Out Of Range

Thread: Out Of Range

Out Of Range

I'm working on a Dell Dimension 2350. Its Windows XP Home and Intel 845 graphics. The problem was it had virus that could not be deleted even in safe mode. So I plugged the drive into my machine and and deleted the file from my OS.

Now I just need to boot the machine up in my shop to make sure everything is ok befroe the customer takes it home. Problem is that when I boot it up it goes to a range too high for any monitor I can find (2, an lcd and a 15in. crt). I can boot into safe mode (even as administrator) but the options to reduce the refresh are not there. It just has the option "use default hardware settings".

I can remove the driver and boot into normal mode without a driver and 648x480 res. I tried installing the driver from Dell's site and the newest from Intel but as soon as it gets to the login screnn it goes out of range.

How can I get into this machine?
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

delete the monitor driver?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

on some older machines, i remember changing the refresh rate in the BIOS. maybe that wood work. ??
    It's good to be the King.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmm33
    I'm working on a Dell Dimension 2350. Its Windows XP Home and Intel 845 graphics. The problem was it had virus that could not be deleted even in safe mode. So I plugged the drive into my machine and and deleted the file from my OS.

Now I just need to boot the machine up in my shop to make sure everything is ok befroe the customer takes it home. Problem is that when I boot it up it goes to a range too high for any monitor I can find (2, an lcd and a 15in. crt). I can boot into safe mode (even as administrator) but the options to reduce the refresh are not there. It just has the option "use default hardware settings".

I can remove the driver and boot into normal mode without a driver and 648x480 res. I tried installing the driver from Dell's site and the newest from Intel but as soon as it gets to the login screnn it goes out of range.

How can I get into this machine?
    Try removing the driver then using DirverCleaner to hopefully clean up all the settings of the driver from the registry and INF files. Then re-install the driver.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Vip2; June 25th, 2004 at 10:05 AM.

Excellent proggy.
    Never seen it before, but its straight in the toolbox.

Thanks
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

on all NT based machine you can go VGA mode
    there install the driver and reboot
    I believe it will solve the problem

cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    If you post the name of the file perhaps someone can send it to you?
    You can also try this.
    go to safe mode then into Device manager- Monitor-Properties-Driver and choose Roll back driver. If there is no previous driver than choose Update driver-Install from a specific location-Don't search. Uncheck Show compatible hardware. Then choose a monitor that you know has the same or lower refresh rate than the one you use.
    Last edited by techs; June 27th, 2004 at 01:44 PM.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush