why my setting printer is different for every user?

Thread: why my setting printer is different for every user?

Question why my setting printer is different for every user?

hi all...

i want to ask about setting printer.
    i'm using windows xp pro.
    and there are 2 account in my computer, owner (admin account) and guest (limited account).
    after installing my printer- canon bjc3000- i set the properties (from 'printer and fax' control) to 'A4' paper (all of them,whether in general tab or in advanced tab).

i'm using ms. word in guest account, when i want to print the paper loading is always set to 'letter', it doesn't follow the setup in owner account and when i'm using ms. word in owner account it follows exactly like in printer setting.
    my question is why? why is that so? why the setting in ms. word in guest account doesn't follow the owner account?????
    something i have to do with it???

please i need some enlightment here...

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by poolypoo
    hi all...

i want to ask about setting printer.
    i'm using windows xp pro.
    and there are 2 account in my computer, owner (admin account) and guest (limited account).
    after installing my printer- canon bjc3000- i set the properties (from 'printer and fax' control) to 'A4' paper (all of them,whether in general tab or in advanced tab).

i'm using ms. word in guest account, when i want to print the paper loading is always set to 'letter', it doesn't follow the setup in owner account and when i'm using ms. word in owner account it follows exactly like in printer setting.
    my question is why? why is that so? why the setting in ms. word in guest account doesn't follow the owner account?????
    something i have to do with it???

please i need some enlightment here...

thanks in advance
    Windows is designed with User Profiles, that is, all users have their own settings for My Documents, Email, Internet, printer settings, etc. You may see these individual settings in C:\Documents and Settings. Due to this, it is possible for different users to use a single PC and retain his or her preferred settings.

To address your question, you have to configure the printer settings individually for each user. There are probably some software out there that will allow you to make the settings global, but it's probably not required for something as simple as the problem you're describing.

I think there might be a default setting in word. Just checked on word. If you goto page setup and set to A4, then select default, that will store A$ as your default paper.

Mick
    Last edited by Raffaz; July 11th, 2004 at 11:39 AM.

Raffaz, it will, but ONLY for that user!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."