1394 read/write problems (Win XP Pro)

Thread: 1394 read/write problems (Win XP Pro)

1394 read/write problems (Win XP Pro)

I have gone through several firewire cards. Basically, My card(s) are recognized, it says they are working correctly, it appears that there are no IRQ conflicts (they seem to be unique), however? ANY device I attach, it tells me that it is a generic volume, and asks me if I would like to format the disk [within 'my computer' under properties for the device]. This includes an older ipod (with new firmware update) and also a simple CF card reader.

In both cases, The device is recognized correctly and immediately by the computer (in device manager); however the computer can't read the CF card format (asks me to reformat), and itunes tells me my ipod is unreadable and that I need to update (already done).

I have removed the cards and put them in new slots, I have checked for IRQ conflicts. I have installed and re-installed the software.

The cards are PCI cards on an ASUS K8V, running XP Pro.

Welcome to Windrivers jasonbmc

SP1 installed?
    All windows updates done?
    seen this?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers jasonbmc

SP1 installed?
    All windows updates done?
    seen this?
    Yes, SP1 is done, all critical updates done.

did you read the article?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question Article read

did you read the article?
    Yes, I've read the article. It doesn't describe my problem exactly. My computer believes both items need to be formatted (unrecognizable format); and never were they both plugged in at the same time. Also, the article describes the first item as still working correctly, and this is not the case for me. Further, it seems like my computer "sees" the hardware correctly; both the ipod and the cf card reader are correctly named in the device manager when plugged in. Could it be something wierd like a PCI card latency setting [or some other bios setting]? It seems like the computer sees the device correctly, but is unable to communicate with it in the correct way; like its expecting it to be a standard disk drive, or (?)... I'm really guessing of course I've tried everything I could think of. At first I thought it was my ipod, itunes, or software associated, but after I purchased the CF card reader and that also would not work via firewire, I came to the conclusion that firewire devices aren't going to work. I have really spent a bizarre amount of time on this. Thanks for your help. Jason

1394 patch

Please try this patch to make sure that it is not part of the enumeration problem.

Via and asus seem to have a problem with firewire... while your motherboard is not specifically mentioned, it is rather new.... there are 7 bios updates for this board while none specifically mention firewire, there is a good chance that an update will have an effect as it does mention pci timings, 4 in 1 readers etc....

What was used to originally format these devices? Have you installed the latest via drivers?

I installed the newest bios, the updates (excluding cool n quiet stuff), and the enumerator patch. Still same problem. I'm baffled. Thanks, Jason

1394 patch

Please try this patch to make sure that it is not part of the enumeration problem.

Via and asus seem to have a problem with firewire... while your motherboard is not specifically mentioned, it is rather new.... there are 7 bios updates for this board while none specifically mention firewire, there is a good chance that an update will have an effect as it does mention pci timings, 4 in 1 readers etc....

What was used to originally format these devices? Have you installed the latest via drivers?

What was used to originally format these devices?