hard drive vanished

Thread: hard drive vanished

hard drive vanished

I need some help with this one:

I was transferring some files on my network between 2 PC's running Windows XP. The PC that was receiving the files had locked up and I had to power cycle it. Once I restarted to XP, the drive that I was transferring the files wasnt showing up in My Computer. The physical disk is also not present under device manager. It is a FAT32 60GB disk. I checked the BIOS and it is there and readable. I booted with a Win 98 startup floppy and I was able to access the missing drive and its contents. I did a scandisk and it came out good with no errors at all. I restart to Windows XP and it still doesnt show.
    Is it possible that WinXP has become corrupted and I need to run Setup again? I have been in Computer Management and Logical disks and rescanned for volumes, but to no avail.

any ideas?? im stumped.

It looks like the drive / volume has somehow become "hidden".

Try Partitionmagic - it will tell you the status of the drive & let you "unhide" it.

Good Luck..

John

Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

strange

1. booted to win98 floppy
    2. changed to drive in question
    3. FDISK /MBR
    4. reboot
    5. WinXP dont see it
    6. Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager/RESCAN FOR DEVICES
    7. hard drive pops up and is ready for use

I would REALLY like to know just exactly what the hell just went on with this system. Does XP automatically disable and DELETE suspected 'faulty' hardware such as Hard Drives? I never saw this before!

"Mysteriously" vanishing hard drives seems to be an 'undocumented feature' of xp .... I see it quite often.

Usually a good 'dose' of updated chipset drivers & the appropriate IDE driver sorts it permanently.

This is just windoze being dumb ... When a machine starts it looks at all the connected drives & their IDE channels, its supposed to work out the maximum speed of each & fathom how fast DMA transfers can be made between them, if it finds errors in these transfers it automatically switches down the speed of the transfers between them, trouble is it can switch them off ! When it does that you end up with a missing drive, so even though BIOS sees it windoze is determined that since it got an error transfering files between them it shouldn't show, redetecting hardware as you did forces windoze to have a re-think...

ditto

I am have the same problem.. I reformated and then WindowsUpdated and now my other harddrive is missing... the steps above did not however work for me. Any ideas?

Welcome to Windrivers Neptin

We need a load more details to be able to help

Does bios detect the drive correctly?
    What windows version is this?
    Has anyone reconfigured or just "had a look" inside your pc?
    What motherboard is it (or if branded, what make and model)?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Neptin
    We need a load more details to be able to help
    The drive worked fine.. its my "storage" drive.. anyway.. i reformatted my main drive and then it was still listed in my computer once that was complete. then i preformed updates through WindowsUpdate.. and someweere in those updates it got "lost."

- Does bios detect the drive correctly?
    I'm not sure how to do this.

- What windows version is this?
    WindowsXP SP1

- Has anyone reconfigured or just "had a look" inside your pc?
    Do you mean with me knowing what they were doing? No. Nothign was done to the computer inbetween it being there and it not.

- What motherboard is it (or if branded, what make and model)?
    Not sure?

When the machine starts, you get a list of devices - is the hard drive among them? Use the pause/break key if the screen goes too fast.

Is it a brand like compaq, hp, emachine?
    if not go here to choose freedownload download it, run the report then paste the first half about your hardware in this thread. You do not need to paste the part about your software and licences.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation

Operating System System Model
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600) No details available
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    1.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. <> REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P4T ACPI BIOS Revision 1004 03/02/2001
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    133.13 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    24.45 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON LTR-52246S [CD-ROM drive]
    TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1202 [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6Y120L0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 1, s/n Y40PZH9E, rev YAR41VW0, SMART Status: Healthy
    Maxtor 91020D6 [Hard drive] (10.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n V60H1P7A, rev PAS34815, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'RIMM 1' has 256 MB
    Slot 'RIMM 2' is Empty
    Slot 'RIMM 3' has 256 MB
    Slot 'RIMM 4' is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 10.19 GB 5.29 GB free
    d: (on drive 1) 122.94 GB 19.16 GB free
    Last edited by Neptin; May 8th, 2004 at 04:02 PM.

So it recognizes it there.. is the larger of the hard drives.

OK, the drive reports as healthy. Have you used tweakui or other utilities to change what My computer shows you?

If you type the drive letter of the drive in an the address bar in my computer, does it show up then?

go here and download the Intel Chipset Software install it, reboot and see if the drive shows in my computer after that.

hey! it showed up after i used that belarc program. thanks!

return

the problem is back.. i installed a new video card and it is gone again. . i've messed with display settings in tweakui. i've downloaded the chipset. it doesnt show up when i type in the location in the address bar. i've ran belarc and it lists it in the report but doesnt show up anywhere else.