Tecra S1- Modem Error 633

Thread: Tecra S1- Modem Error 633

Tecra S1- Modem Error 633

About a week ago, the software modem on my new Tecra S1 stopped working, & it now gives me error 633 when I try to connect to the net. This is what I have tried:
    Re-installed drivers for modem. (And updated)
    Updated BIOS to current revision.
    I have also found this link- http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._21031111.html but I dont have either telephon.ini or tapiini.exe on my system. (My old Win98 machine has them though) The Bluetooth software mentioned here is installed, but unused.

What baffles me though, is that I made no changes to the installed software or the machine config; The modem just stopped working. Any ideas?

The modem is sensitive to power surges, dips and spikes... did you have any storms near you?

In control panel, networking, is the dialup adapter shown? How about in device manager under network - dialup adapter should be shown there too.

Try removing the dialup adapter, reboot and reinstall using the networking icon in control panel, add button.
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 31st, 2004 at 12:59 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    The modem is sensitive to power surges, dips and spikes... did you have any storms near you?

In control panel, networking, is the dialup adapter shown? How about in device manager under network - dialup adapter should be shown there too.
    Yes, it is shown in all these places. I don't think that there have been any storms, but I dont think that this matters, as it is not plugged in to either a socket or the phone line when not in use, and there certainly havent been any storms while I have been using it.

Try removing the dialup adapter, reboot and reinstall using the networking icon in control panel, add button.
    That was one of the methods that I tried for re-installing the drivers (Unless you meant to do it in safe mode)
    Also, it may be helpful that Windows detects the modem on add new hardware.

is this xp? Do you have a palm pilot? check this
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

is this xp? Do you have a palm pilot? check this
    Sorry; Should have stated earlier that it is XP. Definitely no palm pilot.

Try the fixes in the article anyway.... quite often ms blames a particular product, but the effect can be achieved in many ways....

Just had a thought.... download hijackthis create a log and post it... you may have contracted a nasty.

Should have thought of this earlier, but I just tested the modem with Hyperterminal; Its toast
    One for the warranty then....

ouch, at least it's in warranty.

Just for the record, ran into an identical problem about a week ago on a Tecra S1 (another unusual effect was to slow down, intermittently, the play speed of audio files). In a nutshell, I'd an old Satellite S1800, removed its modem (identical) and installed into the S1. Swapping the modem fixed the problem.

Naturally, bring it back to the retailer if under warranty, but for anyone else who encounters this problem, I'd strongly recommend not resorting to reinstalling windows, real pain in the neck...

Just for background: Initially could not connect to ISP, Dial-Up would report Error 633. Using Control Panel->System->Device Manager->Modems, the device was reported to be working fine but when you query the modem (under Diagnostics tab) it reports the "port is already open by another device". Tried changing comm port, swapping with the serial port (COM1), updated the drivers from Toshiba, performed virus scans, got so hacked off finally reinstalled Windows. Still no fix until I swapped modem.
    Last edited by Podge; August 7th, 2004 at 04:32 AM.

Welcome to Windrivers Podge and thanks for the tip!

Hello.
    I have the same problem in Tecra S1, can anybody provide info about modem details and replacement steps.
    Notebook warranty has expired.
    Thanks.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rend
    Hello.
    I have the same problem in Tecra S1, can anybody provide info about modem details and replacement steps.
    Notebook warranty has expired.
    Thanks.
    You're in luck!
    These machines have a real reputation for frying modems, as I found out. Find your nearest Toshiba service centre, NOT the idiot support line, & tell them your problem. They should then replace the modem (Lifetime warranty on the new one, at least in UK)

Chris Lees