Unblocking P2P on Firewall
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unblocking P2P on Firewall

Unblocking P2P on Firewall

We have Kerio Winroute Pro Firewall at work (I am Administrator) and I'm trying to use Kazaa/WinMX/eDonkey to download MP3 (yes it is for work use as they've requested a music collection to be played on the public area PA system).

I'm wondering if the ISP has blocked it as I have allowed access to the ports specified in the firewall settings and configured everything I can find in there to grant access but i can never connect to the server using the file sharing proggys. Any ideas on what I may have overlooked?

I dont think were allowed to talk about P2P here.

Quote Originally Posted by buksida
    We have Kerio Winroute Pro Firewall at work (I am Administrator) and I'm trying to use Kazaa/WinMX/eDonkey to download MP3 (yes it is for work use as they've requested a music collection to be played on the public area PA system).

I'm wondering if the ISP has blocked it as I have allowed access to the ports specified in the firewall settings and configured everything I can find in there to grant access but i can never connect to the server using the file sharing proggys. Any ideas on what I may have overlooked?
    Tell your boss that if he wants music for the PA... he needs to send you to Best Buy to purchase some CD's. Then you can rip them if you need to.

STOP STEALING FROM MUSIC ARTISTS!
    Don't ask me... I just work here.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    I dont think were allowed to talk about P2P here.
    P2P is fine, it's how you use it that's considered shady in some cases.

As for the question at hand: Manual explaisn it all.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

One big problem that you will find if you download the mp3's from p2p is that a lot of them are corrupt and will sound fine for the first minute or 2 then a huge squeal will come through your P.A. system when it hits the corruptions. Not worth the trouble.

Do what Scooter said and buy them.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    Tell your boss that if he wants music for the PA... he needs to send you to Best Buy to purchase some CD's. Then you can rip them if you need to.

STOP STEALING FROM MUSIC ARTISTS!
    Try this website: http://www.dontbuycs.org

File trading is fair use. As long as file traders are not selling the tracks they rip from their own CDs, or selling burned copies of their CDs, they are not pirates. File trading gives artists, and the recording industry free promotion. While Napster was online, CD sales were up. Artists like Metallica's Lars Ulrich, and rapper Dr. Dre, who claimed that they were being robbed by Napster did not realize that they were being given a gift. They got more exposure than radio or any other promotion could buy, free of charge, and their new fans who discovered them online did purchase CDs. Calling their fans thieves cost them. They have a lot fewer people purchasing their recordings now. They forgot that fans are the difference between a successful artist and a starving artist.

File trading gives us a chance to try before we buy. This is something record stores no longer do. It trading gives us access to rare and out of print music we cannot find elsewhere. File trading, like calling in requests to radio stations in the past, gives us the songs we want to hear on demand. Since radio today is dominated by giant conglomerates like Clear Channel, and does not deviate from its very limited play lists, we the music fans need file trading, and so does the music industry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter
    he needs to send you to Best Buy to purchase some CD's
    that may not work because of the current copy protection schemes on some cd's or may DAMAGE you pc.

Many of us use our computers as our only CD player. If a disc will not play in a computer, It is useless, especially to the aforementioned commuter. It is certainly not worth paying up to twenty dollars for something it cost them under one dollar to manufacture. An example of these frequently unplayable discs is Charley Pride - A Tribute to Jim Reeves published by Music City Records. It is encoded with a protection scheme called mediacloq made by Sunncomm. In addition Music City Records, Sunncomm's website lists BMG, Fahrenheit Records, and Sunbird Records as their customers. Celine Dion's CD, A New Day Has Come causes computers to crash. It also has permanently damaged some CD-Rom drives by corrupting their firmware. If this disc is placed in a Macintosh Computer, it cannot be removed without the help of a professional service technician. This disc published by Epic/Sony contains a protection scheme called Key2Audio. Another copy protection scheme is called Cactus Data Shield. It was made by Midbar Tech, which was recently acquired by Macrovision Corporation. There currently three versions of it on the market. A more complete list of corrupted and "copy protected" CDs is available at http://www.fatchucks.com/z3.cd.html.
    Now lets talk about price.

It costs less than a dollar to press a disc. When CDs were new, they cost twice as much as LPs and cassettes. The industry claimed that the cost to produce this new format was high, and promised that as their costs came down, so would retail prices. This price drop never occurred. In stores where vinyl records and cassettes are still sold, they are priced lower than CDs, even though they cost more to manufacture. A movie on DVD frequently sells for less than its soundtrack on CD. The industry has colluded to fix prices, and they continue to skyrocket. In many US markets, CDs cost twenty dollars. In many countries, CDs cost even more. For example in Iceland, a CD can cost 2500kr, equal to 29.50 in US dollars. This is unacceptable.
    sorry for the long rant. but PIRACY as the industry calls it is not even the right word for it, check this out.

http://web.archive.org/web/200202080...ne/naghavi.htm

Alt_255 I understand your point of view, but we are talking here about a business playing the music in public, like a radio station without a dj.

If they want to do that, then they would be better off piping a suitable radio station through the office. Public performance of copyright material WITHOUT PERMISSION is and has always been illegal and I do not see one of the p2p rights people saying any different.

This is not about the legality of p2p, this is about whether a business can openly abuse the copyright laws because the boss says so.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    ..This is not about the legality of p2p, this is about whether a business can openly abuse the copyright laws because the boss says so.
    Ahh :butt: (but) of course buksida ain't the boss is he ? Merely a paid minion whose boss may take exception to him disagreeing !

& anyway we don't even know that these tracks concerned are copyrighted - all that 'lift music' for instance, where 'no-name' bands do 'classics' is often 'copyright free' - else how do they record them in the first place without getting 'grief' for making them ?

Personally 'here' I think answering the question is ok - as all the 'dire warnings about ignoring copyright issues' are more than clear ..

Then answer his question.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Then answer his question.
    New word for you - 'rhetorical' ...

..the ISP has blocked it ..
    Is the most likely explanation given what he says ..

beginning to regret making the post now

Its just a touch'y subject with happenings like this ;
    http://www.webtechgeek.com/IndexWTG.htm#suedms
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Ahh :butt: (but) of course buksida ain't the boss is he ? Merely a paid minion whose boss may take exception to him disagreeing !

& anyway we don't even know that these tracks concerned are copyrighted - all that 'lift music' for instance, where 'no-name' bands do 'classics' is often 'copyright free' - else how do they record them in the first place without getting 'grief' for making them ?

Personally 'here' I think answering the question is ok - as all the 'dire warnings about ignoring copyright issues' are more than clear ..
    Strangely enough lift music is copyrighted and licenced. It used to be called muzak although I have been out of that loop for some time, in my younger days I often accompanied musician friends of mine to studios for sessions which cut tracks specifically for background and ambience music distributors.

Buksida should contact his local music copyright organisation to find out what the legal requirements are. Be a shame his employment ended simply because the company couldn't pay the fines imposed if caught.

Penalty and Prescription
    The penalty stipulated in the Copyright Act B.E. 2537 is much higher than the one stipulated in the Copyright Act B.E. 2521. Any person directly infringing the copyright under Section 27, Section 28, Section 29 or Section 30 shall be liable to a fine from twenty thousand baht to two hundred thousand baht. If the said offence is committed for a commercial purpose, the offender shall be liable to imprisonment for a term from six months to four years or to a fine from one hundred thousand baht to eight hundred thousand baht or to both (Section 69).
    from here

Fancy 6 months in a Thai jail do you buksida?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Whichever route you choose you would still need to purchase a public music license from the appropriate authority to broadcast the music.

beginning to regret making the post now
    No don't be dude .. if you don't ask you can't find out can you ? - here folks just locked onto what is a 'concern' somewhat 'strongly' & some folks get more upset than others about this {I personally think nearly all copyright issues 'stink' - but the law is the law etc}, but it'll be YOU or someone in your company who potentially might pay the cost for any 'ignorance' on the subject

You'll have to weigh the risks of pissing your Boss off vs doing whats potentially illegal .. not that I think anywhere is gonna send you to jail for this, but it may very well have more consequence than anyone thought at first, so its a good job you asked !