problem with wireless network!

Thread: problem with wireless network!

problem with wireless network!

I've just put up a wireless network using a Linksys Router
    and TRENDnet PCI wireless cards.

7 workstations running W2K
    1 Server running W2K Server

To protect my wireless network I enable WEP Authentication.
    Everything works.............

BUT......

The ONLY problem that I have is that every 10minutes -sometimes even an 1hr-
    I get disconnected from the network on every other workstation and I have to wait for a few minutes to get the connection back.

This is annoying because there are 7 workstations but there is always 1 or 2 disconnected it and reconecting.

since this is my first wireless network, I do not know if I need a special hardware or software to prevent this, or if I am doing something wrong.
    I have tried changing the router, disabling WEP, and I still have the same problem.

Any help?
    Thank you

This may be a power management issue - check in the properties for the wireless cards that 2k is not shutting them down when it considers it to be idle.

The other thing to look at is the dhcp lease... how do your computers get an ip? If it's automatic, they are using dhcp.... is the router running a dhcp service? Is the server running dhcp?

Two dhcp servers on one network will provide you with all kinds of oddities. If you only have one, check that the leases are long enough.

Since you only have 7 machines, you could go for static ips.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    This may be a power management issue - check in the properties for the wireless cards that 2k is not shutting them down when it considers it to be idle.

The other thing to look at is the dhcp lease... how do your computers get an ip? If it's automatic, they are using dhcp.... is the router running a dhcp service? Is the server running dhcp?

Two dhcp servers on one network will provide you with all kinds of oddities. If you only have one, check that the leases are long enough.

Since you only have 7 machines, you could go for static ips.

I have tried what you say, I disabled dhcp on one router and put IP Addressess manually.

I still have the same problem,

any other ideas?

Thank You

What causes the wireless connection to be dropped every few minutes? Also, when I right click on the wireless connection icon, it says, “Wireless connection is available, to view available wireless networks - Click here”, which repeats and never seems to connect?

Answer
    This behavior usually happens when your connection is configured to use 802.1x Authentication, but your current hardware does not support the feature. To disable the option, follow these steps:

Accessing the Network Connections:
    1. Click on the Start menu.
    2. Select the Run option.

· In the Open field, type ncpa.cpl and press [Enter] or click the OK button.

3. The Network Connections screen will appear.

· Right click the Wireless Network Connection.

· Select Properties.

Select the Authentication tab.*

*If there isn't an "Authentication" tab, then please see Mircrosoft's Knowledge Article, 828940 for additional help.
    The Authentication screen will open:

REMOVE the check mark in “Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1x” option.
    Click OK to close the window and close all other open windows. Try to then re-connect to your wireless network -- you should now be able to establish a connection.

After doing this restart the computer.

If restarting the computer doesn't help, then please see Microsoft Knowledge Article 828940.

Try this...in the device manager go to all of the USB root hubs and turn off "allow windows to turn this off to save power".
    Also Kill things like "system standby", and "tun off hard disk" in Power management in control panel.

Try turning off the WEP encryption and see if it helps.
    Try changeing the channel of the wireless network (some cordless phones
    interfear, or someone else close by may have a wireless network).

Sometimes, you just need better gear. I have used the Linksys products and like them, but I dont know anything about those network cards. Consider buying a few linksys USB network cards and see if those users dont get the problem.

At any rate, I hate to break it to you, almost no wireless connections are secure. Even if you use that WEP encryption. If you want to be really scared about wireless security, vist http://airsnort.shmoo.com/ .
    Basicly one of the only ways to secure a wireless link is to use a specialty product that is HIPPA compliant (many $$), or configure all clients to use VPN links over the wireless connection.
    HOWever, you can make it very hard for the casual browser to get into your network by doing things like Disable the SSid broadcast, setup WEP, and use the pre-defined MAC address filter feature of that WAP.

Good luck
    Jamesthenerd

Welcome to Windrivers Monster_Man and thanks for the information. It looks like a knowledgebase article - can you provide a link to it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Monster_Man and thanks for the information. It looks like a knowledgebase article - can you provide a link to it?
    I can't remember where exactly, but it was in the linksys.com knowledgebase section.