Outlook Express Not Checking Mail

Thread: Outlook Express Not Checking Mail

Outlook Express Not Checking Mail

Customers laptop running XP Home, IE & OE6. Outlook Express is configured correctly and internet connection works fine.

But

When you click on "Send/Receive" the send/receive box flashes up for a fraction of a second and then disappears. The program is not checking with the mail servers.There is no error message. Its like OE thinks it has checked for messages when it hasn't.

Just to test I created a fake email account with a POP3 server of 123xyz and Outlook Express does exactly the same - there is no error message saying unable to contact pop3 server. As far as OE is concerned it has checked the mail and there are no new messages.

I have tried deleting & reconfiguring mail accounts, disabled all background apps and re-installed OE - and I am now running out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

If you have multiple accounts, you should be able to click on the side drop-down menu of that Send/Receive button. Click on one at a time. When the Connected to... windows crops up, click on Details and then click on that thumbtack in the lower right corner for the window to remain open. Try all accounts with the window open.

Go to Tools/Accounts. Is the correct Default account selected? Is it set for Any Available connection or specific? How do you connect...via modem or network? You say Internet Explorer itself works fine otherwise?

Can you send a test email back to yourself? Does it ever go out? Is it listed in your Outbox?

Just a couple of suggestions. Let us know how it goes.

Selecteing an individual account makes no difference - same thing happens.

The "Connecting..Authorizing" process you would usually expect doesn't happen, the box just flashes up and then disapperas, way too fast to click on anything.

I have just tried sending an email and it comes up with an error message "Unable to send mail. An error ocurred". Well at least I have an error message to go on now.

Cheers

Ok, have looked up that error and it appears that this problem is caused by corrupt .dbx files.

I took a backup of the .dbx files then deleted them and it is now sending and receiving fine!

Thanks DonJ