I want to install windows 98 upgrade.

Thread: I want to install windows 98 upgrade.

Exclamation I want to install windows 98 upgrade.

I want to install windows 98 upgrade, but a message pops up that says "This CD-ROM is from an older version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Setup functionality from this disk will be disabled.

I really want to install my windows upgrade because the add/remove functions can only be accessed with a disk and anytime I want to install hardware it says to insert the windows 98 CD, but when I do it says that its the wron one. I currently have either windows 98 SE or ME and would like to get rid it and have my old windows 98 upgrade installed so I can access add/remove functions and install new hardware.

One thing said was that if the win ME or win 98 SE was not in the add/remove list that I can not remove it. would I have to download a win 95 setup and install it in order to install my win 98 upgrade. If so where can I download it. I must install my win 98 upgrade and there must be a way to get around this problem some how. please help!!!! Worst case I would have to buy windows xp.

Just to start this , you want to go back to plain w98 right ?
    Windows won't go back if its not in the add-remove programs .
    The CD you have of 98 is just an ungrade right , then yes you would need 95 on thier to use it ,
    but why do you want to go back to plain 98 ? 98se is better .
    If you have a new enough PC then go ahead and get XP , works even better .

Ok sorry I see now why "and anytime I want to install hardware it says to insert the windows 98 CD,"
    Yeah thats a pain .
    Just get XP if can and you won't have to do that anymore .
    Last edited by GrandDad; June 12th, 2004 at 05:08 PM.
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Well, Porsche, you are another big fan of WinME I take it. As Pappy says you at least need to "show" the win95 disk during the install of your upgrade disk. First you need to format the drive (you don't have any important data anymore right?) with this command from a win98 boot disk (win98A):
    a:\format c: /s
    This will put the "system" files on the drive.
    Then proceed with the install of 98 and since it's an upgrade, it will at one point look for a copy of win95, and if it can't find it, it will ask you to provide one. In other words , if you can find a 95 cd you'll be good to go, as you don't have to install it completely.
    Good luck.
    (NO you can't download it by legitimate means anyway)

EDIT,
    XP might seem to be the easy choice here, but if this pc originally came with 95/98, it may have a tough time, hardware wise with XP.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Well, Porsche, you are another big fan of WinME I take it. As Pappy says you at least need to "show" the win95 disk during the install of your upgrade disk. First you need to format the drive (you don't have any important data anymore right?) with this command from a win98 boot disk (win98A):
    a:\format c: /s
    This will put the "system" files on the drive.
    Then proceed with the install of 98 and since it's an upgrade, it will at one point look for a copy of win95, and if it can't find it, it will ask you to provide one. In other words , if you can find a 95 cd you'll be good to go, as you don't have to install it completely.
    Good luck.
    (NO you can't download it by legitimate means anyway)

EDIT,
    XP might seem to be the easy choice here, but if this pc originally came with 95/98, it may have a tough time, hardware wise with XP.
    Actually, if you just copy the .cab files to the drive, and point the dialog box to that folder when Windows asks for the CD upon Hardware installation, you do not need to format a thing! It is quite unlikely that you will get any version conflicts if that is all you need the files for.
    Last edited by Tekboy; June 12th, 2004 at 06:18 PM.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy
    Actually, if you just copy the .cab files to the drive, and point the dialog box to that folder when Windows asks for the CD upon Hardware installation, you do not need to format a thing! It is quite unlikely that you will get any version conflicts if that is all you need the files for.
    good call !

borrrow beg or steal a copy of the cd and copy the *.cab files over ,

the previous owner/user might have done this , and hidden the folder ,,,,,do a search for *.cab/cabs ,,,,,they might even be on your drive.

I always just copy the win98 folder from the CD to the root of the C:\ drive and any time Windows asks for the CD I just point it there.

If I'm doing a new install, I run the setup from that folder on the harddrive, rather than monkey with the CD.

Same thing as the .cab files, but for those who might not understand .cab files, it's a simpler approach.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Yes, indeed, all good ways to do this, and yes I always put the cabs on the local drive, too. But from this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Porche
    I really want to install my windows upgrade because the add/remove functions can only be accessed with a disk and anytime I want to install hardware it says to insert the windows 98 CD, but when I do it says that its the wron one.
    I get the impression that the OS might be a mess, especially if he just installs on top of the OS already there. Are you saying Tekboy, that the job he wants to do would be better without a format and complete install of 98?

"I really want to install my windows upgrade because the add/remove functions can only be accessed with a disk and anytime I want to install hardware it says to insert the windows 98 CD, but when I do it says that its the wron one. I currently have either windows 98 SE or ME and would like to get rid it and have my old windows 98 upgrade installed so I can access add/remove functions and install new hardware. "

Actually, after re-reading the above paragraph, with particular emphasis on

"I currently have either windows 98 SE or ME "

I believe he should take it to a competent technician, for a "cyber enema" as it were.

Hope this helps,

http://www.thecomputermechanic.com
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Windows 98 Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by porsche
    I want to install windows 98 upgrade, but a message pops up that says "This CD-ROM is from an older version of Windows than the one you are presently using. Setup functionality from this disk will be disabled.

I really want to install my windows upgrade because the add/remove functions can only be accessed with a disk and anytime I want to install hardware it says to insert the windows 98 CD, but when I do it says that its the wron one. I currently have either windows 98 SE or ME and would like to get rid it and have my old windows 98 upgrade installed so I can access add/remove functions and install new hardware.

One thing said was that if the win ME or win 98 SE was not in the add/remove list that I can not remove it. would I have to download a win 95 setup and install it in order to install my win 98 upgrade. If so where can I download it. I must install my win 98 upgrade and there must be a way to get around this problem some how. please help!!!! Worst case I would have to buy windows xp.

A "Windows 98 Upgrade" is used to upgrade a Win95 (or even 3.1) PC up to Windows 98, it does not upgrade Windows 98 or Windows 98SE - It looks like you know this--another option for you is to do a "clean install" of Win98 (from the upgrsde CD or the preferred "flat" =copy of .cabs on the HDD) use:

"Clean Folder" (Win98) #287945 @ support.microsoft.com

from C:\>md Win98
    ren autoexec.bat *.tab
    ren config.sys *.ysy
    ren winstart.bat *.tab(*)
    attrib system.1st -r -s -h
    ren Progra~1 - ProgOld(**)
    cd windows
    ren system.ini *.nin
    ren win.ini *.nin (***)
    ren win.com *.moc
    attrib system.dat -r -s -h
    ren system.dat *.tad
    attrib user.dat -r -s -h
    ren user.dat *.tad
    cd..
    ren windows WinOld
    cd Win98
    setup (to "other folder": C:\Windows)

* some of these files may not exist - that's ok
    after its up and running, and you have backed up anything important, you can delete WinOld and ProgOld to free up the space if needed.