Something different: Sci Fi topics
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Something different: Sci Fi topics

Something different: Sci Fi topics

Well, considering that Major Kong and I keep sidelining with discussions on Farscape and such, figgerd it would be a good idea to start a new thread.

If you have anything interesting, or just want to relay your scifi interests, den dis b de place to do it.

My contributions:

New B5 movie to be entitled "The Memory of Shadows"; Richard Biggs passed away on May 23rd, so don't expect to see any more of Dr. Stephen Franklin.

B5:Crusade to release on DVD soon.
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis

WOTPP Light Air Support Wing

Quote Originally Posted by paraflyer
    Well, considering that Major Kong and I keep sidelining with discussions on Farscape and such, figgerd it would be a good idea to start a new thread.

If you have anything interesting, or just want to relay your scifi interests, den dis b de place to do it.

My contributions:

New B5 movie to be entitled "The Memory of Shadows"; Richard Biggs passed away on May 23rd, so don't expect to see any more of Dr. Stephen Franklin.

B5:Crusade to release on DVD soon.
    I was really disappointed at what happened in Starship Troopers 2. The way they made it like Alien just irked me, and took away from what I thought Heinlein's point was in the book.

I liked the first movie much better.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

There was talk of a Farscape movie ?? Any word on this ??
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Haven't seen ST-2 yet, I was thinking of renting it this weekend; I may have to rethink that.

I'd still like to see Larry Niven's "Ringworld" made into a flick, but they'd better not cut up the story too much.
    Last edited by paraflyer; June 16th, 2004 at 12:48 PM.
    It is too late to fix America via the Republicans or Democrats, and too early to start shooting the bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_Driver
    There was talk of a Farscape movie ?? Any word on this ??
    I read in an interview that Ben Browder was approached to see if he was interested (this was before the announcement of the miniseries, and TV-movie).

His response was basically positive, and his opinion was that the idea was well-recieved by other cast members.

As far as I know, nothing's been done other than the "see if it's a viable idea" stage.

Haven't seen ST-2 yet, I was thinking of renting it this weekend; I may have to rethink that.

I'd still like to see Larry Niven's "Ringworld" amde into a flick, but they'd better not cut up the story too much.
    Excellent idea!

Not on the subject of Farscape but Sci-Fi yes.....

Is anyone here a fan of Firefly?

If you don't know, Firefly was on FOX for all of 11 episodes in 2002 and was (unfairly) cancelled because it didn't attract that much attention.
    The super simple description of the show would be to call it a 'Sci-Fi Western' but that really doesn't do it justice. It's closer to a Frontier Sci-Fi show.

I never even heard of it until after it was LONG GONE. And i had no interest in a show that was cancelled after a half of a season until some of my friends had me over to see the pilot on DVD. WOW was this a great show! After watching two more episodes i was hooked and bought the entire season on DVD at amazon.com. $35 for 14 hours of great TV + free shipping? Is there even a choice?

If you're not into Sci-Fi this show may still appeal to you, but i'd research it real fast first. On Amazon when i looked it up they had something like 600 reviews and every single one was 5 stars.... that kind of rating kind of makes you think 'This here's a spectacle that might warrant a moments consideration'.

Anyone here already a Browncoat?

Vergence

[edit: plus there have been over 250,000 copies sold..]
    [edit: The movie started shooting just a few days ago, set for April 22, 2005]
    Last edited by Vergence; June 16th, 2004 at 12:09 PM.

I'd still like to see Larry Niven's "Ringworld" amde into a flick, but they'd better not cut up the story too much.
    Ring world would be great if someone like Kubrik could make it. River World would be a lot of fun to see. (Philip Jose Farmer) The guy whose books I would really love to see someone try to make into a movie is Samuel R. Delany. Love those bizare alien worlds of his.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Ringworld is coming.

Staship Troopers 2 sucked.

The "propaganda" line only gets explored a bit at the end, almost like an afterthought.

It was just a slasher movie with SF elements, IMHO.

Anyone going to see I, Robot?

The way Asimov linked up the Foundation ar Robot series was nothing short of genius.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Ringworld is coming.

Staship Troopers 2 sucked.

The "propaganda" line only gets explored a bit at the end, almost like an afterthought.

It was just a slasher movie with SF elements, IMHO.

Anyone going to see I, Robot?

The way Asimov linked up the Foundation ar Robot series was nothing short of genius.
    For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    Ring world would be great if someone like Kubrik could make it. River World would be a lot of fun to see. (Philip Jose Farmer) The guy whose books I would really love to see someone try to make into a movie is Samuel R. Delany. Love those bizare alien worlds of his.
    The SciFi channel did Riverworld last year.

Notice that they are not showing reruns of it.

I just hope that other sci fi movies come out OTHER than Startrek or Starwars. They do 100's of Romantic comidy crappers and only a few Sci Fi movies.
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy
    The SciFi channel did Riverworld last year.

Notice that they are not showing reruns of it.
    That movie frankly left me flat. They essentially crammed the first two books into a 2-hour film. Plus, the changes in main characters left me wondering.

I can understand replacing the character of Richard Francis Burton with a more-recent Shuttle pilot (maybe), but this only seemed to pander to the action-hero set.

Plus, the replacement of King Richard with Emperor Nero just didn't work as I would have thought.

Another candidate for novel-to-movie (IMHO): Piers Anthony's "On A Pale Horse"

Speaking of SF comedy, what is the consensus on Galaxy Quest from you fine folks?

Has anyone seen an episode of Tripping the Rift yet?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams