• 865PE

0 0%
  • 875P

1 50.00%
  • 915P

1 50.00%

Thread: Choosing between intel platforms

Choosing between intel platforms

I'm starting to spec out a new pc, and I'm trying to decide between three intel chipsets: 865PE, 875P (or possibly the new 915P). What are people building with? I'm curious whether the superior performance of the 875P over the 865PE on paper, actually translates in the real world (and justifies the extra $). I'm not a gamer, so I'm not looking to build a rocket, but I am looking for something that can handle image, video and audio editing and processing.

The 915P is a wild card, as it has all the new technology (pci express, hd audio, matrix storage, etc.), but has gotten only mediocre reviews. Seems to be priced about the same as the 875P. Has anyone actually built a pc with one yet?

And yes, I know I could do the whole thing for less on an AMD platform, but lets not open that bag of worms.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Build all three and write a review (ps the two you don't like you can ship to me for storage
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 27th, 2004 at 07:26 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Depending on which Board you use in theory you can get the advantages of an 875 chipset by using the 865. The Albitron PE 865 Pro will give you that for less money. The PE 865 Pro will "dual channel" just like the 875.

http://www.albatron.com.tw/english/it/mb/pro_list.asp

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar
    I have an Intel D875PBZ with the 875 chipset and it is very stable and VERY fast
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Well, I originally planned to build this from scratch, but I low-balled a bid at ubid.com (not expecting to win) and ended up with a refurbished IBM workstation (Intellistation M Pro) for $420. That's less than I was prepared to spend for the cpu, case, motherboard, and operating system, so I figure everything else is gravy.

Pentium 4 2.8GHz w/ HT
    Intel 875P chipset
    256mb pc2700 ddr sdram
    nvidia quadro4 280 nvs 64mb 8x agp
    40gb ata/100 7,200rpm hd (plus integrated 2 channel sata controller)
    48x cd-rom
    gigabit ethernet
    6 usb 2.0, 2 1394
    realtek ac-97

I have already ordered a matched pair of 512mb pc3200 dual channel. I still need to get a dvd-rw drive, and I will probably upgrade the hard drive (to sata raid) and possibly the video sometime in the future.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

Wouldnt a faster hdd be good for what you are planning to do? And audio editing, a better soundcard?

hello if you are thinking about what chipset to but ie:
    865, 875 or 915 the 875 would be my choise i have read up about the
    new 915 chipset and ihave read some very interesting benchmark results
    to be honest you wont gain much more power from the 915 to the 875
    you will just pay a lot more money 875 is a good choise
    What dont kill you only makes you stronger!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Wouldnt a faster hdd be good for what you are planning to do? And audio editing, a better soundcard?
    That's the plan - get two sata drives set up as raid. Haven't decided yet whether to keep the 40 in the picture.

I haven't made a decision yet on the sound. I'm going to have to work with it and see what the results are.

Isnt there a 925 too?

Yea - they're marketing it as a high-performance gaming platform. Not entirely sure what the difference is (aside from more $).