Reset supervisor password for IBM Thinkpad 570...

Thread: Reset supervisor password for IBM Thinkpad 570...

Reset supervisor password for IBM Thinkpad 570...

OK, I got a free IBM Thinkpad 570, with one condition: I can't power it on!!

It prompts me for a password when I go into the BIOS and when I try to start it. I have no idea if it has a disk password, but if it does, its not a big deal, as I can always swap the disk.

Can anyone recommend how to get rid of the password? Is there a CMOS battery located on the motherboard or something?

Any and all help is appreciated. I like free stuff

There is a great site here that will help you.

All thinkpad hardware maintenance manuals are located here.

Download the one for your model, go to page 23 and that should help!
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Just noticed that there is a sticky at the top of the Laptop area, links to the same place I just mentioned above, didn't want to be accused of thieving
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

IBM supervisor password? or the hdd security pw? Either way, its an ibm job.

swapping the hdd won't help
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Isnt there always a small battery that allows the mb to store the password, and if u remove it, it resets the password?

It's the IBM supervisor password...I tried the method to clear the power on password, didnt work...

Looks like I'll chalk this one up as a loss wonder if the HDD is still good though.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Well, if you got it free, and don't mind, send it to IBM and they will reset it for you. As long as it's not reported stolen to IBM, they will help you out.

You know, explain how you got it for free, and the person that gave it to you, well, he forgot the password. This happens all the time.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    Well, if you got it free, and don't mind, send it to IBM and they will reset it for you. As long as it's not reported stolen to IBM, they will help you out.

You know, explain how you got it for free, and the person that gave it to you, well, he forgot the password. This happens all the time.

Let us know how it turns out.
    I can assure you this laptop is not stolen, at least not that I know of one of my friends dug it up in his closet and could never get the PW lock out so he said if I can fix it it's mine...so here I am

I will give IBM a call, but wouldn't they charge a high amount for something like that? Chances are what they charge will not even be worth it (new ones are on eBay for about $200 and have working hard disks and UltraBases, this laptop has neither). But I will give them a call anyway...

oh and wb jungleman!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    oh and wb jungleman!
    That's what I was thinking too NooNoo. Long time no see JM, where have you been hiding?!

emr

Hehe thanks guys I've been hiding over at PC Perspective mostly, and working hard on my hardware review site (listed in sig).

Good to see a few familiar faces, I will drop in from time to time. I know I can always find a big bunch of experts here

Hmm, would buying a new system board work? I see a few on eBay going for $15, obviously they are specifically for this laptop...I am guessing the EEPROM which contains the supervisor password is stored on the old board, so a new board would work, no?

I'd probably need a new HDD as well...I tested the old one last night by putting it in my Vantec NexStar, and all it does is click but $40 to fix up a laptop is not a big deal

I'll try calling IBM first though, as swapping the mobo out of a laptop is a bit troublesome

oops, and...

!BIOS - PC BIOS Security and Maintanance toolkit
    http://www.11a.nu/page.php?27