MS Search Engine Innovation and a (for now) Free Download
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MS Search Engine Innovation and a (for now) Free Download

MS Search Engine Innovation and a (for now) Free Download

From elsewhere, real close to ARSTechnica land:

Microsoft acquires specialty search company, Lookout Software

Posted July 16, 2004 @ 4:31PM, by Ken "Caesar" FisherMicrosoft's MSN division announced today that it has acquired Lookout Software, LLC. The acquisition, Microsoft says, will bring "additional technology and expertise to future search efforts by MSN."

"Lookout has developed an innovative technology for searching e-mail that is aligned with our own MSN Search efforts," said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of MSN. "Our vision is to take search beyond today's basic Internet search services to deliver direct answers to people's questions, and help them find information from a broad range of sources. We are thrilled to add the expertise of the Lookout team to our existing team of search experts."
    Lookout Software, a Silicon Valley startup, is a small application developer that specializes in a "local" search tool aimed at Microsoft Outlook 2003. Cofounded by former Netscape CTO Eric Hahn, the company has quickly made a name for itself amongst hardcore Outlook users. The search tool, aptly named Lookout, thoroughly and quickly indexes messages and makes them searchable in ways not available through Outlook's unimpressive search interface. The tool can also index any folder on your system, and search results are practically instantaneous. Ironically, Lookout has been termed "Google for Outlook" by many of its more dedicated users.

Lookout was being developed as a "free" client during the build-up phase, but the company had said that it eventually planned on charging US$29.95 for the product once it was finished. Now, however, development has ceased, and the client is "officially" no longer even available for download—a rather sad fact given that it is the best search tool out there for Outlook (and perhaps even for your local system). The developers say that they now must turn their attention to future technologies. At least until someone points it out, the old download location is still active, however. Grab it while you can.
    Now this is more MS' style of innovation.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Tryng it now.......
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    Works great!

!!!WARNING!!!

If you have a slow machine and or a lot of mail, the indexing can take a while
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

goes 404 for me
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    goes 404 for me
    Likewise.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

It worked fine a couple of minutes ago, but this was to be expected since the website did state that the product was no longer available.

If anyone wants it, post here and I'll email the 875Kb installer to you.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

*NooNoo puts up hand
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    *NooNoo puts up hand
    Done.

Me too..jumps up and down
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    Send it to your Yahoo account?

Otherwise, PM me another email address.

If anyone else wants it, I'll make it available for download for a few hours when I get home tonight. I'll post the address later.

Cheers
    Bollocks

Quote Originally Posted by Titchski
    If anyone else wants it, I'll make it available for download for a few hours when I get home tonight. I'll post the address later.

Cheers
    Awesome.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by a d e p t
    Done.
    Thanks.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

Registered User Dark Millennium's Avatar
    Me too please....
    The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of you coffee.
    (Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel)

If a program is useful, it will have to be changed.
    (Laws of Computer Programming, III)

Thanx to Adept for the Avatar