Unable to install new modem driver

Thread: Unable to install new modem driver

Angry Unable to install new modem driver

I have the BTC HSP Micromodem 56 (56 IPI-pctel chip).
    I wanted to install the new driver (Ver 7.66) and did the following:
    Downloaded and extracted the zipped file into a temp directory,went to the
    control panel ->System -> Device manager ->Modem properties ->Driver ->Update Driver
    then pointed to the temp folder and let windows finish the driver installation.
    ( I installed in this procedure since when I tried to use the setup.exe in the driver ,right after it says "searching for modem...." it says "setup faied!" )
    Up to here everything is fine.when I restart windows ,it won't boot but give me the message "Windows Protecion fault.You Need To Restart Your COmputer." then when i restart, windows boots but there is a mark beside the modem in the device manager.Apparantly windows couldn't load the device(the modem) the first time and won't load it again,it asks me to upgrade the driver.this is done of cource by the ASD (automatic skip driver) Agent.when I look at the ASD Agent details, this is what was written : "the reference to the problem is:
    PCI\VEN_134D&DEV_7891&SUBSYS_0001134D&REV_01\BUS_0 0&DEV_13&FUNC_00".
    changing com ports didn't help nor did plugging out my mouse which was plugged to com 01.
    there were no resource conflicts.
    I should mention that with the older driver (Ver 7.64)the modem installs smoothly and currently using Irq 3(as before the to install the new driver)
    I have the Windows 98SE ,Via Apollo Pro 133 motherboard ,Pentium 450 ,128 Mg Memory.

Please if You could help me out and solve my problem I would greatly appreciate it!!
    any more info on my computer you will need I will gladly add in the future.
    Thanks In Advace, Flame

Apparently one of two things happened.

1. You will need to download the updated driver again, The one you downloaded the first time was corrupted during download.

2. The updated driver may not be compatable with your system, in this case you should continue using the old driver, but notify the manufacturer of the problem.

[This message has been edited by RGK01 (edited March 24, 2000).]