Outlook 2003 looses connection to exchange server

Thread: Outlook 2003 looses connection to exchange server

Outlook 2003 looses connection to exchange server

I have 30 clients on a win2000 server with exchange. All but two of the clients are running office 2000. The two new computers are running Office 2003. The Outlook 2003 clients get disconnected from the exchange server several times through the day. They don't loose file access or printer access or internet access just exchange. They connect fine to the exchange but after awhile an outlook login box pops up with their user name asking for their password. Once thay type in the password and hit okay Outlook will reconect to the exchange server. How do I get this to stop?
    Last edited by dcherry; July 8th, 2004 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcherry
    I have 30 clients on a win2000 server with exchange. All but two of the clients are running office 2000. The two new computers are running Office 2003. The Outlook 2003 clients get disconnected from the exchange server several times through the day. They don't loose file access or printer access or internet access just exchange. They connect fine to the exchange but after awhile an outlook login box pops up with their user name asking for their password. Once thay type in the password and hit okay Outlook will reconect to the exchange server. How do I get this to stop?
    Check your Outlook 2003 settings, under Tools-Email Accounts. Upon clicking Change, you will get the Exchange Server Settings. Select the More Settings... button, then go to Security tab. See if the check box for "Always prompt for user name and password" is ticked. If it is, remove it.

If it were only that simple. I have checked all the mail settings in OutLook2003. It is not a user setting causing this. I have even wiped the computer and reinstalled the OS and MS office.

Quote Originally Posted by mib
    Check your Outlook 2003 settings, under Tools-Email Accounts. Upon clicking Change, you will get the Exchange Server Settings. Select the More Settings... button, then go to Security tab. See if the check box for "Always prompt for user name and password" is ticked. If it is, remove it.

If it were only that simple. I have checked all the mail settings in OutLook2003. It is not a user setting causing this. I have even wiped the computer and reinstalled the OS and MS office.
    I'm sorry, dcherry, but I'm not too familiar with the Exchange Server settings. By the way, which version are you using? Exchange 2000 or 2003?

We have Exchange 2003 in the company, and I will see if I can simulate your condition.

In the meantime, it's best we wait for someone else who's more familiar with Exchange.

No reason to be sorry I appreciate the help. The server is windows 2000. I have added another computer to the network this week and it too has Office 2003 and it is doing the same thing after about 20 minutes Outlook 2003 pops up and ask for a password for the exchange account. The user enters the password and all is fine for maybe 20 to 30 minutes and then it pops up again.

Quote Originally Posted by mib
    I'm sorry, dcherry, but I'm not too familiar with the Exchange Server settings. By the way, which version are you using? Exchange 2000 or 2003?

We have Exchange 2003 in the company, and I will see if I can simulate your condition.

In the meantime, it's best we wait for someone else who's more familiar with Exchange.

I am running a Win2003 network with Xppro and exchange 2003 and office 2003, i am having the same problem, we get several dropouts a day and no microsoft explanation. Just "exchange is trying to connect", our network engineers say there is nothing wrong with the network, it must be a client issue. I rebuilt a client from the ground up and have the same problem. There seems to be no resolution anywhere accross the internet.

Have either of you raised an incident with microsoft?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

try checking..

Double check at the server (IIS) if there isn't any yellow explanation points. Stop and then restart the IIS. See if that helps. Also double check the event viewer to see if there is a problem at the server end.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

When you setup the users mailbox did you leave the selection in for "Cached Exchange Mode"?

I have a network of 30+ PC's, using Exchange 2000, XP Pro, and Office XP Professional, as yet no-one has reported this issue.... when I installed I removed the tick from Cached Exchange Mode.

Issue here with synchronization ----

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;821299

Description of Cached Mode...

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...HP010223431033

Troubleshooting:
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...EC011081751033
    Last edited by corturbra; July 27th, 2004 at 09:48 AM.
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

Yes I took this check mark of during the exchange mail setup on all the clients.
    But again this is not Office pro this is Office 2003 which is doing this. all my other computers ont he network are fine. Just the outlook 2003 has this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by corturbra
    When you setup the users mailbox did you leave the selection in for "Cached Exchange Mode"?

I have a network of 30+ PC's, using Exchange 2000, XP Pro, and Office XP Professional, as yet no-one has reported this issue.... when I installed I removed the tick from Cached Exchange Mode.

Issue here with synchronization ----

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;821299

Description of Cached Mode...

http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...HP010223431033

Troubleshooting:
    http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...EC011081751033

I tried this but it didn't make any difference. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    Double check at the server (IIS) if there isn't any yellow explanation points. Stop and then restart the IIS. See if that helps. Also double check the event viewer to see if there is a problem at the server end.

I tried the same thing. Wiped hard drives reinstall XP and Office 2003 and still the Outlook losses the exchange connection We get the same connection failure window. I ran a new cat5 to one of the computers put it on it's own switch still get the disconnects. I moved the computer to a different office used a different exchange account and still have the problem. I know its not my network hardware. So I uninstalled Office 2003 from one of the clients and installed Office XP no problems works fine. So why is Office 2003 doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by jewjew
    I am running a Win2003 network with Xppro and exchange 2003 and office 2003, i am having the same problem, we get several dropouts a day and no microsoft explanation. Just "exchange is trying to connect", our network engineers say there is nothing wrong with the network, it must be a client issue. I rebuilt a client from the ground up and have the same problem. There seems to be no resolution anywhere accross the internet.

Are you running out of licenses? Check the event viewer.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

We run cached modes on 53 laptops and uncached mode on 260 desktops. I have checked event viewer on servers and clients and found only a dissconnection notice with a link to microsoft that has no page on the end of it. We have not discussed this with microsoft as yet.

I tried the same thing. Wiped hard drives reinstall XP and Office 2003 and still the Outlook losses the exchange connection We get the same connection failure window. I ran a new cat5 to one of the computers put it on it's own switch still get the disconnects. I moved the computer to a different office used a different exchange account and still have the problem. I know its not my network hardware. So I uninstalled Office 2003 from one of the clients and installed Office XP no problems works fine. So why is Office 2003 doing this?

dcherry,
    Can you please let me know if you come up with a solution.....

Edited by NooNoo: Please use the PM or email facility from the users profile.
    Last edited by NooNoo; August 6th, 2004 at 07:28 AM.