Help with an external dvd burner please

Thread: Help with an external dvd burner please

Help with an external dvd burner please

I sure am glad I found this board. The other week I got an external dvd burner. I'm pretty sure I have it hooked up right since there is a new drive on my computer and it reads the dvds from the burner itself. Now the requirements didn't say I had to have a dvd rom which I don't. But my new drive from the dvd burner is recognized on my computer and it reads dvds. But my main drive D doesn't read dvds. I'm using a compaq computer 5020 and windows me. The burner software I have is nero. Dvd burner name is rainbow storage. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 4th, 2004 at 02:26 PM.

Welcome to Windrivers Angie. I removed your email to prevent you being signed up for spam.

I read your post 3 times and I am unable to see what your question is... could you clarify?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks NooNoo,

I guess what I am asking is how do I get my main drive to read dvds. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Angie. I removed your email to prevent you being signed up for spam.

I read your post 3 times and I am unable to see what your question is... could you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Angie21_m
    Thanks NooNoo,

I guess what I am asking is how do I get my main drive to read dvds. Thanks.
    "But my main drive D doesn't read dvds"

what is your 'main' drive ? (CD-rom,DVD-rom,HardDrive)?

edit
    Do you mean Play something thats on your harddrive ?
    Last edited by GrandDad; July 4th, 2004 at 11:31 PM.
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

My main drive is a regular drive. It plays cds but it doesn't play or read dvds.
    I"m hoping I don't need a dvd rom but my new drive from the dvd burner reads dvds. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandDad
    "But my main drive D doesn't read dvds"

what is your 'main' drive ? (CD-rom,DVD-rom,HardDrive)?

edit
    Do you mean Play something thats on your harddrive ?

a CD drive reads CDS
    A DVD drive reads DVDs and CDs
    A DVD burner reads and writes DVDs and CDs

Unless we know what model cd/dvd drive your D drive is, we cannot help further.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I just had an idea. Using nero how do I make a date dvd or whatever you call it. Since my dvd burner can read dvds. After I select to make a date dvd
    and create a folder and copy and paste files. Do I save the folder and then take the dvd out that I transfered it to the folder and put a blank dvd in the dvd burner. Thanks.

Oh yeah and the cd part of the dvd burner works fine. It is dual does both cds and dvds. Thanks.

My main drive is a regular drive. It plays cds but it doesn't play or read dvds.
    I"m hoping I don't need a dvd rom but my new drive from the dvd burner reads dvds. Thanks.
    and
    "I guess what I am asking is how do I get my main drive to read dvds. Thanks.
    1. a CD-rom will not read a DVD-disk of any kind
    2.you only need a second DVD-rom unless you are trying to straight across copy a DVD-disk
    "you can Log out - but you can never leave" : DMO
    What part of WOOF don't you understand ? Wolf
    -----------------------------------
    (Sergeant) Private Military Strategy Consultant
    FormatAndReload.com

A date dvd????

Oh yeah and the cd part of the dvd burner works fine. It is dual does both cds and dvds. Thanks.
    I think Ange21_m has a CD-ROM drive and a DVD Burner.

Unfortunately, as everyone knows, a CD-ROM drive will not read DVD's, and so, although you may be able to copy CD's using both drives, to copy DVD's, you either, (1) buy a new DVD-ROM drive, or (2) you may use a DVD copying software that allows you to first, place the original DVD for copying to the harddisk, then swap a DVD-R (recordable) for copying.

I use Roxio 6.0. I'm not familiar with Nero, but it will probably support this feature as well.

Thanks mib

That's exactly what I have and what my problem is. But the requirements didn't say I needed a dvd rom. Is Roxio a freeware? Maybe I can start a new thread for those familar with nero. It has a copy function like you mentioned below. I just got to figure out how to do it since I can't do dvd to dvd. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mib
    I think Ange21_m has a CD-ROM drive and a DVD Burner.

Unfortunately, as everyone knows, a CD-ROM drive will not read DVD's, and so, although you may be able to copy CD's using both drives, to copy DVD's, you either, (1) buy a new DVD-ROM drive, or (2) you may use a DVD copying software that allows you to first, place the original DVD for copying to the harddisk, then swap a DVD-R (recordable) for copying.

I use Roxio 6.0. I'm not familiar with Nero, but it will probably support this feature as well.

Thanks mib

That's exactly what I have and what my problem is. But the requirements didn't say I needed a dvd rom. Is Roxio a freeware? Maybe I can start a new thread for those familar with nero. It has a copy function like you mentioned below. I just got to figure out how to do it since I can't do dvd to dvd. Thanks so much.
    You're welcome.

Unfortunately, Roxio is not freeware. I got mine with my DVD-Burner, but if you must get it separately, you have to pay for it.

Nevertheless, just to give you an idea how it should work, with the Roxio Disk Copier, I get an option for Source and Destination. For copying CD's, you can set up your main drive as the Source, and the DVD Burner as the Destination.

For DVD's, you have to setup the DVD Burner as both Source and Destination. What happens next is as follows:

1. The system will ask you to insert the DVD to copy.
    2. Your entire DVD will be copied to the hard disk.
    3. The system will ask you to insert your blank DVD.

And, voila, everything done.

You might want to check your free hard disk space, though, before starting. I think you will require from 4GB to 6GB of free space for this to work.

Good luck.