GUI wont load. PC crashed hardcore

Thread: GUI wont load. PC crashed hardcore

Exclamation GUI wont load. PC crashed hardcore

OK So the last thing I saw on my computer was a blue screen, I cant remember but I think it was a VCD error and now my GUI(graphic user face) will not load at all. I might have overloaded the operative memory, I think. It just crashed so so hard and now it wont run in normal load. I can run in safe mode but I can not open my files because the main drivers are not being used. Is there anyway I can get my MP3 MPEG and picture files off this computer so I can just throw the start up disc in and reboot the whole thing. I might just say "oh well" and reboot it soon, but I do not want to lose all of my files, it took me a long time to get them all. Including school work
    so if anyone can help me figure out how to get the files off the computer.
    OR
    Just get the gui and main drivers to load so i dont have to do that
    please email me
    [email protected]

many thanks to those who have read this and those who help,
    Jessy

ps. I ran SCANREG/FIX and SCANREG/RESTORE and tried booting up a backup I did a few days before the crash but they didnt work.
    another thing
    Im using plain old winows 98.
    Im seriously going to invest in a mac lol its come to it

Hi Jessy and welcome to Windrivers,

Don't panic just yet, if you can get into Windows 98 in safe mode then it should be fixable. One question I have is what happened before the crash? Did you install new software or hardware in the last few days? Just looking to find out any clues as to what could have caused the problem so as to help fix it.

Also what happens when you try to start it in "normal" mode?

Do you have a CD writer installed on your PC, that would help get the files off without pain.

Keep the info coming and someone here will quickly come up with a way of fixing it.

ps. don't go with a Mac just yet, they can be just as unreliable if not more so
    Last edited by gazzak; June 21st, 2004 at 05:31 AM.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Banned
    if he can get in in safe mode , then moving the inportant docs out of "my docuaments" into another folder (by typing "explorer" on the run line), also the mp3s ,,,and then reload over the top ,,loading windows into windows000 , finally removing the windows dir ,,,and reloading all the proggys he needs,

ALLWAYS save docs to a nice singular worded dir ,,,,makes life easier,

freddy

Talking

wow thank you so much for responding.
    well I actually had installed kazaa a week before, i know it was a stupid move. i just really wanted a certain song. Ive deleted it since the crash. Before the thing crashed I would get a lot of pop ups saying. "Not enough memory to run program close one or more to operate." everytime i tried to open anything on my PC, explorer or My Documents etc. or something like that. when i do try and run it in normal mode it just restarts again and again. i press control so i can run it in safe mode and ive tried using my cd burner to get the files, but it will not work in safe mode. I dont know why. Today I ran scan disk and Im running defrag right now. I dont know if that will help, but maybe it will.
    thank you again for responding so quickly
    :-)

Jessy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    Hi Jessy and welcome to Windrivers,

Don't panic just yet, if you can get into Windows 98 in safe mode then it should be fixable. One question I have is what happened before the crash? Did you install new software or hardware in the last few days? Just looking to find out any clues as to what could have caused the problem so as to help fix it.

Also what happens when you try to start it in "normal" mode?

Do you have a CD writer installed on your PC, that would help get the files off without pain.

Keep the info coming and someone here will quickly come up with a way of fixing it.

ps. don't go with a Mac just yet, they can be just as unreliable if not more so

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo158
    wow thank you so much for responding.
    well I actually had installed kazaa a week before, i know it was a stupid move. i just really wanted a certain song. Ive deleted it since the crash. Before the thing crashed I would get a lot of pop ups saying. "Not enough memory to run program close one or more to operate." everytime i tried to open anything on my PC, explorer or My Documents etc. or something like that. when i do try and run it in normal mode it just restarts again and again. i press control so i can run it in safe mode and ive tried using my cd burner to get the files, but it will not work in safe mode. I dont know why. Today I ran scan disk and Im running defrag right now. I dont know if that will help, but maybe it will.
    thank you again for responding so quickly
    :-)

Jessy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok , copy all your needed files into a personal folder ie:c:fred ,,,then reload win 98 , in a new folder ,,,windows000 ,,,load your cd-r software ,,,burn it ,,,then fdisk format ,,,,clean.

when u reload (windows000) , u don,t need sound / vid / modem ,,,to burn your files ,,,

have u got a spare machine , u can put this drive into secondry (master) ,,,then copy your data ,,,if it has a burner?

good luck

freddy