help, both of you!
    I managed to solve the problem by starting in Safe Mode, and from there, with the Add/Delete Files facility, removing all software related to the newly installed hardware.
    I use a very old (but reliable) IBM Aptiva.

Glad it's sorted.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."