XP registry file not compatible with 98?

Thread: XP registry file not compatible with 98?

XP registry file not compatible with 98?

Someone that bought my program says its giving an incorrect password error, and doesnt remember the password she used, I sent a registry file to reset the password but she says it gave an invalid registry script error or something like that.

I have Win XP pro and she has Win 98 SE, are the reg files not compatible between these 2 OSs? How can I make them compatible? I dont want to tell her to go change the registry herself.

Thanks

Exclamation

Seems to me as a software manufacture/vendor, you should have a test machine on every possible platform so that you can stress test these situations on your own, and also come up with support procedures that will work for your customers. Sending someone a reg file from one OS asking them to merge it with an older OS (especially XP to 98, come on man) without testing first is asking for trouble.

So in short, yes, reg files from one OS to another are typically not advised, unless the platforms have been tested and it is determined that they are in fact identical paths for the registry information to be changed.

XP and 98 registries, as per what I've been told, are quite different. I would suggest attempting what Ya-know said... when I develop software or websites I have multiple OS environments to see what they need to work properly...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I know they are in the identical path, I just never had a user forget a password before, I guess I'll have to compile an exe to reset the password and/or add a "Forgot your password?" feature in the nest version.

Maybe the file just got corrupted on the way.

Thanks

The windows 98 registry files look like this:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\5.0\AdobeViewer]
    "TrustedMode"=dword:00000000
    "EULA"=dword:00000001
    Win2k / XP Looks like this:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\5.0\AdobeViewer]
    "TrustedMode"=dword:00000000
    "EULA"=dword:00000001
    In Windows 9x, it uses the "REGEDIT4" as a validator. If that string is not present, it will not import the file. Win2k/XP are backwards compatible, able to load registry keys from Win9x, but don't abuse this feature - use the correct registry whenever possible. The problem that you are encountering is probably a result of sending a 9x machine a key from a Win2lk/XP machine - the header is different, and so Win9x rejects it as invalid.

I would suggest either getting a "farm" of computers (different makes / models / operating systems) to use for testing purposes. Barring this, get one PC and set it up with Win95, then make a Ghost image of that, wipe it out, set up with Win98, Me, 2k, XP, etc. If done correctly, you will be able to "reimage" that machine with the OS of choice for testing purposes. This is easier to store than half a dozen PCs.

Thanks, I ended up writting a small program to do it.