mandrake 10 shutdown problems

Thread: mandrake 10 shutdown problems

mandrake 10 shutdown problems

I just installed Mandrake 10 and now when I go to shutdown or log out the screen just blacks out and the power is still running etc.

First install was an upgrade from mandrake 9.1, then when I was getting this shutdown problem, I did a format and fresh install of 10. Even with a fresh install, same problem.

I had no problems with 9.1, everything shutdown or logged out fine.

As far as details go~ this is a KDE only install, Mandrake 10, not much of anything running. motherboard= MSI 6340 v 3.0 (K7TM Pro), videocard=ATI Rage Fury Pro. I can give any more details needed just ask.

thanks
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Quote Originally Posted by craigmodius
    I just installed Mandrake 10 and now when I go to shutdown or log out the screen just blacks out and the power is still running etc.

First install was an upgrade from mandrake 9.1, then when I was getting this shutdown problem, I did a format and fresh install of 10. Even with a fresh install, same problem.

I had no problems with 9.1, everything shutdown or logged out fine.

As far as details go~ this is a KDE only install, Mandrake 10, not much of anything running. motherboard= MSI 6340 v 3.0 (K7TM Pro), videocard=ATI Rage Fury Pro. I can give any more details needed just ask.

thanks
    u need to recompile the kernel with acpi enabled and the power features

On my Gentoo install, only root can shutdown the pc. If you log in as root on the Mandrake box and then shutdown, does it work properly?
    Bollocks

first off, thanks so far guys

Titchski~ everyone is set to be able to shutdown the computer. I experience the same results when logged in as root.

Daemon~ I googled out alotta stuff on acpi and mandrake. Under my bootup config options from the Mandrake control center there is a checkmark to enable acpi, which I have selected. 2 services which I have running in the background are acpi and acpid. Still no luck. As far as I can tell from my reading acpi support is built into the mandrake 10 kernel. (Kernel 2.6.3)

I'm under the impression that the BIOS version I have doesn't support acpi, I believe there is only APM options. The latest bios has this fix listed...

Fixed that ToolsEvent ViewerSystemACPI error when system enters S1 status under WinXP
    I'm not running XP on this, but it leads me to believe there are acpi issues with this board. So I'm thinking that if I flash my bios that may fix it. I'm just hesitant to do that because of how it can go wrong

I'm going to double and triple check things, I downloaded the latest manual for the motherboard, and it mentions ACPI options that I don't think I have on this bios version, but I'm going to confirm that before thinking about flashing it.

apm will work to, if u can get it working, why are you not sure about getting the latest bios? Should fine.

I'm running Mandrake 10.0. I don't have any shutdown issues. I have two users set up and both can shut down the system.

I have a relative new motherboard ASUS a7n8x-x. That might be the difference. I am running the 2.6 kernel.

I'm a real newbie to Linux so I can't be much help, only say that 10.0 shuts down ok for me.

I'm having all kinds of problems with my wireless network though. I have given up trying to get it to work for now. Just seems like the newer version of 10.0 should have better support for wireless than it does. That has been my pain in the xxx......

APM and ACPI won't work together in the linux kernel. Most of the time, ACPI will do most of the work because it tends to get loaded first. Dunno why that is, order in some script file or another I guess. But, once it's loaded, it can block APM from loading. So, try building the kernel with just APM options, and see if that fixes or helps out any.

PS, Charlescpc, PM'ed you, just had some practice with wireless cards, might be able to help ya some.

well last week I was in the bookstore and seeing all the books on Fedora pushed me to dump Mandrake and go back to Redhat.

so now I'm running Fedora with no shutdown/logout issues.

almost everything seems pretty smooth so far

thanks for the help guys.