DVD icon changes to Cd icon when a blank DVD disk inserted

Thread: DVD icon changes to Cd icon when a blank DVD disk inserted

DVD icon changes to Cd icon when a blank DVD disk inserted

I have recently purchased a Lite-on LDW-401s DVD burner, when I place a blank DVD into the drive the drive icon changes from DVD/RW to CD: When going into properties 0 bytes of free space and 0 bytes of used space is available. I have tried both DVD +R and DVD-R disks and the problem is the same. I have reinstalled the drivers that came with the unit, upgraded my bios and downloaded the latest firmware (I think?). I have a Celeron 800 and am using Windows XP.
    Can anybody please help?

Welcome to windrivers Kruptos. What DVD burning software are you using?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonsmith
    Welcome to windrivers Kruptos. What DVD burning software are you using?
    Thanks for replying hudsonsmith,

Sonic My DVD and Cyberlink PowerDVD came bundled with the unit, and I have put Instant copy and Alcohol 120% on.

I am able to burn blank cd disks using Alcohol 120%, although previously I used and liked an old version of Nero which no longer works with this player (now removed)

I have just removed both instant copy and 120% and must restart PC, also have to get to work so, I will have to look at it when I get home.

If this works (or not) can you recomend any other burning tools that are relatively easy to use?
    Many thanks

www.nero.com Time limited trial, but excellent
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Thanks NooNoo will give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Have downloaded the trila version of nero and it wont recognise the drive?
    Had a play with it and was unable to do much, looks like a pretty complex program? I'll see if I can get the dvd working first and then have a play. Used to like nero prior to dvd burner, any more suggestions would be helpful
    thanks

Use the nero info tool - in download utilities (if it wasn't bundled with the trial)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Anyone find a fix for this? My pioneer just started doing this.
    I was using Nero 6, DVDClone etc... was working before then suddenly stopped... I upgraded firmware/drivers etc... uninstalled... removed power from dvd-rw drive then reinstalled... still same problem...

reply by email/post if you have a suggestion.

Thanks

Welcome to Windrivers nehpets2k

A few questions to answer for you.

Does the drive read shop bought dvds?
    How about dvds you previously burned?
    When it suddenly stopped, was this using the same brand and specification of blanks as before or did you change brand?

What windows are you using and finally what model of pioneer drive please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kruptos
    I have recently purchased a Lite-on LDW-401s DVD burner, when I place a blank DVD into the drive the drive icon changes from DVD/RW to CD: When going into properties 0 bytes of free space and 0 bytes of used space is available. I have tried both DVD +R and DVD-R disks and the problem is the same. I have reinstalled the drivers that came with the unit, upgraded my bios and downloaded the latest firmware (I think?). I have a Celeron 800 and am using Windows XP.
    Can anybody please help?
    Ok, I had the same problem after doing a Windows XP update. My DVD drive would change and say cd drive when I put a blank disk in. After a couple hours searching the net I came up with setting the Secondary IDE Channel from DMA to PIO. Go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager/IDE-ATA/ADAPTI Controllers /Secondary IDE Channel. Right click on Secondary IDE Channel then Properties.

This worked and I could burn a blank disk. The problem is the newly burned DVD would play in my Computer, but not in my stand alone tv unit. I am using the same programs and pack of blank DVD's that worked last week!! After spending 4 or more hours searching the net and seeing that lot's of people are starting to have this problem I believe the problem is with one of the windows updates.

I did a rollback to before I ran the last batch of windows updates (about a week ago). This still did not fix the playing DVD's on my TV unit problem.

I noticed that some of the Updates and Hotfixes didn't disappear with the roll back! I started uninstalling the latest few updates with the add/remove programs list. There was one I was suspious of, Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) [See KB810243 for more information]. I am not sure if this was the problem, but since I removed about 5 of the last updates my burner works fine and I can play the newly burned DVD's in my TV unit! And I went back to check the DMA / PIO setting and it had reverted back to the DMA setting and still recognizes my blank DVD's!
    Last edited by enternewid; August 23rd, 2004 at 11:50 AM.

So which 5 hotfixes did you uninstall?

kb810243 is a fix for media centre edition - do you use that?