82801EB ICH5 Issue

Thread: 82801EB ICH5 Issue

82801EB ICH5 Issue

I'll just cut right to the chase.

I recently got a D865PEMA motherboard. The controller for SATA on this board is 82801EB ICH5. Note the lack of RAID, not really concerned with that though. What I'm trying to do is install Windows XP Pro on one of my SATA drives, but unfortunately I'm unable to locate any "F6" drivers to do so. All I can find are setups to support SATA after XP is installed. Any help to relieve this frustration would be wonderful.

~Esaxe

OMGmissinglink, thanks for your quick reply. Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. I solved the problem and was able to install just fine. Turns out that my BIOS had SATA entirely disabled. I set it to use SATA as primary and IDE as secondary and everything worked just like it was supposed to.

Of course my fun couldn't end there. Since my board only has 2 SATA controllers I added a PCI one. A Vantec UGT-ST200. If a drive is plugged into it my machine refuses to boot. I'm going to contact Vantec and see if they can tell me what the problem is. I'd appreciate any ideas the folks here have though.

~Esaxe

I assume you have loaded the drivers for this card... some have their own set up on boot - does this one? I went to the vantec site and it's next to useless.

What pci slot is the vantec card plugged into? This can make a huge difference depending on the motherboard ... for example, slot 1 often shares resources with the AGP slot. You need to check the motherboard manual to see what shares with what, then choose a slot that either doesn't share, or doesn't share with something that's needed at boot.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Drivers, yes, I've got those. The disk supplied with the product has multiple drivers on it. None of which install what the manual supplied tells me I'm installing. Vantec's website however has the correct ones. It's the only useful thing on it.

Currently the card is plugged into PCI slot 2. It was originally in slot 5, then moved to slot 1, then it found it's current home. Regardless of slot the result is the same, hangs before Windows even remotely things of starting. Futhermore, when I attempt to enter setup the machine just ignores me. I get the message "Entering Setup", but it just goes right on to kinda booting. I'd love to check the motherboard documentation, but sadly my board is OEM and came with none. I will never buy another OEM board in my entire life.

I've tried the card with all 3 of my drives and had all 3 plugged into the onboard controller. All 3 drives are detected fine onboard. All 3 drives cause the same hanging problem when plugged into the card. Note, one of those drives contains my OS. An initial thought of mine was that the card was trying to be SATA0 while the board was already SATA0. Which I could check if I could get to the blasted setup.

I haven't gotten a reply from Vantec yet. Probably won't ever see one. Unless it's for an offer of $19.99 an hour tech support...

~Esaxe

Same thing, just hangs before Windows.

The motherboard manual should have been supplied and there should be a copy on the motherboard driver cd.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."