usb2/Firewire PCMCIA card works on 1 laptop but not the other
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: usb2/Firewire PCMCIA card works on 1 laptop but not the other

usb2/Firewire PCMCIA card works on 1 laptop but not the other

specs
    - Compaq Presario 2100, XP Home edition, SP1
    - new PCMCIA USB2/Firewire combo card (no brand - think it's an Ali make)
    - Device Manager recognises PCMCIA card as O2Micro OZ6912, only other option is to change it to a "Generic" BusCard. This doesn't fix the problem.
    - Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager displays "USB Root Hub", but there is no mention of USB2 anywhere. Also references the IEEE ports in the card and ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller.

problem
    - When I insert the card, windows Plug and Play finds new hardware, but both firewire and USB 2 ports in the card don't work. However, the USB ports in the card work when I plug in my mouse (presumably it's a USB 1.1 device).
    - I have tried on another laptop (Sony VAIO), also running XP Home edition (SP1). When I plug the PCMCIA card into that laptop it recognizes the new hardware and ACTUALLY WORKS!! (tested USB2 devices and Firewire device (IPod)) It's Device Manager has the same line items under USB Controllers and IEEE Controller, but it's PCMCIA device is recognized as a Ricoh, not as a O2Micro (like on my Compaq). This I think is due to the different chipsets the brand of computers use.
    - Both computers use the same, signed device drivers, and versions. (pcmcia.sys, etc...)

resolution attempts
    - looked at other forum topics, in particular, "usb2.0 and firewire combo on laptop" where it was recommended to update USB drivers, laptop drivers, etc... Installed Ali integrate drivers (v2.05 from memory) which allows my USB2 Flash Drive to be recognised in My Computer as a "removable disk", however nothing can be copied to it, nor does it read what's on the drive.
    Is it simply a case of this combo card not being compatable with my Compaq Presario? If so, then I'll need to buy something that is(any suggestions), since I've already spent 2 days looking into this problem.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Rich

welcome to windrivers rtwaits

exactly which 2100 do you have?

I would suggest loading the chipset drivers, but they will be very different depending on what model you have.

You said you have xp sp1, have you done any other updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi and thanks for replying.

I have the Presario 2100 (AMD chip). Not sure about all the extensions of the 2100 series, however on the laptop the badging says "Presario 2100". Under the General Tab in My Computer properties it says "mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+ 1.79GHz 448MB or RAM"

Which Chipset drivers should I load - the Ali chipset drivers? If so, I have already tried this. Is there anyway of changing how my Device Manager sees the PCMCIA card. Can I actually make it say Ricoh, like the Sony VAIO does?

I downloaded the ROMPaq from Compaq's website, but wasn't able to update the BIOS with it, as I don't have a floppy disk drive, hence I couldn't make a bootable disk. I have a CD drive, is it possible to make a bootable CD disk that will update the BIOS?

Along with SP1, I have installed all of the Windows updates, even those I didn't think I needed (MovieMaker, etc...).

Thanks again!

under ide ATA/ATAPI controlllers in device manager, does it say AMD or VIA?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

In Device Manager, I have 3 items under ide ATA/ATAPI controlllers .
    - Ali M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    - Primary IDE Controller
    - Secondary IDE Controller

Under IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers:
    - OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:
    - ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub

Since installing the Ali drivers, I now have in Device Manager:
    Universal Serial Bus Controller (notice the case diff. and singular word)
    - ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    - USB 2.0 Root Hub

Thanks for your help

I have EXACTLY your problem! The only difference in setup is that I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop. The PCMCIA controller is the same though (O2Micro OZ6912), so probably the problem lies there.

I have tried everything you've tried (and more!) to no avail, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Also, if you find a solution please let me know at [email protected]

Thanks

This maybe a silly question, but have you tried forcing the Richo drivers to be used? Just because the same driver file is being used doesn't mean a whole lot. There are configuration parameters that go with that driver that may alter its functionality to perform for different devices. Are you able to identitfy the chipset used within the cardbus adapter? If so check with them for updated drivers. Have you been able to test another brand cardbus card in your pcmcia slot? Did the card come with a driver disk?

My Belkin 2 port USB2.0 PCMCIA card works perfectly (although it displayed the same behaviour before installing a chipset update from Dell - and there are no newer chipset updates at this time).

Quote Originally Posted by rtwaits
    In Device Manager, I have 3 items under ide ATA/ATAPI controlllers .
    - Ali M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    - Primary IDE Controller
    - Secondary IDE Controller

Under IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers:
    - OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Under Universal Serial Bus controllers:
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub
    - USB Root Hub

Since installing the Ali drivers, I now have in Device Manager:
    Universal Serial Bus Controller (notice the case diff. and singular word)
    - ALi PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    - USB 2.0 Root Hub

Thanks for your help
    this is the best ALI troubleshooter try the suggestions there.

Quote Originally Posted by LinusLov
    I have EXACTLY your problem! The only difference in setup is that I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop. The PCMCIA controller is the same though (O2Micro OZ6912), so probably the problem lies there.

I have tried everything you've tried (and more!) to no avail, so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Also, if you find a solution please let me know at [email protected]

Thanks
    Have you updated drivers from here? particularly the chipset drivers. There is also a bios update that may address the issue too.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Have you updated drivers from here? particularly the chipset drivers. There is also a bios update that may address the issue too.
    Yep. I have all the latest updates from that site. I guess this is an impossible-to-solve compatibility issue.

Yep. I have all the latest updates from that site. I guess this is an impossible-to-solve compatibility issue.
    You may want to try this, which just solved a similar problem for my Firewire card that worked in a Dell laptop, but not an IBM Thinkpad....

The issue was the Thinkpad Bios had a setting:

PCI Bus Power Management (stops the PCI bus clock automatically when there are no activities)

The default setting is Automatic. When I flipped this to Disabled, the BlueAngel Firewire PCMCIA card is detected automatically.

Obviously something different between the Firewire PCMCIA cards where some can and cannot handle this PCI Power setting.

Thanks,
    kidhazy.

Quote Originally Posted by kidhazy
    PCI Bus Power Management (stops the PCI bus clock automatically when there are no activities) ...
    Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately my BIOS for the Dell Inspiron 2650 doesn't have an option for PCI bus power management. IT is the least customizable BIOS I've ever seen even!

I'm wondering though if this has something to do with Dell SpeedStep, which is some kind of automatic CPU speed controller for their laptops that conserves battery by making the CPU run slower when possible.

..I'm wondering though if this has something to do with Dell SpeedStep, which is some kind of automatic CPU speed controller for their laptops that conserves battery by making the CPU run slower when possible.
    Very possible methinks, so what happens if you vary the power scheme to be always on ?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Very possible methinks, so what happens if you vary the power scheme to be always on ?
    Just tested it. No difference I'm afraid...