CD burner

Thread: CD burner

CD burner

hi
    i'm a win ME user. i'd like to get a new version of win, xp preferably. but first i need to back up, right? i'm planning to buy a CD_Burner and save my files on CDs. then buy win-xp CD and install it.
    but i don't know how to install a CD-burner. do i need to take the hard to a tech-shop and let them do the job or can i do that at home? someone told me that installing a CD-burner is a little harder than installing a scanner or a printer. i installed my scanner and printer successfully but i have no idea how to install a CD-burner. any instruction/help/advice will be appreciated.
    thanx

Okay so this procedure means taking your pc to bits, so think about any warranty issues etc first, you might also like to google yourself some info on ESD precautions (electro static discharge - static ! which might damage your motherboard or other components).

Its not very hard really, sort of electronic lego with wires .. Have a look at this (wherever it says hard drive - generally substitute CD burner - very much the same procedure)..

Any questions arising feel free to re-post of course, but I hope that'll give you a decent start on whats involved

As a btw - considering the prices of units now, you might like to think about a DVD burner instead of a CDR (media is still dearer) but it gives you much greater capacity as 1 DVD = 6 CDs or thereabouts & is therefore more practical & future proof for a little more money ..

So he says, immediately bethinking himself .. I didn't really answer what you asked, I just gave you instruction on how to fit a cdr/dvd/hard drive ..

Your machine may not 'really like' xp - despite what M$ would have you believe (about it being all singing all dancing & the best thing since sliced bread!), on the xp disk itself there's a thing called the 'upgrade advisor' this will tell you whether your hardware is suitable (issues with certain hardware & lack of driver support, may be issues, as possibly can your motherboards bios) it can also tell you what installed s/w will be 'good' under xp as opposed to ME (some stuff won't work !) ..

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor online (50Mb d/l so broadband 'recommended').

& also backing up 'everything' may just be a waste of time ! - you can 'upgrade' your current install (so the setup routine takes your install & programs & makes it xp instead of ME) or most techies will say 'clean install' this is where you zap everything, install xp & re-install 'old' programs & then add back data from backups.

I think this is all 'easily' achieveable by most home users with a little guidance, but that'd depend on your 'ability to follow instruction & ask when you aren't sure' .. I hope I've given you enough info to decide on your own 'ability'

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    & also backing up 'everything' may just be a waste of time ! - you can 'upgrade' your current install (so the setup routine takes your install & programs & makes it xp instead of ME)

**Shudder** Upgrading XP overtop of ME? Might be the easiest way for an end-user to go, but I smell disaster.