Booting from a CGA adaptor in a ISA slot - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Booting from a CGA adaptor in a ISA slot

Look in the BIOS setup under "Standard CMOS Setup" Change the "Video" to CGA 40 or 80.
    From the GITOX3 Manual :
    Video
    This category selects the type of video adapter used for the primary
    system monitor. Although secondary monitors are supported, you
    do not have to select the type in Setup. The default setting is EGA/
    VGA (BIOS default, Setup default).
    EGA/VGA Enhanced Graphics Adapter/Video Graphics Array. For
    EGA, VGA, SVGA and PGA monitor adapters.
    CGA 40 Color Graphics Adapter. Power up in 40-column
    mode.
    CGA 80 Color Graphics Adapter. Power up in 80-column
    mode.
    Mono Monochrome adapter. Includes high resolution
    monochrome adapters.
    There is also a BIOS update if you need it:
    http://www.itox.com/pages/support/download.php

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    What I meant was that when I used the search string "ion implanter software" on Google, a lot of entries were returned.

When I talk about software for some machine it’s the same as talking about software for the electronic fuel injection of a car.
    You ever tried to run a car with a 6 cylinder motor with the software of a 8 cylinder motor?
    It won’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vip2
    Look in the BIOS setup under "Standard CMOS Setup" Change the "Video" to CGA 40 or 80.
    From the GITOX3 Manual :

There is also a BIOS update if you need it:
    http://www.itox.com/pages/support/download.php

The system isn’t aware of the cga card and therefore it cant use it.

The people from ITOX are also looking at this problem but haven’t found an answer yet

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Peters
    When I talk about software for some machine it’s the same as talking about software for the electronic fuel injection of a car.
    You ever tried to run a car with a 6 cylinder motor with the software of a 8 cylinder motor?
    It won’t work.
    OK...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    OK...
    But I appreciate al the response from everybody.
    It assures me that I haven’t overlooked something.
    So thanks a lot.

Willie Peters,
    I guess you were lucky, because I couldn't get CGA card running even on an old Pentium1 motherboards years back...

I guess, it is somehow related with BIOS (BIOS should be CGA-compatible, like AMIBIOS dated 1988-1994 years). These AMIBIOSes were having special settings for CGA adapters... Besides, I found also it was somehow related with CGA VideoMemory access time... video cards with slower memory chips couldn't work even with 486SX motherboards... I had to replace those chips with faster ones to make them working stable...

What's about the software? As I can guess, it is DOS-based software... Because the last Windows OS supporting CGA adapters was Win3.1...
    Even Win3.11 already did not support them anymore...
    If so, why you needed faster motherboard? As it was already suggested, you can find an old 486 motherboard or complete system for free (or almost for free)...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan
    Willie Peters,
    I guess you were lucky, because I couldn't get CGA card running even on an old Pentium1 motherboards years back...

I guess, it is somehow related with BIOS (BIOS should be CGA-compatible, like AMIBIOS dated 1988-1994 years). These AMIBIOSes were having special settings for CGA adapters... Besides, I found also it was somehow related with CGA VideoMemory access time... video cards with slower memory chips couldn't work even with 486SX motherboards... I had to replace those chips with faster ones to make them working stable...

What's about the software? As I can guess, it is DOS-based software... Because the last Windows OS supporting CGA adapters was Win3.1...
    Even Win3.11 already did not support them anymore...
    If so, why you needed faster motherboard? As it was already suggested, you can find an old 486 motherboard or complete system for free (or almost for free)...

The old P1 is the original controller provided by the vendor of the equipment.
    The more info I get, the more I get the feeling that the provider of the equipment made a special bios for them.
    I need a faster PC because the upgrade of the controller software requires it.
    And the software wants to see the PG-641/1281 which is an ISA card so I need a PIII with 4 ISA slots.
    The other cards are also ISA.
    The suggestion booting with vga and letting the software find the card to use the graphics is also not working.
    It cant find the card. Not even with the utils MATROX provides on there internet site.
    BTW. The PG-641/1281 should work under win3.11. There is a driver on the ftp site of MATROX.

Maybe the people from ITOX come up with an answer.

Thanks for the time You put in to this quest.

E-bay?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Peters
    BTW. The PG-641/1281 should work under win3.11. There is a driver on the ftp site of MATROX.
    Officially Win311 does not support CGA adapters (that message appears if you're trying to install driver), but it is still possible to use driver from Win3.1 .

Are you sure what only problem is with that CGA adapter? May be the software is actually looking for specific MB BIOS? Then any upgrade may be useless...
    Did you try another motherboard?
    Or to upgrade CPU and/or memory in your old system? What kind of upgrade is actually required? Just only CPU speed or something else?

A similar problem.
    I can not start this board, but my native one does not work.
    Can anyone have a solution?