mapped drive problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mapped drive problem

Exclamation mapped drive problem

OK heres the situation.
    Two computers connected via thin ethernet both running windows 98 2nd edition
    Computer number 1 has a DOS program and all data that is required
    Computer number 2 has always had a mapped drive F (no:1's Drive C)
    Computer number 2 has a short cut as :- Target f:\senior\app.exe Working folder f:\senior

This has worked fine for over 6 years!!

This week number 1 had a crash, Wordperfect 6 will no longer work (system does not have sufficient memory "it does 128mb ram and over 20gb free on HDD), i have uninstalled wordperfect deleted all traces of it from HDD and used regedit to delete any trace there, However when you reinstall it you get the same error message, so the only way round for that was to install wordperfect version 8 (which looks and handles totally different)

Since the crash however number 2 computer can NOT use the program from number 1 until i do the following :-

Start no:2 computer, go into my computer, right click mapped drive F and disconnect , go into network places into number 1 computer and remap drive c to a drive letter OTHER than the one that has just been disconnected (VERY IMPORTANT, if you use the SAME nothing happens) , Then edit the shortcut to the NEW drive letter, Then the program will work. You can run program, work close it, and rerun program with no problems......

BUT after both computers are turned off, you have to repeat the above process

Number 1 computer does not have this problem (other than wordperfect version 6 not wanting to play the game)

so whats gone on here, and what is (if there is) the solution (other than format and install both computers that is!!)

Welcome to Windrivers Adrian

The insufficient memory error could be caused by a few things. Can you give us more details about the crash?

What did you do to fix it? Can you remember the error message(s)?

test your ram with memtest86 it could be that while it's registering 128mb, the ram is faulty and 98 is not able to use it all.

Also check your virtual memory settings (right click my computer, properties, performance tab, virtual memory button) If windows is handling it, it could be the file it's created for it has corrupted. Turn off virtual memory by checking the disable box, shut down, reboot and then go and enable it again.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

many thanks for that, i'm not to worried about wordperfect working, as EVERYTHING else works fine, no problem at all on number 1.

The bit that really needs a fix is
    Since the crash however number 2 computer can NOT use the program {thats the DOS program NOT workperfect}from number 1 until i do the following :-

Start no:2 computer, go into my computer, right click mapped drive F and disconnect , go into network places into number 1 computer and remap drive c to a drive letter OTHER than the one that has just been disconnected (VERY IMPORTANT, if you use the SAME nothing happens) , Then edit the shortcut to the NEW drive letter, Then the program will work. You can run program, work close it, and rerun program with no problems......

since the problem started at the same time, then it is probably linked to the crash. Let us have the details and then you will get suggestions.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

The only extra bit really that i can give is that :-

Number one computer was using wordperfect version 4 and was also in the DOS accounting program, when the accounting program crashed (it is prone to it! as it is not meant to run networked!, but it has done so for around 6 years)

So after the crash both computers had to restart.

After the restart No:1 wordperfect version 4 will not work(not a BIG problem)

And no:2 computer has to go through the below (****) to get the DOS based accounting program to work (which is loacted on number 1 computer)

But number one computer has NO problems in running the DOS program (Senior Pegasus version 7.04 ---- OLD)

(****)
    The procedure to get the no2 computer to use DOS program senior pegasus from number one :-

Let me ask you this, the #2 computer, when you try to access the Mapped drive after a fresh reboot of the PC's, where do you experience the problem? By that I mean, does Explorer not allow you to open the mapped drive, or can you actually browse into the directory, it's just the DOS based app that's running into the problem?

I think the key here is to determine exactly where the problem is starting from…as in which PC is causing the problem, cause I have a sure suspicion that its just one of them, we just need to narrow it down. So there may be some more poking and prodding before a resolution presents itself… if you can bear with that, and provide comprehensive responses to questions (which you have so far) we may eventually resolve this.

Hang in there!

another test would be, if you can start run
    \\computer1\sharename\filename.exe
    click ok and it run the program

Does it? If not, what error?

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    Let me ask you this, the #2 computer, when you try to access the Mapped drive after a fresh reboot of the PC's, where do you experience the problem? By that I mean, does Explorer not allow you to open the mapped drive, or can you actually browse into the directory, it's just the DOS based app that's running into the problem?
    #2 computer CAN see the mapped drive after a restart, it connects automatically no problem, Its just that dos based application, and after disconnecting the mapped drive, and then remapping it as ANOTHER drive letter, and then editing the short cut to the dos application all works well, I have even dumped the short-cut (as they do go funny sometimes) and made a fresh one.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    another test would be, if you can start run
    \\computer1\sharename\filename.exe
    click ok and it run the program

Does it? If not, what error?
    Tried it that way, gives and illegal opperation {componant of the DOS program} not sure of the error code now as i am no longer on-site in that area

My guess is that this DOS app doesn't have a support site??? What was it called again,
    (Senior Pegasus version 7.04 ---- OLD)
    The fact that the drive is mapping correctly in Windows, there seems to be something fishy with the app itself then. That could suck...

My guess is that this DOS app doesn't have a support site??? What was it called again,

The fact that the drive is mapping correctly in Windows, there seems to be something fishy with the app itself then. That could suck...
    It has NOOO support, was never intended to run networked either!!!

BUT is HAS been running networked for the past 6+ years!!! until this crash, it may well be that it needs to be re-installed on number 1 computer even though it is running fine with no problems on number 1 computer

is the whole drive shared or just the relevant folders? Might be the share has corrupted.... I support a couple of 95 machines (yes I know) and about every 4 months the maps quit... remaking the shares does the trick.

And along those lines, I would try to avoid sharing out the whole C drive. If the app is in a folder in the root of c, share that "senior" folder.

THen, instead of:
    f:\senior\app.exe Working folder f:\senior
    The shortcut on the remote PC would be to F:\app.exe, working folder is F:...

is the whole drive shared or just the relevant folders? Might be the share has corrupted.... I support a couple of 95 machines (yes I know) and about every 4 months the maps quit... remaking the shares does the trick.
    Perfect! That sounds good, and i've not tried that.

EDIT!!! Yes the ENTIRE drive c IS shared

And along those lines, I would try to avoid sharing out the whole C drive. If the app is in a folder in the root of c, share that "senior" folder.
    THen, instead of:
    Quote:
    f:\senior\app.exe Working folder f:\senior
    The shortcut on the remote PC would be to F:\app.exe, working folder is F:...
    Another GOOD idea, the original sharing was not set-up my me, But it makes sence to share the folder "senior" on #1 and then Map that on #2

And set-up other shared folders to where the word/excel etc stuff is dumped to

Thanks guys, i will try this and see what happens, i will let you know how it goes, it will be about a week when i get back to that site (unless one of the staff are brave enought for me to tell them over the phone to do it!)

good luck.... I know my best explanations seem to go awry when you have super clicker on the phone.

good luck.... I know my best explanations seem to go awry when you have super clicker on the phone.