Incorrect Function
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Incorrect Function

Unhappy Incorrect Function

When I try to read a normal CD/DVD, it doesn't autoplay... And when i go to My Computer and double-click either of the CD drives (LG DVD and LiteOn CD-RW) it just says "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function".
    I've tried re-installing and disabling the drives. I've even tried System Restore but nothing seems to help....
    Can anyone plz help me?

First things to check:
    • Proper conections of cables
    • Proper use of jumpers to define Master/Slave
    • Have BIOS auto-detect the drives
    • Verify that they show up during POST
    • Check for irregularities under Device Manager
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

and Welcome to Windrivers Jerkku.

If there is anything you do not understand in Adept's list, reply to this thread with your queries and we will talk you through it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yeah, and perhaps trying to boot the pc up with a bootable cd could be a first step here.
    Let's see if it's hardware or software.

Well if everyones gonna 'play' ..

Of course double clicking will normally fire autoplay so if whatever he's got in each drive doesn't want to 'start' for whatever reason then he may very well get something like "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function"

Perhaps a far more simple & straight forward question like - Can you see the contents of any CD - might be much more appropriate ?

i can see that there is a cd inside but i cant open it..... i can write with my CD-RW but not read... i dont think its because of any cables, i cant even read digital camera memory cards or virtual cd-drives..... aaaaaaargh.... im getting mad with my pc....

Then lets look at the motherboard drivers. jerkku, what computer do you have if its a branded one like compaq, hp, emachine... if not what motherboard is it?

download and run this it should tell you under system or mainboard or bios what your motherboard is. If you are not sure which bit to quote, then paste the entire thing into a reply and then remove the software section.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

sorry but i cant download anything for the moment... i just moved to another country and i have to use my friends internet to get to this place...

its a computer i built myself... it worked fine for 1 year so there is no problem with the compatibility of the devices... i dont know about the motherboard but i have a AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 512 MB of DDR, 80 gig HDD and so on... the problem seems to have appeared while our family moved to another country but i know that there is no problems with the drives, it just seems to be some kind of setting which is f***ed up.... would it help if i format the computer and re-install everything?

Let me get this straight now: you have a CD stuck in the drive and you can't get it out now? Is that what you mean by "open it"? Or, open as in "reading"?
    If the latter, try a "normal" store bought data cd.
    If the former: go to My Computer and "right" click on the CD drive letter and choose eject. Or, restart the pc and just as it's starting up, press the open/close button and it will come out, since Nero is not "controlling" the disk any longer, which is what it sounds like is happening.

BTW
    In the Lounge we have a football prediction thread going on that you may be interested in if you are a footy fan...especially today, right?

Angry

nonononono!!!!! i have the "my computer" saying "incorrect function" when i try to open the cd contents....!

Alright, what about regular CD's? Does it do it with any kind of CD?
    Have you done everything already asked, because much of this has already been suggested. And, if you built the pc, then the chipset drivers will be on the cd that came with your mb...if the cd drive will read them.
    And, what do you mean "virtual CD".What do you have installed, as this is another potential hint here people.
    Ideas, anyone?

..nonononono!!!!!
    Before we go further - a note on 'internet diagnosis' - its REALLY DIFFICULT ! - we can only be as 'smart' as you can describe it - try & be calm with us & we'll do likewise - what you want to do your pc {& possibly us} though 'relieving of frustration' may not be the best thing

Quote Originally Posted by jerkku
    i can see that there is a cd inside but i cant open it..... i can write with my CD-RW but not read... i dont think its because of any cables, i cant even read digital camera memory cards or virtual cd-drives..... aaaaaaargh.... im getting mad with my pc....
    Vitual drive s/w may be the culprit, now you've mentioned it, that introduces a proprietry 'burn' driver to your system & very often also replaces a very important file called atapi.sys when installed, I'd suggest that removal of any virtual drive s/w & checking that atapi.sys is digitally signed are probable next steps (replace from your windows cd if it isn't using sfc) ..
    Last edited by confus-ed; June 25th, 2004 at 09:50 AM.

I had this about 2 months after installing a TEAC CD-RW, the mapped drive would disappear (E for the CD drive that you put a CD in and clicking on the remaining drive (D would say "incorrect function"

I fixed it by re-installing the IDE controller drivers for the motherboard, which was an EPOX (I think) with a VIA chipset.

EDIT: Funny moment, just re-reading the thread and where it should say open brackets ( D: close brackets) there is a smilie! Love Technology, love it ta bits!
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

yup motherboard drivers, like wot I said

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    yup motherboard drivers, like wot I said

Yeah, where were you 6 months ago!
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"