MSI KT266PRO2, keyboard not installed properly?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MSI KT266PRO2, keyboard not installed properly?

Post MSI KT266PRO2, keyboard not installed properly?

Hey Guys,
    I have an MSI KT266Pro2 DDR KT266A motherboard that I recently installed in my machine. Everytime it POST's I get an error that the PS/2 keyboard is not installed correctly, press F1 to continue (I love the irony). Everything works fine after that. I thought this was due to my fancy wireless keyboard and mouse so I replaced them with a regular wired keyboard and mouse. The error continues!!! Anyone have any ideas, firmware update in order???
    "Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

This might sound obvious, but is there an option in your BIOS to ignore all keyboard errors?

Banned

apart from what mac has replied , try another k/board ,,and see if it works , try your k/board in another machine ,,

failing that can i suggest you check that your k/board and mouse are in the correct connectors and not reversed.
    also remove any "pass thru" conectors k/board / mouse

if u are still having probs , then try resetting the bios using the jumper on the m/board ,and

if all else fails you may have damaged your PS controller.

I did not find an option in the bios to ignore all keyboard errors, but I could just be very tired. I have tried a total of three keyboards, two with nothing but the factory PS/2 connector. I have also reset the bios via the jumper. This machine never did it until I upgraded the motherboard and it has done it from the very first time it posted with the MSI. Anything else, maybe just a bad board from the get go?
    "Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

If it new motherboard and still under warranty, I would suggest You to RMA that motherboard.

I can say even more...there are few fuses located near keyboard connector (look like ordinary SMD resistors). One of them most likely changed resistance from zero Ohm to few tens Ohms - I've repaired quite a few motherboards with same defect...
    So, if You already tried another keyboard with no luck, then most likely it is bad motherboard...

Update:
    The system running on this board decided early Sunday afternoon that it would no longer respond to the power button (this system no longer boots). My local wholesaler was happy to replace the board this morning after their expert benched the board.

The winning is....(drum roll please).... Ruslan with the following:
    [quote]Originally posted by Ruslan:
    If it new motherboard and still under warranty, I would suggest You to RMA that motherboard.

Banned

[quote]Originally posted by yingling:
    Update:
    The system running on this board decided early Sunday afternoon that it would no longer respond to the power button (this system no longer boots). My local wholesaler was happy to replace the board this morning after their expert benched the board.

The winning is....(drum roll please).... Ruslan with the following:

glad you are sorted , and agree with ruslan ,,,but remember ,,. I thought this was due to my fancy wireless keyboard and mouse

so *uck them off and use normal ,,

it was/could have been them that *ucked the PS2 sockets up

[quote]Originally posted by freddy:

I would agree with you there but I also have a 4 port KVM switch and out of the last ~50 computers I've hooked up to this setup I've never had a problem. I also tried a regular keyboard and had the same problems before things took a turn for the worse. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

[quote]Originally posted by freddy:

glad you are sorted , and agree with ruslan ,,,but remember ,,. I thought this was due to my fancy wireless keyboard and mouse

so *uck them off and use normal ,,

If wireless keyboards and mice messed up PS2 ports we wouldn't be buying them and no one would be selling them. Not the greatest of solutions. IMO
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Banned

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:

If wireless keyboards and mice messed up PS2 ports we wouldn't be buying them and no one would be selling them. Not the greatest of solutions. IMO

yes but if people , decide to use them as USB type ports , ie plug + play , then they WILL experience , more problems than the Std type PS2 or DINN type conectors,

If YOU believe the statement you have said above, can i pass your phone No, to a lot of people that have *ucked there PS" connector up by hot plugging + playing around with "adaptors" ,,,

freddy , a simple Tech ,,,trying to put up wih earache ,,but make an honest living.

Oh Freddy.....

HAHAAHHAH, guess what guys. The new board does the same thing. Can anyone guess what's going to happen in about three weeks, hehe.

HAHAAHHAH, guess what guys. The new board does the same thing. Can anyone guess what's going to happen in about three weeks, hehe.

Let me guess, you "*ucked the PS2 sockets up" with the wireless kb and mouse again

That is very odd. I have the same board and I have never had this type of problem with it.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

[quote]Originally posted by Aplustech:

Let me guess, you "*ucked the PS2 sockets up" with the wireless kb and mouse again

That is very odd. I have the same board and I have never had this type of problem with it.

I concur, this is weird. I am going to see if maybe the case is preventing the keyboard from being completely plugged in. Other than that I have no ideas. I think that Soyo K7VDragon+ KT266A board is looking like a fine replacement board for me.

Banned

I concur, this is weird. I am going to see if maybe the case is preventing the keyboard from being completely plugged in. Other than that I have no ideas. I think that Soyo K7VDragon+ KT266A board is looking like a fine replacement board for me.

are you still saying that you are getting the "press xxx" to continue ?

then does the machine boot , and your kboard/mouse work ?

what is the software if any for the combo , maybe your bios dos,nt like a wireless setup , and its telling u it cant do checks for them,

can u still go in bios with wireless?

and is the "press xxx" still there with a std combo.

and finally are they plugged in the correct sockets