USB upgrade..dell inspiron

Thread: USB upgrade..dell inspiron

USB upgrade..dell inspiron

I am in need of some direction. I bought an IPOd a few days ago which requires a USB 2.0 connection. The never reliable Dell Inspiron 2650 laptob only has usb 1.1 connection, which is fine. However, I bought a USB 2.0 card today to update my system, but my computer didnt really recognize a new high speed usb connection because I got the same message about a high speed being plugged into a low speed usb port. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get my USB ports upgraded so I can start using my ipod? Thank you.

Welcome to Windrivers Scottgro

First off, what usb card did you buy? Make and model please. Secondly what windows are you using?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

usb card

NooNoo,

I bought a Dynex USB 2.0 Notebook Card, but I have a feeling it may not be a high power usb card. Also, I am using Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop.

Thank you.

Have you upgraded to sp1? Are all your windows updates done? USB 2 is not available on xp machines without sp1.

This is based on the via chipset and should be fine... here at dell there is a couple of chipset driver updates... one for the motherboard the other for the pcmcia slot. Install the intel chipset driver first, then the 02 pcmcia controller.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo,

I have not upgraded to sp1. Frankly, I have to admit that I do not know what sp1 is. I just did the two updates from the dell website that you suggested. All my windows updates are up to date. So please explain what sp1 is, and if I need to purchase a better USB 2.0 CARD.

Thank you,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Have you upgraded to sp1? Are all your windows updates done? USB 2 is not available on xp machines without sp1.

This is based on the via chipset and should be fine... here at dell there is a couple of chipset driver updates... one for the motherboard the other for the pcmcia slot. Install the intel chipset driver first, then the 02 pcmcia controller.

SP1 - service pack 1 for windows xp.

SP1 contains the code required to run usb2.0 - without it you will not have usb2.0, it will work only at usb 1.1.

Please download and install sp1 from windows updates.

Smile Inspiron 2650 USB 2.0 fix

Quote Originally Posted by scottgro
    I am in need of some direction. I bought an IPOd a few days ago which requires a USB 2.0 connection. The never reliable Dell Inspiron 2650 laptob only has usb 1.1 connection, which is fine. However, I bought a USB 2.0 card today to update my system, but my computer didnt really recognize a new high speed usb connection because I got the same message about a high speed being plugged into a low speed usb port. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get my USB ports upgraded so I can start using my ipod? Thank you.
    Go to http://home.insightbb.com/~scottlandon/ download the file available there, install it and reboot your problems are over. It worked for me.!

sp1

NooNOo,

I have installed sp1 a while ago. I reviewed my installation history. What should I do now? Should I buy another USB card?

Thanks,

Scott

SP1 contains the code required to run usb2.0 - without it you will not have usb2.0, it will work only at usb 1.1.

I ran sp1 update. What else should I do now?

Thanks.

Did you download the patch posted by stevek1959 above?

How does the card appear in device manager? Should be "___ PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller" or something similar. Any yellow ! or ?

Any idea who made the card for dynex? Is there an FCC ID on the card?
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.