PC wont boot/Black screen

Thread: PC wont boot/Black screen

PC wont boot/Black screen

I'm not sure what this is related to. A Packard Bell 850 rev. B I go to start , ,no beeps , the floppy drive light stays on . All there is , is a Black screen. NOTHING on it .What Gives ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tercr6
    I'm not sure what this is related to. A Packard Bell 850 rev. B I go to start , ,no beeps , the floppy drive light stays on . All there is , is a Black screen. NOTHING on it .What Gives ?
    Welcome to WnDrivers Tercr6. Possible cause are bad ram, bad video card.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Quote Originally Posted by jitBob
    Welcome to WnDrivers Tercr6. Possible cause are bad ram, bad video card.
    It has onboard video. there are 4 ram sticks in it. Shouldn't at least come up with the bios screen ?

floppy light stays on? someone been fishing in the case? The drive cable is on backwards - that can prevent booting on cheap motherboards.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    floppy light stays on? someone been fishing in the case? The drive cable is on backwards - that can prevent booting on cheap motherboards.
    I imagine someone was fishing around as the hard drive cdrom and what appears to be a ribbon is missing. I loaded it up with some parts, a loaded hard drive, tryed hooking it up every wich way and no bios nothing , even remove the batt. and put it back in . By specs one cpu it takes is M11 300 cpu .

Heck if I know about motherbords I'm not advanced. The 4 sticks of ram appear to be oprig. I removed and reinstalled.

I don't see a spkr however . if that makes a difference .

I'm just fiddling with it and trying to learn. Maybe it's shot .

so anything could have happened by now.

may I suggest a tutorial?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

so anything could have happened by now.

may I suggest a tutorial?
    Thanks for the Link, I'm checking it out now .

Quote Originally Posted by Tercr6
    Thanks for the Link, I'm checking it out now .
    Ok maybe you can help now . I accualy threw this thing out, but I recalled switching CPUs in a diff PC and got a bios , SOOOO being the ADM CPU being in another PB PC I decided to try The ADM K6 400/2 from the model L1100 in the model 850.
    There was a beep and the bbios appeared.
    Now I got a loaded hard drive from the L1100 PB hooked up, the floppy drive ( ( one ribbon from the mother board to the floppy - same size ). There are 2 remaning slots for ribbons , same size for hard driv and CDrom. I have tryed swithching them back and forth. one white - one black slot on MB.

Here is what I'm getting: 1 beep , floppy fail ( 40), num lock light on keyboard stays on, and a P_ ( blinking in upper left corner of screen.

Any Ideas , fixes ?

Floppy controller has died, or the cable is on backwards. Red stripe to pin 1 on both the floppy and the motherboard floppy port, with the "twist" nearest the floppy.

Same for the hard drive/cdroms - red stripe to pin 1 on both ends.

Floppy controller has died, or the cable is on backwards. Red stripe to pin 1 on both the floppy and the motherboard floppy port, with the "twist" nearest the floppy.

Same for the hard drive/cdroms - red stripe to pin 1 on both ends.
    Ok got the flppy fail out. Don't know what happened but its gone. I think the cable connection to the ribbon to the port was lose.

So now I have
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/850.htm Rev B S T & U

Only can hook up one way with connections so they can't be wrong.

Bios recognises HD, cdrom as secondary master or slave, No cdrom light on start - but drawer opens, Drive B set to none, still getting P_ blinking in upper left corner . Someone mention C mos jumpers. I'm not advanced and know nothing about setting them. I'm stuck I guess.

OK the cmos jumper in your pic is either X or W - with the power off, you move the jumper over so that the third pin and middle pins are covered.... leave it there for a bout 10 seconds and then put it back in the original position.

Now power up.

Not all cdroms light when the machine boots, but most do. You must consider that the cdrom electronics have fried.

OK the cmos jumper in your pic is either X or W - with the power off, you move the jumper over so that the third pin and middle pins are covered.... leave it there for a bout 10 seconds and then put it back in the original position.

Now power up.

Not all cdroms light when the machine boots, but most do. You must consider that the cdrom electronics have fried.
    Reset the C Mos from 1-2 to 2-3 for 20 secs. reconnected every thing.

Still A P_ blinking. It will recognize the HD and cd-rom. If I disconnect the floppy ribbon ,the light on the cdrom will come on , other wise if everything is connected only the floppy light comes on. It will not load a boot Floppy , on start up.

try the simple

I have had the same problem when I added a mod to my case, just make sure all the **** is plugged in all the way if you messed with it, took me along time to find out I miss a plug

OK, sounds like your floppy controller or the cable has died.