Anyone know what this connector is?

Thread: Anyone know what this connector is?

Anyone know what this connector is?

Hey all, I've run into a bit of a problem upgrading an old Gateway machine. It was a G6-400 model. The video card has some kind of early DVI plug for an LCD screen. The customer bought it about 5 years ago, so I'm sure that was before the DVI standard became popular. Does anyone know what this connector is called, or where/if I can get an adapter to convert the LCD screen to a VGA or DVI connector?

Thanks.

That's an early model LCD connector that died pretty quickly...DVI came in and replaced it. You could probably still find some LCD's that use it, but they are gonna be old and obviously obsolete. As far as I know, there is no known DVI adapter for it, so you are pretty much S.O.L. You best bet would be just to junk it and get a cheap-o Radeon card with a DVI...seen em at CompUSA for like $50 this weekend. Good luck!

I already got him a new vid card, the problem is that he wants to keep his old LCD screen since he paid like $1000 for it 5 years ago. Go figure.

Maybe it'll be possible to keep this vid card and put it in a newer motherboard. It is an AGP card, but it's keyed with the slot towards the front of the card whereas all the recent MBs I've seen are keyed towards the back of the slot. Anyone know what's up with that?

What would I need to look for in a new motherboard to make sure that his old vid card will work??

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Milenko
    I already got him a new vid card, the problem is that he wants to keep his old LCD screen since he paid like $1000 for it 5 years ago. Go figure.

Maybe it'll be possible to keep this vid card and put it in a newer motherboard. It is an AGP card, but it's keyed with the slot towards the front of the card whereas all the recent MBs I've seen are keyed towards the back of the slot. Anyone know what's up with that?

What would I need to look for in a new motherboard to make sure that his old vid card will work??

Thanks again.
    They changed voltages in the AGP slot.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Hi Milenko!

Long time no see.

AGP card standards here for you: http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

That's a DFP connector, BTW. Digital only.

DFP to DVI adapters are available, like from this place, for about 45$

Pinouts here: http://www.mycableshop.com/techarticles/DFP.htm - if you want to build your own.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Thanks for the info adept. Thanks exactly what I was looking for.

The cables you have linked there won't work for me since they are all male. I need to be able to plug a DFP monitor (which is male) into a DVI vid card (female). So I need a female DFP to male DVI.

I think I'm going to try to get a motherboard that I can plug his old vid card into. His old card is an ATI Rage 3D. According to that site you linked, it's a 3.3V AGP card. Makes sense since it's prolly a first gen. I found this board on Newegg which looks to have a universal AGP slot. That _should_ work, right?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Hi Milenko!

Long time no see.
    Yeah, been awhile since I posted here. I pop in and lurke around every now and then. Still the best place to get a question answered, that's for sure.

Glad to see you're still up and about.

As for the voltage issue - I haven't a clue and can't check it out now because I'm posting this from my BlackBerry.

I had assumed the same thing about the universal slot.