Need Help w/ Compaq 5838 Video Driver

Thread: Need Help w/ Compaq 5838 Video Driver

Need Help w/ Compaq 5838 Video Driver

Man, I am relieved to find this forum! I'm trying to fix the B-I-L's computer. Last week I reformatted the hard drives, both C: and D:. I re-installed the OS (Windows ME). Everything looks good except I can't re-install his ISP because the display doesn't meet the minimum requirements. I tried upgrading the video driver from the Compaq support site, but that didn't work, it's still at 16-bit color and 400x800 resolution. I also found out that I shouldn't have formatted the D: drive because it contains system files. I don't know what to do now, or how to fix his display? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to windrivers jtmc74

compaq drivers for your 5838 are here

Compaq are slowly putting up more and more drivers - its almost a pleasure to go there now!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo,

Thanks for the link. I tried installing that driver yesterday with no success. Part of my problem may have been that I didn't have any instructions. Do you know if I need to do any configuration after I install the driver? I was hoping there might be a Readme.txt file with the install, but I couldn't find one.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmc74
    Man, I am relieved to find this forum! I'm trying to fix the B-I-L's computer. Last week I reformatted the hard drives, both C: and D:. I re-installed the OS (Windows ME). Everything looks good except I can't re-install his ISP because the display doesn't meet the minimum requirements. I tried upgrading the video driver from the Compaq support site, but that didn't work, it's still at 16-bit color and 400x800 resolution. I also found out that I shouldn't have formatted the D: drive because it contains system files. I don't know what to do now, or how to fix his display? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Taking it you had uninstalled the previous drivers, then tried to install the new drivers?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_61.76

I haven't uninstalled any drivers. I installed Windows ME. Once I figured out that the display wasn't working correctly I installed the drivers that crumbs linked. I tried about 10 of the adapters from that install and none of them worked correctly. Then I tried the driver that NooNoo linked. It didn't work either, but I'm not totally sure that I configured it correctly because there weren't any instructions. I'm at a loss right now, and I'm really not sure what to do to get my B-I-L's computer working correctly.

aaah ok.

do this

1. boot to safe mode (press f8 just before windows load, choose option 3)
    2. go to control panel, add/remove programs. Remove / uninstall any software by nvidia
    2. open device manager (control panel, system)
    3. double click on display adapters.
    4. remove every single display adapter.
    5. shut down and reboot to normal mode
    6. windows should detect a pci vga display adapter (it may even tell you its configured badly)
    7. follow the wizard and dont attempt to give it any drivers, uncheck any boxes about searching any locations and let it install from its own drivers a pci vga graphics adapter
    8. reboot when prompted to normal mode
    9. double click the download exe file from nvidia, follow the wizard
    10. reboot when prompted
    11. when fully back at desktop right click on the desktop anywhere but an icon and select properties
    12 Last tab setup.... select 16 or 32 bit colour and move the slider to 800x600.
    13. If you cannot do the last step, go to device manager, look under display adapters again and post exactly what is shown there. Then go to add/remove programs and confirm that the nvidia drivers/software (nview) is shown in the list of programs and say in your post whether it is shown or not.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."