Incorrect Function - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Incorrect Function

Quote Originally Posted by faltinhas
    .... I have a LG gsa 4040B, and it all started when i installed windows XP with the SP2.....
    I thought you'd rolled that back ? In which case you'll be interested to know that it doesn't necessarily 'un-roll' everything (for testing /getting it 'right' you are now in the mire, as it may leave later versions of important things like atapi.sys behind than those originally set up depending on how well your microsoft installer package was working in your pre sp2 state & when you actually patched things & in what order etc - its not guaranteed 'as before' anyway ! ) ..

So suggestions to take you further forward ? .. ASPI layer ? (stictly xp doesn't have one, but nearly all buring apps use it, or can, so its best to update it/install it ) - Windows ASPI package support @adeptec

Or given what I've just told you about patches & service packs & that damned cursed MSI, you might maybe try a parallel install ? Blow by blow 'destructions' here & if that works restore your data/apps to that new install & then zap your original ..

I've solved my problem...

I formated my machine, and now everything works just fine.....

Now I have installed nero 6.6.0 and norton systemwork premium 2005, and I have all the other things I had before the format, so I don't understand what was wrong before....

Perhaps it was something to do with Nero... before I had 6.0 and now I've installed 6.6.0.0

Quote Originally Posted by faltinhas
    I've solved my problem...

I formated my machine, and now everything works just fine.....

Now I have installed nero 6.6.0 and norton systemwork premium 2005, and I have all the other things I had before the format, so I don't understand what was wrong before....

Perhaps it was something to do with Nero... before I had 6.0 and now I've installed 6.6.0.0

I don't mean to belabor the point...but I already covered this in the original post....i have 6.6 installed...so that's not it. However, I've since uninstalled it, even...no dice still

Is it possilbe that something installed caused an irreversible key entry or device glitch that cannot be fixed without the nuclear scenario (reformat and reload)?

Quote Originally Posted by rswhite777
    ..Is it possilbe that something installed caused an irreversible key entry or device glitch that cannot be fixed without the nuclear scenario (reformat and reload)?
    I think most likely this is some version conflict & order of patches stuff - its time to make a call on how much more time you want to 'fanny about' trying to fix it - clean install is 'bestist' starting point always ..

Quote Originally Posted by rswhite777
    Ok...this topic thread is about to get worse, I believe...I've been scowering the boards looking for potential solutions to my SAME issue that the original poster described...but the differences with my situation will become clear--no possible solution I've read about has worked....so...here goes. The best explanation for what's happening to my drives comes directly from the norton website:

"You see the CD-ROM drive, but its contents are not displayed. If you start the computer with a disk in one of the drives, then you can access that drive; however, as soon as the disk is removed, the drive becomes inaccessible again."

First...the main differences in my situation:

1. Not only is my DVD-RW and CD-RW internal drives behaving this way, but so is a firewire CD-RW drive that I've attached for testing purposes (thus, I doubt it's a cable issue)

2. I did happen to have both roxio and nero products on my computer, but, they were already the latest versions. (thus, it was not a latest version of software issue).

3. All my firmware was/is up to date. (thus, no luck there).

4. Lastly...if I remember right, there were no circumstances that the original poster mentioned where he/she could use the drive. My circumstances are different. I can STILL use the drive to burn a CD in itunes...even though xp's my computer window (or any program, including itunes) will not recognize the CD prior to the burning OR when it's finished burning. I can also burn from Nero...even though nothing else can get the drive to be recognized or be useful, I CAN burn disks all day long...but never recognize any sort of CD-Rom, audio CD, etc that I might place in the drive tray....UNLESS it was in the tray prior reboot.

--------------------------------------

Ok...now for the most popular solutions I have tried, but have resulted in no change in the whole "incorrect function" stuff....

1. Completely uninstalled everything roxio....everything...evey last vestage of evidence that such a program existed...without actually writing 0's to the hard drive.

2. Completely uninstalled everything "inCD".

3. Completely rolled back service pack 2 for xp pro.

4. Completely uninstalled norton anti-virus (never had internet security or nortonworks....just the basic antivirus for home). Uninstalled everything that hinted that norton had been there.

5. Deleted all TDK software (the brand of my DVD-RW drive) and all possible software associated with it...even though most of it was deleted when I got rid of roxio stuff...

6. Deleted everything having to do with Nero 6.6......all gone....completely obliterated.

7. Updated any chipset and misc. motherboard drivers, bios, blah, blah, blah... (intel motherboard)

8. Deleted the devices and the secondary ide drivers in the device manager menu....and let the computer re-recognize them after reboot.

All this....and still....same routine. If it's in the tray prior to restart, each drive will recognize it and I can explore what's on the CD, etc....but if I so much as think of taking that media out of any of these drives, it will stiffen its back in defiance, refuse to recognize the new CD and give me the "incorrect function" stuff if I double click...yet I can still place a blank CD in the drive and burn to it from itunes and nero (assuming nero was still installed). Hmmmm....please....someone be a super-duper genius and intuitively know the proper solution.....

Hi, Im new here, I have been having similar problems and have been reading the threads on this forum. For what its worth, I contacted Nero support and they advised : "Please activate your DMA Mode for all your CD/DVD drives"

For Windows 95/98/ME: Go to your 'Control Panel->System->Device Manager' and under your drives 'Properties->Settings' enable DMA for your devices.

For Windows 2000/XP: Go to your 'Control Panel->Systems->Hardware->Device Manager' and from there double-click on the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers'. Right Click on the the 'Primary IDE Channel' and go to 'Properties>Advanced settings' and change Transfer Mode to 'DMA if available'. Do the same for the Secondary IDE Channel...... You can contact Nero support and get info/help specific to your system..

They also advised to then download latest version of InCD from:
    http://httpdl.nero.com/InCD4305.exe

OK, the upshot of trying out the various ways posted and from Nero above have resulted in me getting so close to hopefully getting round this (I have new multi disk software I need to install - and can't).

I made the changes to Primary and Secondary IDE Channel as advised by Nero support.

Downloaded InCD update - then took it off again ( before, I could run a -Games -CD or DVD if I rebooted with disk in [ I can identify and play music anytime] - with the InCD update I could not access CD/DVD even with CD in and rebooting??)

I disabled Norton AntiVirus (as advised at Norton Support)- and Norton Internet Security [2004] - (then re booted):

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...03050715532006

I rebooted [without CD in], put a games CD into DVD and it self ran - without having to 'start - run' [CD or DVD have not self run for ages - since this all started], then inserted the next CD - back to normal - not accessable - Incorrect Function @~####@.

I had previously totally removed NIS, Nero, InCD - no joy - then back on.

I had been running my system since bought [2001] without any problems :

WinXP OEM Home - SP2
    AMD Athlon 1800+
    MB: MSI K7T266 Pro
    AGP: nVIDIA GeForce3
    LG - DVD-ROM 16x/48x DVD-ROM(video adapter-NVIDIA GeForce3 (64MB)
    TDK CDRW 24x10x40
    Nero Burning 5.5 (on system since new) [with InCD]
    Norton Internet Security (on system since new - with upgrades since)

Things all seemed to go wrong around the end of October this year around the time when I renewed / upgraded Norton IS [NIS 2004].??

At least I have now got to the stage of my system recognising a [1st]CD [other than music] without rebooting with disk in.

Has anyone any idea's please, like everyone else, this is driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ColX
    Hi, Im new here, I have been having similar problems and have been reading the threads on this forum...
    Has anyone any idea's please, like everyone else, this is driving me crazy.
    Welcome to WD forums ColX.

So you seem to be doing all the right kinds of things, all this is to do with things called 'filter drivers' which are like regular device drivers except they are a class within a driver - (that's 'propper geek' & probably makes not so much sense to anyone not well versed in such language - so think of these 'filters' as providing one function to a driver e.g. burning dvd or making a virtual drive)

Try downloading this utility & posting back the results & see if it enlightens anyone on what might be amiss

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Welcome to WD forums ColX.

So you seem to be doing all the right kinds of things, all this is to do with things called 'filter drivers' which are like regular device drivers except they are a class within a driver - (that's 'propper geek' & probably makes not so much sense to anyone not well versed in such language - so think of these 'filters' as providing one function to a driver e.g. burning dvd or making a virtual drive)

Try downloading this utility & posting back the results & see if it enlightens anyone on what might be amiss
    Hi Confus-ed,

Thanks for the response / help, I visited bustrace (thanks) here are the results:

a) CD Identifier.exe - All looked OK
    b) GUID Explorer :- GUID_Devclass_CD Rom :
    device # 0 \device\ide\ide device P1T1L0-17
    device # 1 \device\ide\ide device P1T0L0-f
    c) Filter Driver Load Order:
    LG DVD-ROM: Upper device filter - redbook
    Lower class filter - NeroCd2k
    d) TDK CDRW:Upper device filter - redbook
    Lower class filter - NeroCd2k
    Lower device filter- imapi (5.1.2600.2180[xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    e) IDE/ATAPI BUS UTILISATION MONITOR: 0-1% av.

I have ordered PC-cillin Internet security and intend to replace NIS, from where I believe the problem may eminate. What I did not post previously, is that about 12 months ago I decided to buy [impulse buy] Norton AntiVirus "Professional" [dont know why??] problem was, that when I loaded it up I started to get something along the lines of "access denied - permissions etc" [can't quite remember the exact words] - I could not access my CD or DVD - very similar to this problem.

I visited Norton Support and - as instructed altered regedit->permisions etc??, and then could access. Problem was that when you rebooted - same problem - so I removed it and had to bite the cost.

I have a strong feeling that even if I do the above, I will most likely [hope not] have to a reformat.

Hopefully you or someone reading the above can offer help

Thanks

Mmm maybe I won't ask for results from that again ? posting back ain't so clear ! (a screenshot would be brill - but this daft board doesn't allow them only linked images)..

Right so try uninstalling nero & incd again (these flipping computers are a PITA !) - & run this util again & see if 'NeroCd2k' is going away or not ? (this should only be there for pc's running nero & only in profiles without admin rights {don't ask me why - for once I've no idea whatsoever - I just know it works like that !}) - but thats also 'ringing bells' here as Norton have had you 'pissing' with permissions & I know at least that here its looking almost certain to be some 'regrant of permissions by a process' type problem .. what the hell will fix it is another matter - but I'm sure we can get around it - this looks like some order of install & profile problem (not xp's strong point when not in a domain !)

Mmm maybe I won't ask for results from that again ? posting back ain't so clear ! (a screenshot would be brill - but this daft board doesn't allow them only linked images)..

Right so try uninstalling nero & incd again (these flipping computers are a PITA !) - & run this util again & see if 'NeroCd2k' is going away or not ? (this should only be there for pc's running nero & only in profiles without admin rights {don't ask me why - for once I've no idea whatsoever - I just know it works like that !}) - but thats also 'ringing bells' here as Norton have had you 'pissing' with permissions & I know at least that here its looking almost certain to be some 'regrant of permissions by a process' type problem .. what the hell will fix it is another matter - but I'm sure we can get around it - this looks like some order of install & profile problem (not xp's strong point when not in a domain !)

Hi ED,

As you suggested, I again removed Nero Burning and InCD, disabled Norton Internet Security, rebooted and guess what...........I can now get access to my CD/DVD - have loaded up the CD's I needed to, then re enabled Norton Internet Security..............so far everything is still OK

Can't understand it - I had previously carried out the above operations - but without a result.

Anyway, I don't know why it worked this time - but I'm not going to knock it................................

Thanks for you help

Quote Originally Posted by ColX
    so far everything is still OK..

Can't understand it - I had previously carried out the above operations - but without a result...
    - as long as it stays fixed methinks .. lots of these programmes have pretty poohey install routines as far as profiling goes & probably that & something in Norton was causing the issues ..

- as long as it stays fixed methinks .. lots of these programmes have pretty poohey install routines as far as profiling goes & probably that & something in Norton was causing the issues ..
    Just to let you know, since I had previously paid for the Nero 6603 upgrade [ installed then removed it - did'nt at that time fix the problem] I have since redownloaded and installed Nero 6603, and is working fine [ so far ? - can still use CD/VDV]

It seems from my experience, anyone having this problem > remove Nero and InCD>disable Norton AntiVirus/Internet Security>reboot>Should now be able to access your DVD/CD>download upgrade to Nero 6 [ this download still picks up ?? that you have/had a previous Nero installed] then you can carry on using Nero.