no sound error 80040256

Thread: no sound error 80040256

error 80040256, no sound hardware problem

i can play the cd player and have sound. trying to play anything else with sound and i get a message stating that i have a sound hardware problem and get error code 80040256. followed the procedure listed and still get no sound. clicking on the mutimedia icon, clicking on the audio tab, everything is grayed out. driver is enabled and active but i get no sounds except with cd player. have reloaded windows 98 second edition several times, have ran norton win dr no problems noted. ran out of ideas and have tried working with microsoft and they have done all they have knowledge of. no help, no sound, need help.

Welcome to WD rayronvara .

Tell us what SoundCard and MotherBoard you have ?

Have you looked under DeviceManager to see if soundCard shows up or anything Windows might be having problem with ?
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

no sound error 80040256

not sure on the mother board information but the op system is windows 98 2nd edition and the sound card driver is yamaha opl3-sax wdm. tried using the dxdiag and the sound does not play with wave or midi. on the multimedia icon the audio tab is all gray and there is no volume icon on task bar. nothing happens when i double click to open the sound megaphone icon. i have reloaded the win 98 cd and reloaded it. i have replaced the sound card with same type from similar machine still no sound. i have tried working with the microsoft folks and all the trouble shooting procedures they have had me do still no sound. the learning games of the kids you see images mouths move but no sound is coming out. all indications are that the sound driver is loaded active and enabled there just is no sound except for the cd player. what do i do? would replaceing

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    Welcome to WD rayronvara .

Tell us what SoundCard and MotherBoard you have ?

Have you looked under DeviceManager to see if soundCard shows up or anything Windows might be having problem with ?
    sound card is a yamaha opl3-sax wdm not sure on the mother board. all indications are that everything is active and enabled. the audio tab is grayed and i can not select anything.

Aha, the old windows 98se wdm driver problem... you need to use the 95/98 driver which is the vxd type. 98se is supposed to use wdm drivers properly, but with sound often gets lost and confused. The 95/98 drivers work much better.

Uninstall the wdm drivers in SAFE mode in device manager. Check that there is no other installation for sound showing in add/remove programs - if there is remove it. Reboot to normal mode and install the vxd version.

Do you have the driver cd to hand? if not the reference drivers are here
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Please use the post reply button and not the new thread button to answer any questions in the thread you started ray.

Threads merged.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."