Incorrect Function - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect Function

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dennisd567
    Sorry for the number of entries but this is a tough bug....after fixing the one I've been discussing I found an entry on Nortons site with more specific info for those interested....
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...av&svy=&csm=no
    Thanks for the replies, and especially the link to the symantec page. Had installed Norton Internet Security 2004 not so long ago. Not until I visited the web page did I realise that a CD would load up if it was in the drive before the power was turned on. Have now deleted NIS and happy to say that both my drives now work.
    But then comes my next problem. My PC now no longer has any virus protection. Have deleted all temporary internet files and tried to reinstall NIS but each time I do this I lose access to my CD/DVD drives. Not an even trade off, so have to go without virus protection at the moment. Has anyone else encountered this and have you found out a solution to this. The symantec site doesn't have a solution that works and only form of technical support seems to be over the phone (no guarantees that they will be able to help). After several hours of trying various solutions am still having no luck in getting my drives to work whilst simultaneously keeping my virus protection. Any ideas anyone?

..am still having no luck in getting my drives to work whilst simultaneously keeping my virus protection. Any ideas anyone?
    Err don't use a product that needs a team of technicians on 24/7 standby to get it working ?

Norton is all very well in its place (a corporate environment- as thats what its designed for) but for home users its just way too much to go wrong ! Its a bit of 'heavyweight' stuff & mostly overkill anyway..

& that's meant to be 'helpful' not just a 'slag norton off' type comment

www.grisoft.com it's free, it works and it will solve the immediate problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dennisd567
    Sorry for the number of entries but this is a tough bug....after fixing the one I've been discussing I found an entry on Nortons site with more specific info for those interested....
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...av&svy=&csm=no
    Good catch, dennisd567... I had installed Norton Antivirus 2004 last week and had trouble with the "Incorrect Function" error message ever since. I followed the instructions on the link above and uninstalled InCD, which I never used anyway. No more problems... Thanks! NickC

Welcome to Windrivers NickC - glad the forum helped.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Cool Just for the record

I was struggling for 3 days over this one on a W2000 machine.
    It turns out that exactly the same issues everyone has described here - especially with NAV/NPF causing the problems, that Computer Associates e-Trust also produces the same fault.

I have since removed e-Trust and everything is back as normal.

So... that's another anti-virus product in the bin!

Welcome to Windrivers Alan

E-trust works great for me... guess it's about setups and what other apps you have.

Bios

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    First things to check:
    • Proper conections of cables
    • Proper use of jumpers to define Master/Slave
    • Have BIOS auto-detect the drives
    • Verify that they show up during POST
    • Check for irregularities under Device Manager

Hi! I am new to this forum; but I am having a problem that a lot of people seem to be having with d is not accessible incorrect function. Can you please help me to have BIOS auto-detect my drives?

Ok...this topic thread is about to get worse, I believe...I've been scowering the boards looking for potential solutions to my SAME issue that the original poster described...but the differences with my situation will become clear--no possible solution I've read about has worked....so...here goes. The best explanation for what's happening to my drives comes directly from the norton website:

"You see the CD-ROM drive, but its contents are not displayed. If you start the computer with a disk in one of the drives, then you can access that drive; however, as soon as the disk is removed, the drive becomes inaccessible again."

First...the main differences in my situation:

1. Not only is my DVD-RW and CD-RW internal drives behaving this way, but so is a firewire CD-RW drive that I've attached for testing purposes (thus, I doubt it's a cable issue)

2. I did happen to have both roxio and nero products on my computer, but, they were already the latest versions. (thus, it was not a latest version of software issue).

3. All my firmware was/is up to date. (thus, no luck there).

4. Lastly...if I remember right, there were no circumstances that the original poster mentioned where he/she could use the drive. My circumstances are different. I can STILL use the drive to burn a CD in itunes...even though xp's my computer window (or any program, including itunes) will not recognize the CD prior to the burning OR when it's finished burning. I can also burn from Nero...even though nothing else can get the drive to be recognized or be useful, I CAN burn disks all day long...but never recognize any sort of CD-Rom, audio CD, etc that I might place in the drive tray....UNLESS it was in the tray prior reboot.

--------------------------------------

Ok...now for the most popular solutions I have tried, but have resulted in no change in the whole "incorrect function" stuff....

1. Completely uninstalled everything roxio....everything...evey last vestage of evidence that such a program existed...without actually writing 0's to the hard drive.

2. Completely uninstalled everything "inCD".

3. Completely rolled back service pack 2 for xp pro.

4. Completely uninstalled norton anti-virus (never had internet security or nortonworks....just the basic antivirus for home). Uninstalled everything that hinted that norton had been there.

5. Deleted all TDK software (the brand of my DVD-RW drive) and all possible software associated with it...even though most of it was deleted when I got rid of roxio stuff...

6. Deleted everything having to do with Nero 6.6......all gone....completely obliterated.

7. Updated any chipset and misc. motherboard drivers, bios, blah, blah, blah... (intel motherboard)

8. Deleted the devices and the secondary ide drivers in the device manager menu....and let the computer re-recognize them after reboot.

All this....and still....same routine. If it's in the tray prior to restart, each drive will recognize it and I can explore what's on the CD, etc....but if I so much as think of taking that media out of any of these drives, it will stiffen its back in defiance, refuse to recognize the new CD and give me the "incorrect function" stuff if I double click...yet I can still place a blank CD in the drive and burn to it from itunes and nero (assuming nero was still installed). Hmmmm....please....someone be a super-duper genius and intuitively know the proper solution.....

Quote Originally Posted by rswhite777
    Ok...this topic thread is about to get worse, I believe...I've been scowering the boards looking for potential solutions to my SAME issue that the original poster described...but the differences with my situation will become clear--no possible solution I've read about has worked....so...here goes. The best explanation for what's happening to my drives comes directly from the norton website:

"You see the CD-ROM drive, but its contents are not displayed. If you start the computer with a disk in one of the drives, then you can access that drive; however, as soon as the disk is removed, the drive becomes inaccessible again."

First...the main differences in my situation:

1. Not only is my DVD-RW and CD-RW internal drives behaving this way, but so is a firewire CD-RW drive that I've attached for testing purposes (thus, I doubt it's a cable issue)

2. I did happen to have both roxio and nero products on my computer, but, they were already the latest versions. (thus, it was not a latest version of software issue).

3. All my firmware was/is up to date. (thus, no luck there).

4. Lastly...if I remember right, there were no circumstances that the original poster mentioned where he/she could use the drive. My circumstances are different. I can STILL use the drive to burn a CD in itunes...even though xp's my computer window (or any program, including itunes) will not recognize the CD prior to the burning OR when it's finished burning. I can also burn from Nero...even though nothing else can get the drive to be recognized or be useful, I CAN burn disks all day long...but never recognize any sort of CD-Rom, audio CD, etc that I might place in the drive tray....UNLESS it was in the tray prior reboot.

--------------------------------------

Ok...now for the most popular solutions I have tried, but have resulted in no change in the whole "incorrect function" stuff....

1. Completely uninstalled everything roxio....everything...evey last vestage of evidence that such a program existed...without actually writing 0's to the hard drive.

2. Completely uninstalled everything "inCD".

3. Completely rolled back service pack 2 for xp pro.

4. Completely uninstalled norton anti-virus (never had internet security or nortonworks....just the basic antivirus for home). Uninstalled everything that hinted that norton had been there.

5. Deleted all TDK software (the brand of my DVD-RW drive) and all possible software associated with it...even though most of it was deleted when I got rid of roxio stuff...

6. Deleted everything having to do with Nero 6.6......all gone....completely obliterated.

7. Updated any chipset and misc. motherboard drivers, bios, blah, blah, blah... (intel motherboard)

8. Deleted the devices and the secondary ide drivers in the device manager menu....and let the computer re-recognize them after reboot.

All this....and still....same routine. If it's in the tray prior to restart, each drive will recognize it and I can explore what's on the CD, etc....but if I so much as think of taking that media out of any of these drives, it will stiffen its back in defiance, refuse to recognize the new CD and give me the "incorrect function" stuff if I double click...yet I can still place a blank CD in the drive and burn to it from itunes and nero (assuming nero was still installed). Hmmmm....please....someone be a super-duper genius and intuitively know the proper solution.....
    I think our situation is very similar. I can still burn cd's using nero and windows media. I took Nero off and reinstalled it. No Luck. I took Norton off. No luck. My drive is a dvd-rw/cd-rw but it thinks it is a standard cd-rom drive. I think I may have had roxio (the latest version) but that has been long gone. I have the updated driver and what not. When a disc is in the drive it says the disc is there but if I click it it gives me d not accessible incorrect function. This is a recent problem. I have tried all microsoft solutions as well as the symantec solution. I am also using windows xp. I appreciate all the help and feedback!

Just an fyi here. This problem is almost always due to Nero's Incd being installed on the system. I think out of the 50 or so systems I've seen with this problem on them, maybe 2 or 3 were not because of Incd. Usually just removing Incd will fix the problem but occasionally a format is needed.

The joy of packet writing software that most people don't use because they don't even know it is installed on their system with Nero.

Oh, and removing and reinstalling Nero will not fix the problem. Incd is a separate program you will find in your add/remove programs list.

Incorrect Funtion, I've seen this problem on my brother's computer before but I haven't gotten it fixed yet. The drive can still read CDs and DVDs, except certain ones. For those certain DVDs, when I click on the DVD drive in explorer, it would pop up the Incorrect Function message and I wouldn't be able to access the DVD. I've updated the firmware but it hasn't work. I popped the DVD disk into another DVD drive on the same computer and it worked perfectly. I was thinking maybe it was just the drive that couldn't read it.

Brother's Computer DVD drives:
    AOpen DVD (older model)
    AOPen DVD (next model) (working one)

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseh
    Just an fyi here. This problem is almost always due to Nero's Incd being installed on the system. I think out of the 50 or so systems I've seen with this problem on them, maybe 2 or 3 were not because of Incd. Usually just removing Incd will fix the problem but occasionally a format is needed.

The joy of packet writing software that most people don't use because they don't even know it is installed on their system with Nero.

Oh, and removing and reinstalling Nero will not fix the problem. Incd is a separate program you will find in your add/remove programs list.

Thanks Cheeseh...I found it on my comp, but my question is why did it stop working all of a sudden? My comp came with only Nero express on it and the drive was working fine. I do not no if InCd was there already, but I unistalled and reinstalled Nero and it didnt work like you said. I'm going to try to unistall InCd.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseh

hmmm....I appreciate the thought, but this was covered in my post--i already uninstalled inCD--one of the first things i did. Go read my whole post. Thanks

Hi! I have the same problem, and i' ve tried everything, uninstalling Norton and Nero and all the other things you guys posted in this thread, but still no solution....

When I want to play a dvd, my drive sometimes recognizes the disc, some other times it doesn't, but I still cannot record any dvd's.... I have a LG gsa 4040B, and it all started when i installed windows XP with the SP2.....