Cloned Hard Disk won't boot...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cloned Hard Disk won't boot...

Registered User The Computer Valet's Avatar

Cloned Hard Disk won't boot...

Hey folks,

I did something this weekend that I've done at least 10 times to various desktops or notebooks and it's always worked...

Except this time.

This is a Solo 9500 Gateway notebook. The 10GB IBM hard drive inside started to indicate imminent failure. So, we decided to replace it. I bought a new 20GB Seagate drive.

I used Drive Copy to clone the drive.

Now the system won't boot.

What happens is it runs through BIOS, the screen goes blank, a cursor appears on the upper left and there it sits.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Tried a few different options in Drive Copy -- safe copy, etc.

2. Ran FIXBOOT from the Recovery Console. (Note: I CAN access the disk if I run Recovery Console. I can get a directory listing, run CHKDSK (although it says it doesn't need to run), etc.

3. I also tried Norton Ghost, which has worked for me in the past when Drive Copy didn't.

4. I've default-set the BIOS. (The BIOS does recognize the HDD fine.)

If I put the OLD HDD in, the system reports Missing Operating System. This makes me wonder if it's some BIOS-related problem or whether the drive needs to be tatooed somehow.

If I need to, I'll reinstall XP. (Hopefully I can do a repair install.) I'd prefer not to, however.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Have you tried any of the other tools available when you use the recovery console?

What did you use for the source of your clone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Computer Valet
    If I put the OLD HDD in, the system reports Missing Operating System. This makes me wonder if it's some BIOS-related problem or whether the drive needs to be tatooed somehow.

If I need to, I'll reinstall XP. (Hopefully I can do a repair install.) I'd prefer not to, however.

Any thoughts?
    The above speaks volumes Valet!
    Do the Repair Insall and everything should again be alright!
    Bios related: nah! OS related: YES!
    Repair install: YES!!

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Whe're ya been hiding, Valet?
    About a 2 months ago I used Ghost on a Gateway tower. The client said she had been on the phone with Gateway who told her the drive was going bad and sent her a replacement. I installed the replacement and ghosted fromt he old one. I had a similiar problem as you. New drive wouldn't boot though in recovery console I could see the files had been copied. I tried a repair install and that totally pooched it. I figured it might have something to do with GoBack. I ended up reformatting.
    About 3 weeks ago another computer at that company had the exact same problem. This time I ghosted with no problems. I assume on the failed attempt there was file corruption on the old drive that ghost did not detect.
    Last edited by techs; August 1st, 2004 at 06:53 AM.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Sometimes resetting the BIOS to factory defaults will solve the problem of not being able to boot to the ghosted drive.

Check the the status of that harddrive - I'm pretty sure, it is not set as an "active". Use Partition Magic for that...

Have you tried FIXMBR from the recovery console? I've luck with that command in the past in similar circumstances.

Well...

It looks like it's an MBR problem.

If I try to FixMBR, though, it kills the partition.

Only if I reformat the reinstall does it work.

I still have the old hard drive. It's in an odd state, though. It won't boot either, but the BIOS at least reports Missing Operating System.

I did notice that the partition, after Ghosting anyway, was not set to active. That was ... ahm... odd.

Hmmm... I think I can try something else. I think Drive Copy screwed the active partition on the old hdd. I wonder: If I reset the partition to active on the old hdd and try ghosting again...

Frustrating. This has worked flawlessly at least 10 times before...

Hey Techs! Nice to see you, too. I have been around. I've just been VERY busy. Business this year has doubled. I think I'm finally into the summer slowdown, but it took a long time to get here!

m
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Are you saying that you tried fixmbr and it killed the partition? I would try setting that partition active before you try anything else. A simple DOS disk with FDISK will allow you to set the partition active.

Let me know what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by marty3
    Are you saying that you tried fixmbr and it killed the partition? I would try setting that partition active before you try anything else. A simple DOS disk with FDISK will allow you to set the partition active.
    I am saying that running FIXMBR will kill the partition and its contents.

I did try setting the partition active with Partition Magic, but that did not have any effect.

Well... in retrospect, I didn't do it that way. I set it Active in XP by hooking up the disk to another desktop and setting it in the Disk Administrator. Same thing?

m
    Last edited by The Computer Valet; August 6th, 2004 at 09:04 PM.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Should be same as setting active via boot disk. I'm not so sure that running FIXMBR will kill all partitions and contents. At least it has not for me, yet. If you're worried about that, grab another HD if you have one and dupe it again and try it. That way, if it does kill the partitions, you'll have a backup image.

Let me know what happens.

Marty

Fixmbr does not kill the partitions, it rewrites the partition information. IF the partitions have been built badly - eg overlapping partitions, then it will have the effect of not being able to access the data as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, I am out of ideas.

The partition is set active. It's a single partition built upon the entire drive. It's NTFS.

Right now, after BIOS the system stops at a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I have seen a lot of people with this problem, but they're all dealing with multiple OSs.

I can write a new bootsector with FIXBOOT, but that doesn't fix it. If I do a FIXMBR, it reports invalid information and then, after having written an MBR, I can no longer access the contents of the drive.

Yes, I was able to make a backup and the customer is okay with my nuking it.

But DADGUMIT, I want to _fix_ it.

I'll keep trying, but... I can't think of anything else to do but wipe it.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

Ok... so FIXMBR does not ruin the data. My mistake.
    Cheers,

The Computer Valet
    Mike Whalen

I fixed few times similar "blinking cursor" situation (happened also after imaging) by using Drive Image 2002 floppies. It found few errors in drive's partition and offered to fix them, one by one... Something about LBA-CHS translation... Once fixed, drive started normally...