MCSE2000 or MCSE2003

Thread: MCSE2000 or MCSE2003

MCSE2000 or MCSE2003

I am A+, and just got Network+
    Is it too late to start studying for MCSE 2000?
    Will they retired that by the year end?
    I wish they would quit bring new stuff out every two years.
    Should I just go straight into MCSE 2003?
    Or something else?
    Thank
    Alvin

That depends...

do you have a good understanding of windows 2000/2003? (Active Directory/DNS)

If you don't, then take 2000 path and upgrade to 2003

If you do, then just dive into 2003

It only took me 5 months and I earned my MCSA / MSCE (2000), A+, and CCNA
    and now I am focusing on 2003...I decided I would get more experience working with and solving problems with 2003

It's your choice
    "GOOD 2 GO"

I understand AD alittle

I have install window2000 Server on two machine and win2000 pro on one machine and networking them and then install Active D.
    I have a Domain name and all that...But I just can't seem to wrap my brain arount the local polcily. and the domain polcily, and the user thing
    how in the world did you study 7 big...(and I mean Big) books and pass your MCSE?
    Alvin
    PS....What did you used to study with

Quote Originally Posted by ajm62
    I have install window2000 Server on two machine and win2000 pro on one machine and networking them and then install Active D.
    I have a Domain name and all that...But I just can't seem to wrap my brain arount the local polcily. and the domain polcily, and the user thing
    how in the world did you study 7 big...(and I mean Big) books and pass your MCSE?
    Alvin
    PS....What did you used to study with
    First of all put down the books...reading all that material will make your brain melt!

Go to braindumps.com or mcsebraindumps.com or even download testking pratice exams (I recommend buying them they are worth it)...use this for study guide only...use the books for references if you don't understand the question.

Practice makes perfect right!...so whatcha reading the books for...to become a perfect reader...do practice exam questions!!

I devoted 2 days before each exam to cram like crazy...I found that the questions that I studied from were close to if not identical to the real exam questions. I got an amazing memory so I found it quite easy. TestKing is worth it's weight in Gold.

Yes this will technically classify you as "PAPER MSCE" but for newbies it's the fastest way...and cheapest
    "GOOD 2 GO"

Go for 2003, good study

In the question of taking 2000 or 2003 exam, that doesn't exist: of course you should go straight to the 2003 exam, because the study materials cover exactely the same material, the only diference is that in MCSE 2003 you already take contact with the few but big diferences in 2003.

About the study, i would advise you to:
    During lessons or auto-study time

1 - read the books and experiment them in your home made domain.

During preparation to the exam

1 - read all the dumps you can get.
    2 - Estudy and practice the realy first dump: TestKing is the king! (you can get a hold on them with Kazaa or similar)
    3 - Go back to the best dumps and start to criticize them (there are a lot of wrong dumps)
    4 - a few hours before the exam, read all the testking (most recent version) and... GO FOR IT.

If you keep this method, believe me, at least 900 you will get!

Greetings from the country of Sun

Thank guys

Thank to all apply. I am studying Testking Network+ and will take that by july..I will start with 70-215 next and then 70-210
    Alvin

I disagree...If you don't have a strong background you will most likely struggle.
    It will take you even longer to complete. You'll get bored real fast and probably won't finish. (I hope this doesn't happen!!!...stay focused)

Are you getting assisted learning or are you doing it on your own?

If I were you take the XP exam (72-270 I think) first it applies to both 2000 or 2003 MSCE

If you pass then continue down the 2003 line...

If you fail take the 2000 path...

This way you will be able to get a look at the way the tests are written.

(I have found that 2000 exams were way easier then the 2003)

The choice is ultimately yours young jedi

I wish you all the best in your efforts
    "GOOD 2 GO"

I am A+, and just got Network+
    Is it too late to start studying for MCSE 2000?
    Will they retired that by the year end?
    I wish they would quit bring new stuff out every two years.
    Should I just go straight into MCSE 2003?
    Or something else?
    Thank
    Alvin
    I was at a Microsoft TS2 event yesterday and I asked the Microsoft rep when she thought the 2000 exams would be retired. She said she did not think it would be for several years. She said she did not think they would retire the 2000 exams until they brought out another server OS. Apparently Longhorn will only be a client because she said the next server OS would be after Longhorn. She said I could find a complete list of when exams are scheduled to be retired by following the links at www.microsoft.com/learning, but I have yet to find the list.

Also, I disagree with some of the advice you have received regarding preparing for the test by simply memorizing brain dumps. Your employer will expect you to be able to practice what you have learned. There are very skilled techs on WinDrivers that have lost their jobs over the years, what do you suppose would happen to you if you did not have the skills to backup the paper? I would suggest getting a set of books and then setting up a lab in your home with older equipment from Ebay. A PIII 500 MHz. era server and client will not set you back much money, and will be very good to practice on.
    Last edited by Pinnacle; June 23rd, 2004 at 10:03 PM.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    ..Also, I disagree with some of the advice you have received regarding preparing for the test by simply memorizing brain dumps. Your employer will expect you to be able to practice what you have learned. There are very skilled techs on WinDrivers that have lost their jobs over the years, what do you suppose would happen to you if you did not have the skills to backup the paper? ..
    Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with this bit - it just ain't so !

I know only too well that them 'worthless bits of paper' carry far too much weight with employers - 'anyway' you can pass the exams is a 'good' way to get you a job initially, of course after that if you did just have a photographic memory then you'll eventually get 'found out' but the only guy your employer is likely to take notice of sadly as far as this decision goes is another guy with even more worthless bits of paper !

All my M$ exams are now 'time expired' & honestly I just don't care when I see the numpties who can pass them now ! Any employer 'seduced' by such things isn't probably worth working for anyway, as we all know (or those that 'really know' do anyway) that 'qualifications can make a good man better, but qualifications don't make a good man !'

Thank Pinnacle

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle
    I was at a Microsoft TS2 event yesterday and I asked the Microsoft rep when she thought the 2000 exams would be retired. She said she did not think it would be for several years. She said she did not think they would retire the 2000 exams until they brought out another server OS. Apparently Longhorn will only be a client because she said the next server OS would be after Longhorn. She said I could find a complete list of when exams are scheduled to be retired by following the links at www.microsoft.com/learning, but I have yet to find the list.

Also, I disagree with some of the advice you have received regarding preparing for the test by simply memorizing brain dumps. Your employer will expect you to be able to practice what you have learned. There are very skilled techs on WinDrivers that have lost their jobs over the years, what do you suppose would happen to you if you did not have the skills to backup the paper? I would suggest getting a set of books and then setting up a lab in your home with older equipment from Ebay. A PIII 500 MHz. era server and client will not set you back much money, and will be very good to practice on.
    Glad to here about Win2000 Exams...I got so Many CD's and Books on winn 2000.
    I just don't want to have to start putting more money into a new 2003 exams
    I do have a Labs set up with three computers.
    I have win 2000 Server set-up on two computers and win 2000 Pro. set-up on the other.
    I have a Domain set-up call benandbrady.comI have been going thru 70-215, and 70-210
    Thank for all your reply.
    I do feel that Paper is alright, BUT I feel that if I don't know my way around then I am useless.
    But that just me.
    It is hard to get the Hand-on if no one will hired you.So if you have the paper then maybe you can get hired and then get the hand-on.
    Just don't go in there with that paper and expect to get top dollar on the money.
    Pease!

if you have 2000, 2 exams and you are 2003

Glad to here about Win2000 Exams...I got so Many CD's and Books on winn 2000.
    I just don't want to have to start putting more money into a new 2003 exams
    I do have a Labs set up with three computers.
    I have win 2000 Server set-up on two computers and win 2000 Pro. set-up on the other.
    I have a Domain set-up call benandbrady.comI have been going thru 70-215, and 70-210
    Thank for all your reply.
    I do feel that Paper is alright, BUT I feel that if I don't know my way around then I am useless.
    But that just me.
    It is hard to get the Hand-on if no one will hired you.So if you have the paper then maybe you can get hired and then get the hand-on.
    Just don't go in there with that paper and expect to get top dollar on the money.
    Pease!
    I am between the work hours an MCT (Trainee, i give formation).

I've been doing it for the last years.

And I've seen a lot, including those guys that are fundamentalists! You've seen some in this messages.

1 - You can't bee a good professional only with dumps.
    2 - You can't bee a good professional only with teory.
    3 - Dumps, reading and practice: thats the recepy!

also:
    1 - 2000 exams have the same stuff that 2003 have.
    2 - The 2003 have more new material, but still have all the 2000 exams.
    3 - Bee Careful in real worl weorking, cause 2003 inovations are't so litle as people say... Its enough to know that in 2003 you can change a domains name, and do 100% virtual clustering...!
    4 - Employers mayvbe bee smart or stupid, but all of them take notice of the certifications you give them.

Good Luck!

..Should I just go straight into MCSE 2003?
    Or something else?
    He-he .. never answered the original question..

So lately my little cv reviewing sideline has me looking for far more w2k type guys, than guys with w2k3, but the jobs with w2k3 pay better & are getting more popular, people will pay more for newer certs, but generally they want experienced too .

So I reckon if you have no experience, you should finnish up your w2k certs, get a job (easier to find at your level) & then upgrade later when you need them, many employers might pay too ..
    Last edited by confus-ed; June 28th, 2004 at 03:57 AM.