Strange Video/Mouse Issue

Thread: Strange Video/Mouse Issue

Strange Video/Mouse Issue

I got a system with an Asus A7VI-VM motherboard which has an onboard video card (S3 ProSavage KL/KM). A strange thing happens when I install the drivers, it restarts the machine in 800x600 and the mouse is not centered properly. Hard to explain, but the little mouse cursor is not positioned where you are actually clicking. Like if you were clicking on My Computer, the mouse cursor is actually several icons down, but you are clicking on My Computer. If I revert to 640x480 and restart the machine it's normal. Any ideas? It's got WinME, the newest Asus drivers, windows is totally updated. It's a VIA chipset so I've also installed the newest VIA drivers. Any ideas?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

monitor drivers....?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've never had an issue with this monitor ever before...it's a Samsung Syncmaster 750s... plug and play in windows... but I've now noticed that it still does it at 640x480, but only on every other bootup... I'm totally baffled (which isn't too difficult)

I should have mentioned the fact this is a fresh install of ME....
    Last edited by arch0nmyc0n; July 19th, 2004 at 01:46 PM.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

upon further inspection of the video drivers, I tried s3.com and it was some other company now. I went to VIA Arena as the chipset is VIA and located a ProSavage driver on www.s3graphics.com that seems to have corrected the issue... thanks noo for suggesting something

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    monitor drivers....?
    i could use some of those to go with my muffler bearings.

Forget the muffler bearings, I need to fix the flu-flu valve on my system, I get to type my use name after backing up
    Good to here that arch0nmyc0n got his video problem sorted out
    Can you guess how long it takes to format an 80 gig drive, Yip go to bed and it will be done in the morining
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

only on an unconditional format... use powermax or wd or seagate utils, done in a trice.

Or use freedos utils... the fdisk doesn't have that nasty verifying drive integrity pewp... and the format can quick format even newly partitioned drives... but the drive manufacturers utils are just as good, but at least the freedos stuff isn't drive specific...