[RESOLVED] help !!

Thread: [RESOLVED] help !!

marko85

Post help !!

my fist topice
    ok i got a little problem
    i got a intel ham data fax voice modem it is a 56k modem.
    now i very offten look at the icon on the tool bar and it is always connected at 45.333kb/s
    now what i want to do is i want my connection to be 56kb/s

i tryed to update the driver but windows couldnt find anything and i looked on internet as well but i couldnt find a thing?
    is it possible that my telephone line cant get any faster than 45kb/s?
    help what else can i do?

[quote]Originally posted by marko85:
    [is it possible that my telephone line cant get any faster than 45kb/s?
    help what else can i do?[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

45kb/s is average for 56K, I consistantly connect at 45,333 with the occasional 46,666. Connection rate isn't everything, throughput is. As for what you can do to improve your connection, new drivers first and foremost, second check if your ISP has more than 1 number to dial and check each one at different times of day or night, third check the phone wiring and eliminate things like switchers or answering machines or other phones that might be on the same line before the modem. 1 trick I learned long ago is to run a new wire directly to the customer side of the phone box where all the other phone lines in the house meet. This pretty much guarantees your modem is first in line. look at <a href="http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/" target="_blank">http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/</a> for drivers.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

I usually get a 50,666 connection at home, but I hear it's an exception - not a rule.

I've also tweaked MTU settings and optimized the heck out of all the dialup networking options to make sure I squeeze all I can out of it.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

You can never get 56k because some of the bandwidth is for sending and some for receiving if you get 50 then you are on a winner, less than 40 something is ammiss.

So looks like you are fine.

but if i've got ISDN whit 56k modem will i get bandwidth 56k?

There is a legal maximum of 53kb/s over normal telephone lines that are not enhanced I.E. ISDN/ADSL
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:
    <strong>There is a legal maximum of 53kb/s over normal telephone lines that are not enhanced I.E. ISDN/ADSL</strong><hr></blockquote>

Specifically, this limit is mandated by the FCC and CRTC as any higher ANALOGUE speeds would exceed the power limits on the copper wires.

marko85

Talking

thanks for all advices and help guys and having time to explain all in details
    thanks a lot again
    so it is normall for modems to do that?
    it is ok then
    thans a lot again
    bye