Incorrect Function - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect Function

kkk.... ill try to reinstall mb drivers when i get internet to my place (as i said im usin my neibors pc to read this place) lets see how it works after that.... thnx anyways...

Some via chipset drivers will fit on a floppy disk, or span the latest Hyperion onto two disks with PKZip or WinZip and then extract them on your pc and install. No need to wait for internet on yours.

i ****ed up my floppy drive long long time ago...... it hasent worked for 2 yrs i think..... lol =D

so whats the plan jerkku?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

i formatted my harddrive, it works fine now....

The ultimate fix. Often quicker in the long run.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jerkku
    nonononono!!!!! i have the "my computer" saying "incorrect function" when i try to open the cd contents....!
    I've been troubleshooting the same problem on a system for about a month. Same message for all CD's, Floppy or usb hard drives. Reinstalled Roxio,XP and SP's and removed suspect HP scanner software....no help. Removed upper and lower filter keys per support.microsoft.com. Just found an entry that suggests reassigning the drive letters in disk manager. tempted to believe the motherrboard is bad but feel that is too far fetched for a bug that is talked about all over the web.

Welcome to Windrivers Dennis

Did reassigning the driver letter help?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Dennis

Did reassigning the driver letter help?
    I didn't get a chance yet...that PC is down in Ocala....HOWEVER, further research found another forum where several users had the same issue and all fixed it by uninstalling their antivirus software....2 were versions of Norton and there were a couple of others. all users had incorrect function on CD's and/or floppy ans/or usb hdd's. I emailed the user in Ocala to remove Norton....I'll update later if this fixes the issue

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jerkku
    i formatted my harddrive, it works fine now....
    Hi guys, new here but would appreciate any help you can give.
    Have a very similiar problem.
    Have a Liteon LTD163 DVD in the D:\ drive and a Plextor W2410A CDRW in the E:\ drive. Have owned my PC for over two years and both have been functionally great.
    Now have the same problem as Jerku had, although when in My Computer it acknowledges there is a CD Rom in the drive it will not load any data up. When double click on the D:\ drive get the message 'D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function' and when double click on E:\ doesn't register any contents. Funny thing is that they will both play audio CDs. Running XP, but seeming has been OK for over 2 years pretty sure its not a software problem.
    Not totally sure how to format harddrive so any advice would be much appreciated. I've tried uninstalling the drives & reinstalling, tried firmware upgrades etc - so far nothing has worked. How do I update motherboard drivers, or should I try changing the IDE cable.
    Not too sure what to try next and pretty much wanna kill my PC right now, so please help.
    (P.S. Is it just a coincidence that we both had Liteon CD/DVD drives).

Suggest you start where I left off...uninstall your antivirus software and try it.....I'm thinking they are being blocked..this fixed several similar issues on another forum .....in your case, the only other thing I would try would be to physically disconnect power and cable from one cd and see if the other still works....then vice versa...or logically change both cd drive letters under disk manager in computer management....

Dennis D, MCSE, MCDBA, A+
    Infrastructure Analyst
    http://www.donahoe-landscapes.com
    desparetly looking for full time employment!

Wisdom Welcome to Windrivers

Please also check the device manager (right click my computer, properties, 3rd tab - hardware, device manager button) Are there any ! next to any devices?

Major update...It's Fixed!! (finally)...after removing Norton antivirus the drives still gave an error but the PC also suddenly had an error on Norton Desktop firewall....had the user remove the firewall...CD's, Floppy and USB drives all now work without error....reinstalling the software now should not cause the problem to come back immediatly...if it does I intend to open an incident with Norton.

Sorry for the number of entries but this is a tough bug....after fixing the one I've been discussing I found an entry on Nortons site with more specific info for those interested....
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...av&svy=&csm=no

Nothing to be sorry about dennis, and thanks for the additional info. With so many "bugs" out there we are all in this together and appreciate all new additions to our arsenals for fighting said bugs.
    A side note from the Norton KB article notes other potential problems/bugs as well, so it is NOT always just NAV.
    Thanks again.