Sideways display
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sideways display

Sideways display

This is one I've never seen before !!!

Customer dropped a file folder which fell catty-corner on the keyboard. As a result the whole display is now turned sideways. She has turned the machine off and back on, switched monitors and still no help. A search of the database points to monitor yoke problems but this is not the case. Has anyone seen this happen before?? She is now working with monitor sideways. Slightly elongated screen display but no other apparent problems.

Machine - Hewlett Packard Pentium IV 2.0 processor, 2.0g memory.

If it's an lcd or tft display, many of them are meant to be able to be rotated. the controls are usually on either the monitor or, like a lot of Samsungs, in the setup utility on the computer.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Work go around found!!

Both monitors used on the system are old and ancient, but a system restore restored the display settings back to original.

I am just curious now to see what caused this to happen, and what can be done to solve it in the future, short of having to do another system restore (Thank God for that one!!

The user's reply reminded me of our five year old when she returned from swimming lessons and proudy told my wife:

Mom, I swan underwater today!!!! When asked how she did it? she promptly replied...........

It just happened!!

Thanks

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar
    If it happened after a file folder fell on the keyboard, my bet is that there is a key combo you have to press to do it. Pretty neat trick if you can figure out which keys are the magic ones.
    WWBRD?

Quote Originally Posted by imaeditedbysowulo
    If it happened after a file folder fell on the keyboard, my bet is that there is a key combo you have to press to do it. Pretty neat trick if you can figure out which keys are the magic ones.
    If I was going to look anywhere, it would have to be either the accessibility options, or perhaps a feature in the video card driver...like in the ATI tray or something along those lines...but yes a key combo to a natural command has to be the culprit. My cat actually knows how to hit del and enter simultaneously. He's even figured out where the shift key is and when to use it...the rotten bastard!

I've seen that before, where the setting was I don't know, but ATI hotkey stuff can initiate bizzare stuff like that...
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; July 2nd, 2004 at 04:08 PM.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

If all else fails,.. you could always turn the monitor on it's side I guess.
    Hello World

Smile

geeksRus, thanks for your reply!!! I guess this lady's folders just happened to hit the right combination when it fell on her keyboard. And, i missed your previous post otherwise i would have remembered it. its a nice joke to play on someone who leaves his desk only to return his display turned upside down.

andiol

what OS those she use?

Sideways Display

Quote Originally Posted by andiol
    This is one I've never seen before !!!

Customer dropped a file folder which fell catty-corner on the keyboard. As a result the whole display is now turned sideways. She has turned the machine off and back on, switched monitors and still no help. A search of the database points to monitor yoke problems but this is not the case. Has anyone seen this happen before?? She is now working with monitor sideways. Slightly elongated screen display but no other apparent problems.

Machine - Hewlett Packard Pentium IV 2.0 processor, 2.0g memory.
    If it is an XP OS, if you press down the ctrl and Alt key simutaneously and hit any directional arrow, the screen will go black and then display in that position.

Quote Originally Posted by crasher
    If it is an XP OS, if you press down the ctrl and Alt key simutaneously and hit any directional arrow, the screen will go black and then display in that position.
    Didn't work here . XP-pro
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    Didn't work here . XP-pro
    Hmm, you can disable the hotkeys from MSCONFIG. Are hkcmd and igfxtray enabled in your startup?

Quote Originally Posted by crasher
    Hmm, you can disable the hotkeys from MSCONFIG. Are hkcmd and igfxtray enabled in your startup?
    Those are Intel programs, not a part of Microsoft Windows.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    What a coincidence. Yesterday someone brought in a computer that had the screen upside down. The mouse also was reversed so it was hard to use. I quickly made a new user (XP). Same thing. I figured it was somewhere in the video controls but it was so hard to navigate I just uninstalled the video card software and reinstalled. It came back normal. Then when I could see what I was doing I saw where it was that you controlled that. She had intel 845 graphics and there is a rotation setting in the software.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush