Shared DSL

Thread: Shared DSL

Shared DSL

Heres the situation, the local monopoly, i.e. ISP, has an offer for student @ US$ 27 per month for a 128k DSL connection with a cap of 500MB. Its the cheapest theyve got. SO i thought i could get my neighbor in my building to share it. HE doesnt use much but i think i can get him to go along with me on this, he's nice. Heres the problem, I want to get him the DSL Modem cum Router so that i can just take a LAN cable from his house and directly into my room, from my room,using a hub i can give it to my laptop and my PC,

Q] Do i need a hub? Or do i just take 2 cables from teh Router in teh first place?
    Q] With the distance (look below) would i be getting full 100MBPS or is it a case of luck?
    Q] Its hot, very hot, would this be a bad thing? And how would weather like rain, wind affect the conncetion?
    Q] Got a better way to do this?
    Q] Need to keep track of how much data is sent and received, and it must be different than when i'm on the university network.

Were getting our own Internet Xchange in Bahrain
    J'ai Dial up
    J'aime DSL

If you get a 4 port router, you shouldn't need a hub. The distance should be ok if you get quality cable. The 100mb/s is meaningless if you are sharing 128k dsl. In fact, if you are both online at the same time, sharing 128k is no better than dial-up. Don't know what your budget is, but you might want to think about paying the extra money for more bandwidth.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

D-link 604+ Easy to use works great....4 ports it's 50 bucks Canadian
    Cat 5 can do 100 foot run easy just make sure that when you cross any power lines do it at a right angle... And think about upgrading the line to a faster speed. you have 2 other ports see who else wants to share... And the 500MB cap you blow in a week look for 10GB or more...
    I'm not Satan ... I'm just one of his highly placed minions

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_Driver
    D-link 604+ Easy to use works great....4 ports it's 50 bucks Canadian
    Cat 5 can do 100 foot run easy just make sure that when you cross any power lines do it at a right angle... And think about upgrading the line to a faster speed. you have 2 other ports see who else wants to share... And the 500MB cap you blow in a week look for 10GB or more...
    Yeah, the 500MB thing is a major concern, especially with a shared connection. I have a 5GB cap, and after that it is $20 per gig. I have never gone past 5gb, as I don't do a great deal of downloading, but it can get close if I need new Linux distros.
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

Ditto Tekboy. The 500mb limit is way too small. I did that on the first morning I had ADSL, so I give you 3 days max. Pay more for more.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Wireless?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

We have a monopoly, not gonna be over till end of this year, when 5 new isp's will open,
    The 5gb 256k connection, is about US$ 65, no way my dad's gonna go for that, I mostly use university net for browsing, but occsaional and weekend use is at home and for that 500mb is more than enough, its US$5 per 100mb extra, so no prob about that, Wireless is too much money for too much headache, and my neighbor uses so little net that i'm practically taking advantage of him

For now its the only way to go for me.